Libre Bluetooth add on

Dave.c

Hello

just joined the forum and whilst this questions has probably been covered in a previous thread I wasn't able to find the answers I was looking for

I have been using the freestyle libre sensor for a few months now and am looking for a way to connect it to my mobile so that readings are taken automatically.

I had a chat with a friend about 6 months ago and he mentioned their were a few different options available but I can't recall the exact names. Doing a Google search brings up nightrider & miaomiao (which appears to be a different system to libre, so not really what I am after). Anyone using these or equivalent systems? Would be great to hear from you.

Many thanks
David

barrym

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
That's the write answer.

The miso miso is the Bluetooth device that stocks over the Libre, and there are various apps that will collect/manage the data.

HTH

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello

just joined the forum and whilst this questions has probably been covered in a previous thread I wasn't able to find the answers I was looking for

I have been using the freestyle libre sensor for a few months now and am looking for a way to connect it to my mobile so that readings are taken automatically.

I had a chat with a friend about 6 months ago and he mentioned their were a few different options available but I can't recall the exact names. Doing a Google search brings up nightrider & miaomiao (which appears to be a different system to libre, so not really what I am after). Anyone using these or equivalent systems? Would be great to hear from you.

Many thanks
David

There's a basic article here with some 'add on' types, http://diacyclist.me.uk/options-for-turning-libre-into-a-cgm/?i=1 there's some dedicated software for the devices and Iphones have less options, and some of the 'apps' require you to use another piece of free software for entering data but it's quite easily do-able and a worthwhile thing to do.

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
Bubble is cheaper than miaomiao and works well

Miaomiao 2 I also have but smaller than the bubble works of but support from the company is limited so best off using the Facebook group for it

Ambrosia blucon night rider worst device I’ve spent money on.. poor battery life and company support/admin will blatantly lie to you

alexask

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Also be aware that the Freestyle libre 2 is coming soon (and apparently for the same price), which I seems to have bluetooth connectivity. So buying an add-on at the moment probably would be bad-timing

Dave.c

Thank you all for responding, sounds like libre 2 would be the easiest option in terms of having it all running on one system. Dose any one know when it's due to be released in the UK?

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As far as I'm aware the Libre 2 has the ability to create alarms, 3 as standard, low, high and no signal which is a lot less functionality to what the current add ons give, that'll create software issues if Abbot doesn't share the bits needed for developers to code for, I'm pretty sure the ios xDrip hasn't been able to run the Libre 2 yet.

TypeZero.

If you want a Bluetooth connection you have two options:

1) Finance a Dexcom G6 instead of a Libre however it is more expensive

2) Buy a NFC to Bluetooth transmitter either MiaoMiao/ Bubble/ Nightrider to use with Libre. These transmitters are a one off

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

From my understanding the L2's BT feature can't be "jail broke" from the Abbott reader regarding use with other devices?
Which why I went for a MiaoMiao with Xdrip combo for my phone.

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hi,

From my understanding the L2's BT feature can't be "jail broke" from the Abbott reader regarding use with other devices?
Which why I went for a MiaoMiao with Xdrip combo for my phone.

Don’t think this is right

There is a hacked version of the android app for the libre2 that reads the glucose value from Bluetooth effectively making it a full on cgm

Not sure why Abbott don’t implement this as it sends the value to the reader/app every minute so the reader/app can send an alarm if required

Would have thought l2 would be a lot more desirable as a full on cgm

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Don’t think this is right

There is a hacked version of the android app for the libre2 that reads the glucose value from Bluetooth effectively making it a full on cgm

Not sure why Abbott don’t implement this as it sends the value to the reader/app every minute so the reader/app can send an alarm if required

Would have thought l2 would be a lot more desirable as a full on cgm

Hi,

Thanks for letting us know.! Sounds like a great move forward. :)
Got any links?

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Last edited:

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No I was reading in one of the libre Facebook groups. I’m on iPhone and on libre1 so don’t look any further as no use to me

Edit

Here is how you can get xdrip to receive data via Bluetooth from libre2

https://github.com/birdfly/Libre2-patched-App

Thanks again. I use xDrip on Android. Just bookmarked this incase i ever manage to get my hands on an L2.

DavidDK

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello. I wonder if anyone can help me.

I am using a MiaoMiao 2 and xDrip+ with my Libre 1. Whoever is selling the battery on the MiaoMiao 2 claims that the battery "may last up to 14 days. The first time I charged the MM 2 it lasted 10 days. The second time it lasted 8 days before needing to be recharged.

Do other people using MiaoMiao 2 have the same expeience? Or am I doing something wrong?

Thank you

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people

I am using a MiaoMiao 2 and xDrip+ with my Libre 1. Whoever is selling the battery on the MiaoMiao 2 claims that the battery "may last up to 14 days. The first time I charged the MM 2 it lasted 10 days. The second time it lasted 8 days before needing to be recharged.

Do other people using MiaoMiao 2 have the same expeience? Or am I doing something wrong?

Thank you

The MM2 battery life is pretty bad truth be told. People are usually getting around 8 days usage before its needing a charge

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Thank you

Hi,

I would concur with @porl69 . I'm on the same set up to you. (Though probably using a different receiver device.)
I find the actual MM transmitter excellent, but the bold manufacturer's claim on battery life with a full charge is an over estimate. To be fair. I still feel 8or9 days pretty good.