Feeling yuck

Woo_hoo

Hi I've just been diagnosed type 2 diabetic about 3 weeks ago .I've been taking Metformin 500 mg once a day .for the first 10 days i thought I felt like a new person but the last couple of days I've been really tired again and getting blurred vision in the morning and feeling like ****. Also a little pins and needles in hands but not like before. Will this get better as my body adjusts. And is it best to take it morning or evening. Havnt really had a lot of help from my doctors tbf.im finding things out on here. Thanks .malc daley

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi I've just been diagnosed type 2 diabetic about 3 weeks ago .I've been taking Metformin 500 mg once a day .for the first 10 days i thought I felt like a new person but the last couple of days I've been really tired again and getting blurred vision in the morning and feeling like ****. Also a little pins and needles in hands but not like before. Will this get better as my body adjusts. And is it best to take it morning or evening. Havnt really had a lot of help from my doctors tbf.im finding things out on here. Thanks .malc daley

Hi and welcome
You've come to the right place. So many of us were where you are now feeling lost, bewildered, anxious, upset and so many more emotions.

Firstly I will say yes things will get better including your eyesight.

I don't take any medication so sorry I can't help with that question.

I found so much help, advice and support on here.

This is a great link, have a read and a look around the site, someone will always be here if you have any questions:

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog-entry/the-nutritional-thingy.2330/

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.

Are you checking your blood glucose levels? What are they like ?

If not, I would strongly suggest that you get a glucose meter so that you get a feel for what's going on.

Woo_hoo

Hi all ,I havnt got a glucose machine . I'm eating healthier ,trying low carb and cutting sugars out as best I can ,I've lost weight aswell. Think IL start taking my tablet around lunchtime instead of morning and see if it makes a difference. Thanks all for your help

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome,

Unfortunately many people find they don't get the help they need from their GP.

Is there a reason you haven't got a meter? I ask because for me I would not have been able to make the changes I have without it. Those changes means my HbA1c is in the normal range.

Good l.uck and welcome and read around- there is a lot of wisdom here.

Reactions: Woo_hoo

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
Hi Malc. Most of what you are experiencing is due to your body adjusting to lower blood glucose and a reduced carbohydrate intake. This is something that many of us have been through! Stick with it as you will begin to feel better.
Also, do take your Metformin at breakfast time. It will help regulate glucose release from the liver and this is particularly likely to happen after you wake up.

Woo_hoo

Hi yes I have been taking it as soon as I wake up in the morning. But the past 4 days been groggy and vision blurred .I never used to east ereakfast so think I may try to take it at lunchtime instead. I've also looked into the glucose metre but thought I'd see how I go without one as just newly diagnosed But even then I don't really know what is good sugar readings on the metre and bad in numbers

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi yes I have been taking it as soon as I wake up in the morning. But the past 4 days been groggy and vision blurred .I never used to east ereakfast so think I may try to take it at lunchtime instead. I've also looked into the glucose metre but thought I'd see how I go without one as just newly diagnosed But even then I don't really know what is good sugar readings on the metre and bad in numbers

Ah but if you buy one you soon will, especially being guided by the people on this site. Believe me, within a fortnight you will be an expert on the numbers. I actually think the time to get a meter is WHEN you are newly diagnosed otherwise you will not know how food affects your glucose levels and that is the key to getting better numbers. Also, your blurred vision could be caused by lowering levels but you won't know until you test! Honestly it's a disgrace that all diabetics don't get the meters on prescription but if you can afford one, get it now. x

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
It takes some time, I was diagnosed March 3rd. Between the symptoms, medication side effects, and getting adjusted to the low carb lifestyle.. well I had little energy, a real struggle to get the motivation to get out and exercise. It does get better, lots better, just grind through the process

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Do get hold of a meter as it's essential. Plain Metformin can cause bowel upset for a few weeks and sometime slonger but normally clears. If it doesn't, do ask to be changed to Metformin SR (Slow Release) which is much kinder. It's a very safe and good drug but never does that much for BS but still worth taking.

Woo_hoo

I originally found out my blood sugars had gone up to diabetic numbers about the same time as you but as they had only tipped over from pre to diabetic the nurse wouldn't give me anything,told me to try diet and exercise to bring them down ,I did so and lost nearly 2 stone ,when I went back in June they had shot up even higher ,(work that one out) , I'm still waiting for the nurse to contact me about the group I can join. I'm only hoping that I can reverse this and not be diabetic but time will tell. It's all in the hands of the diabetic god's

Woo_hoo

Hi. Do get hold of a meter as it's essential. Plain Metformin can cause bowel upset for a few weeks and sometime slonger but normally clears. If it doesn't, do ask to be changed to Metformin SR (Slow Release) which is much kinder. It's a very safe and good drug but never does that much for BS but still worth taking.
I'm not having them symptoms now .only for about a week or so

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
Just to check: you say you are trying low carb and cutting out sugars. Does this mean that you have cut out rice, pasta, potatoes, products made with flour etc? If not, that account for your blood sugar levels increasing despite the low dose of Metformin.
It could also be that you have been incorrectly diagnosed as Type 2 and that you have one of the other forms of diabetes instead. It is very unusual to have lost weight and have increased blood glucose levels if you are Type 2 on a proper low carbohydrate diet.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I originally found out my blood sugars had gone up to diabetic numbers about the same time as you but as they had only tipped over from pre to diabetic the nurse wouldn't give me anything,told me to try diet and exercise to bring them down ,I did so and lost nearly 2 stone ,when I went back in June they had shot up even higher ,(work that one out) , I'm still waiting for the nurse to contact me about the group I can join. I'm only hoping that I can reverse this and not be diabetic but time will tell. It's all in the hands of the diabetic god's
If you’ve lost weight and cut carbs and your numbers have gone up you need testing for type 1 and LADA. C-Peptide and antibodies are the ones.

Whether you are type 1 or 2 you will remain diabetic. But you can get control and maintain non diabetic numbers by your efforts. If you leave it to any gods alone then things won’t go so well.

Reactions: Woo_hoo and KK123

Woo_hoo

Just to check: you say you are trying low carb and cutting out sugars. Does this mean that you have cut out rice, pasta, potatoes, products made with flour etc? If not, that account for your blood sugar levels increasing despite the low dose of Metformin.
It could also be that you have been incorrectly diagnosed as Type 2 and that you have one of the other forms of diabetes instead. It is very unusual to have lost weight and have increased blood glucose levels if you are Type 2 on a proper low carbohydrate diet.
I have changed bread to wholemeal and rice to brown ,eating more veggies and salads .if i have any carbs I have as low as possible. Don't eat alot of bread or rice anyways. I've been pre diabetic twice before being diagnosed type 2.im very good at losing weight even in lockdown

Woo_hoo

I have changed bread to wholemeal and rice to brown ,eating more veggies and salads .if i have any carbs I have as low as possible. Don't eat alot of bread or rice anyways. I've been pre diabetic twice before being diagnosed type 2.im very good at losing weight even in lockdown
I've looked at diabetic websites and it says u can have carbs but small amounts but not everyday,I'm finding some websites contradict there selves hence my confusion

Woo_hoo

If you’ve lost weight and cut carbs and your numbers have gone up you need testing for type 1 and LADA. C-Peptide and antibodies are the ones.

Whether you are type 1 or 2 you will remain diabetic. But you can get control and maintain non diabetic numbers by your efforts. If you leave it to any gods alone then things won’t go so well.
I had lost weight between march and June .but to be honest I was eating carbs and the like, it's only since being diagnosed that I have really cut carbs and sugars out big time and have changed my diet. And have lost more in June due to calorie intake. .thanks for your help

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you read jo’s blog thingy? (It’s in my signature) This is all the best advice that works from the combined lived experiences of many type 2. Too many articles are based in the past with little basis in reality!! even form official sources.

Most of us find that brown or wholemeal versions make little difference in terms of blood glucose numbers. They are still carbs just the same. One of the myths that still exist sadly.

Weight loss can definitely help but it really is the result of poor insulin usage and inability to deal with carbs. Address the root cause of the problem (poor carb management) and the weight often sorts itself out.

And make sure you have electrolytes. Lack of these can make you feel yuk when changing to a low carb diet.

Changing to lower blood glucose levels that you are used to can do too and temporarily effect eyesight, but will pass. Testing will identify this.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had lost weight between march and June .but to be honest I was eating carbs and the like, it's only since being diagnosed that I have really cut carbs and sugars out big time and have changed my diet. And have lost more in June due to calorie intake. .thanks for your help
If you lost weight whilst still eating carbs that’s another concern adding to the type 1 concerns. Please ask about it.

Low carb doesn’t mean low calorie. We increase fats for energy, but we can process these unlike carbs which we type 2 store as fat instead of use for energy.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Unfortunately any form of bread and rice, even though in small amounts, is quite high in carbs.
As A type 2 I don't eat any except for the very very occasional protein or livlife bread, at 4 gm of carb per slice. I avoid potato rice, pastry, most grains, high carb nuts, parsnip and other high carb root veges, most fruit - to stay under 40 gm per day.
I'd be very wary of what websites tell you can be eaten - if it doesn't come from someone who has been there and done it, it is of little practical value.
I did Hba1c of 91 to 47 in 80 days of eating low carb so I am sure it works - but I am a very ordinary diabetic, in remission for several years now.