Type 2 Hi blood sugars

Hi, in need of some advice... I had a bit of a scare, new to all of this but this morning as I tried to watch church I started to feel rubbish, sick a bit of a headache and very very sleepy. I checked my blood sugars and they were 21.6 I have never had anything above 11. I rang 111 for advice who sent a paramedic, he checked me over and was happy for me to manage at home and call back if needed. Now I am worried this might happen at work (I work in a school with reception children) any advice so I can sleep tonight??

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Hi @HighlandAmanda, I have T1, so I’m not sure how high blood sugars are managed by a T2, but I do know that the symptoms you describe are worrying. How are you feeling now? Are you drinking plenty of water to help flush the sugars out of your system and to help your kidneys cope?
If you continue to feel unwell, and especially if your blood sugars rise further, then I would call 111 again. DKA is dangerous and to be avoided.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
You might post on your profile if you are a type1 or type 2 diabetic. Also helpful is how long and what meds if any you are on if you wish, it just helps everyone help you easier. But I believe you are a type 2 following mostly keto?

I am going to assume you had breakfast and it would have to do with what you ate. But even if you ate something low carb our liver can kick in some glucose either before you get up (DP) after you get out of bed (FOTF) This is usually a pattern every morning though. Is this just out of a blue thing or have your numbers been creeping up?

Hi, in need of some advice... I had a bit of a scare, new to all of this but this morning as I tried to watch church I started to feel rubbish, sick a bit of a headache and very very sleepy. I checked my blood sugars and they were 21.6 I have never had anything above 11. I rang 111 for advice who sent a paramedic, he checked me over and was happy for me to manage at home and call back if needed. Now I am worried this might happen at work (I work in a school with reception children) any advice so I can sleep tonight??
Sorry... I am in week 5 of diagnosis of type 2, following the keto diet and taking metformin twice a day.

You might post on your profile if you are a type1 or type 2 diabetic. Also helpful is how long and what meds if any you are on if you wish, it just helps everyone help you easier. But I believe you are a type 2 following mostly keto?

I am going to assume you had breakfast and it would have to do with what you ate. But even if you ate something low carb our liver can kick in some glucose either before you get up (DP) after you get out of bed (FOTF) This is usually a pattern every morning though. Is this just out of a blue thing or have your numbers been creeping up?
I had had my breakfast but only just. I have had the odd 11ish but nothing like this xx

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
DKA is diabetic ketoacidosis. High blood glucose and high ketones are an indicator of this fast progressing and sometimes fatal condition. It occurs more typically in type 1 but very occasionally in Type 2. It is treatable but you do need to act early and not ignore it. This is why is anyone here has very high levels, particularly they have more than minor ketones that are normal for them (eg on keto diet you expect to see some) and without doubt if they feel unwell are told they should seek medical advice

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Numbers can go up with dawn phenomenon, stress, illness, lack of sleep, infection as well as food. If it goes high again tonight call 111 back again just to be on the safe side. If it is high do not eat anything containing carbs! Drink water (within reason, don’t drown yourself) and if safe try and move around or go for a walk (accompanied to be safe) to help lower things. Still seek help though if it doesn’t soon come back down.

The other consideration if you really are keto/low carb and have no infections etc is that you might be a misdiagnosed type 1 / LADA. Did they do tests on diagnosis to check type or just assume type 2?

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
DKA is Diabetic Ketoacidosis. A type 1 is at risk the most but a type 2 can also be at risk. Especially if you are a misdiagnosed type 1. It is a dangerous disease and can be life threatening pretty quickly. The reason a type 2 isn't as likely to get it is they are still producing insulin, they just aren't utilizing it well.

https://www.diabetes.org/diabetes/complications/dka-ketoacidosis-ketones

One thing to always keep track of, is if you do everything right and your numbers keep climbing, you could be a misdiagnosed type 1 instead. 35% of type 1's are misdiagnosed as type 2 at first. Type 1/LADA still make some insulin for a while so medications and change of diet can sometimes seem to work at first.

Reactions: SaskiaKC

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
What is DKA??
Diabetic ketoacidosis. It arrives with a high ketone count, higher than the ketones produced by the Keto diet. It’s a sign that you can’t process the carbohydrates you eat or release from stores in the liver and fat cells, into glucose required to make energy. The side effects are not good as the body begins to poison itself.

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
Just a thought @HighlandAmanda did you confirm that high reading by giving your hands another wash and retesting. Sometimes a reading way out of what you expected can be caused by something on your fingers or maybe a faulty strip, it could even be the meter. Meters are accurate to plus or minus %15 for %90 of the time that means that it's possible for 1 in 10 of the results to be extremely inaccurate.
I'm guessing that when the paramedic arrived your levels had returned to a more acceptable level which is why you were left to your own devices and not taken to hospital. It must have been a frightening experience I hope you're feeling better now

Just a thought @HighlandAmanda did you confirm that high reading by giving your hands another wash and retesting. Sometimes a reading way out of what you expected can be caused by something on your fingers or maybe a faulty strip, it could even be the meter. Meters are accurate to plus or minus %15 for %90 of the time that means that it's possible for 1 in 10 of the results to be extremely inaccurate.
I'm guessing that when the paramedic arrived your levels had returned to a more acceptable level which is why you were left to your own devices and not taken to hospital. It must have been a frightening experience I hope you're feeling better now
Hi thank you, I am feeling better today. I did a couple of readings yesterday that were high. I am feeling the eating strain today xx

Reactions: Juso

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Good evening @HighlandAmanda, it’s good to hear that you’re feeling better! However, if you’ve had a couple more high readings then it’s still a good idea to get in touch with your doctor, or whoever carried out the diagnosis of T2 and prescribed metformin and ask for a review.
I don’t know if you read @HSSS’s post?
These high blood sugars you’ve been getting are something that need to be looked at by a diabetes team; you may need to have your medication reassessed.
Well done for recognising that you might be able to do something about the highs, for posting here to seek help, for being careful about what you eat and for getting to a state where you felt much better.