Fasting glucose numbers

James127

Diagnosed type 2 - metformin and gliclazide are my meds. I usually take these morning and evening before meals.

My fasting numbers - upon waking, are always between 9 and 12mmol. I exercise daily and try to follow a good diet. I haven’t always followed a low carb diet but I have started. I am also going to try intermittent fasting. Does anyone have any advice on how I can lower these figures or give me an idea of what you lovely people are?

Reactions: LesJ57

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello, @James127 , and welcome to the forum!

Would you like to give us an idea about what you eat? Like sum up everything you ate and drank yesterday? It may be we can spot some hidden carbs there :)

Good luck and keep up the good work!

Reactions: LesJ57

James127

Hi there,
Breakfast yesterday was a small handful of cashews.
Lunch: the smallest bowl of cereal with skimmed milk
Dinner was: salad, no carbs, just chicken. I take the metformin and glic with meals. I try not to eat at all after 8pm. My ac1 test was higher than normal too. I also cycle about 12-15k daily.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there,
Breakfast yesterday was a small handful of cashews.
Lunch: the smallest bowl of cereal with skimmed milk
Dinner was: salad, no carbs, just chicken. I take the metformin and glic with meals. I try not to eat at all after 8pm. My ac1 test was higher than normal too. I also cycle about 12-15k daily.
That sounds like very little food to me. Are you eating enough or are you doing a low calorie diet? Also hardly any fats. Personally I'd change the cereal for bacon and eggs, or a nice filling omelet with lots of cheese and veggies.

But being a T1 on insulin, I'm a bit out of my depth on this thread, so let me tag @JoKalsbeek , who has loads of useful information about food and type 2 :)

James127

That’s wonderful Thankyou! I am trying to shift weight. In essence to help with the diabetes but of course it’s no use if my sugars are running so high, especially in the morning.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That’s wonderful Thankyou! I am trying to shift weight. In essence to help with the diabetes but of course it’s no use if my sugars are running so high, especially in the morning.
https://josekalsbeek.blogspot.com/2019/11/the-nutritional-thingy.html might help a little. Your dietary choices aren't exactly ideal at this moment, but with a few tweaks you'll get more energy out of your food while dropping carbs, and eventually, your fasting blood sugars 'll go down too.

You'll get this under control. ;)
Jo

James127

That’s excellent advice Thankyou!! I probably share the same mindset as other poorly advised people that eating fat is counterintuitive but as carbs as the “enemy” in fighting high bg is make perfect sense. I really appreciate that!

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
I found that I transitioned onto a Low Carb diet without problems by following advice here. That meant doing the reverse of what my GP and nurse said.

So I cut carbs down to 20gms to 40gms per day.
I re-started eating full fat dairy , eggs and fatty cuts of meat.
I was always eating very little highly processed foods, so I increased my salt intake. I supplemented with potassium at the same time (having cut out bananas) by going for a 'Lo Salt' substitute which is 60% Potassium Chloride and 40% Sodium Chloride.
My new diet meant my so-called Calorie count went up - but my weight came down at a nice sustainable 1lbs to 2lbs per week and I had plenty of energy.
However I didn't increase my daily exercise at all, just stuck to the 35 min brisk walk each day that I was doing since my Coronary Bypass.