Insulin abroad

TypeZero.

I will be taking my insulin and all diabetes stuff with me abroad. Do people really get a letter from the doctor each time they go abroad? I heard they charge as well.

The things I will be taking are my: insulin needles, lancets, lancer, test strips, Libre, Lantus and NovoRapid.

Do I have to request a letter from the GP? Or can I just get away with showing my repeat prescription slip? Also does the X-ray scanner or whatever they use damage insulin?

Thanks for the help

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
I will be taking my insulin and all diabetes stuff with me abroad. Do people really get a letter from the doctor each time they go abroad? I heard they charge as well.

The things I will be taking are my: insulin needles, lancets, lancer, test strips, Libre, Lantus and NovoRapid.

Do I have to request a letter from the GP? Or can I just get away with showing my repeat prescription slip? Also does the X-ray scanner or whatever they use damage insulin?

Thanks for the help

A letter from the hospital is free.

You can get it from your GP, and pay, but make sure it's undated - then you can use it forever, or until they find a cure for T1 !

Everything you carry can go through the scanner, but if you ever get an insulin pump, some electronic items are sensitive to X-rays so ask the manufacturer.

Reactions: TypeZero.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people

Thanks for the help

Get in touch with your DSN. They will not charge you. The scanners do no harm to insulin

Reactions: TypeZero. and ert

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
When travelling to Australia, I took a letter and prescription from my GP, just as a precaution, but never had to use them. I took all of my insulin in a Frio bag to keep it cool and carried it, and all my other equipment in my hand luggage (in case my luggage got lost.) It wasn't flagged up when scanned through security. But they wanted to scan my attached Freestyle Libre separately with a wand.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Regarding the prescription question, this is from the LGW security pages:-

upload_2020-6-30_10-35-52.png

Find the full text here:-
https://www.gatwickairport.com/at-the-airport/flying-out/security-advice/

I think you will find that most airports have similar words on their websites. Although I have never been asked for a letter, I don't want to be turned back at security by an overly officious customs person obeying every rule.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would agree it sensible to also take a copy of your (at that point) latest repeat prescription, just in case for whatever reason you need to acquire more supplies.

In some countries, even where items are prescription only, they will sometimes fulfill a requirement, if you have your prescription, or in some locations, will even do it simply on sight of the bottle or packaging detailing the item), and matching with your passport).

It very much depends where are what you were to need, but a prescription counterfoil is still really valuable.