Apprehensive about hba1c test tomorrow

Chiefy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
T2D!!
Hi all, just venting really (!). Due my first 3 month hba1c tomorrow morning and was really hoping to bring it down from my initial point of 82. Very apprehensive. Have lost about 3 stone, cut carbs and my BG has usually been between 4.9 and 6.5, but recently been on steroids (2 weeks) for an infection and just took a reading of 9.5 (the highest I’ve had in 3 months). Not what I was hoping for the night before but I know it takes into account the last 3 months. Just keeping my fingers crossed. I’ll let you all know once I get the results.

Reactions: Dr Snoddy and KK123

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Fingers crossed for you. I worried about my first one too. Feels like an exam mark!

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
It is worth remembering that an HbA1c measures blood glucose levels over the previous 3 months. So, although your steroid intake may have had some effect I would put money on an improved result! Good luck!

Reactions: RGJ1970

Chiefy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
T2D!!
It is worth remembering that an HbA1c measures blood glucose levels over the previous 3 months. So, although your steroid intake may have had some effect I would put money on an improved result! Good luck!
Truly hoping! My GP isn’t the best to be honest and I’d love to show him a big improvement especially as I said to him if I can show over a period of time my levels come within the normal range I’d like to come off my metformin. His reply was that I was on them for life!

Reactions: Perminder1

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I expect from what you say your HbA1c will have come down, you are doing all the right things, you have lost a lot of weight, cut your carbs and your BG nos. look ok. The steroids I hear sometimes do increase blood sugar so if they have not come down as much as you wanted (although this has only been the last couple of weeks and the test is over the last 3 months) you are on the ball with this and you will get there - I feel you are really determined so you are doing your best to get your HbA1c down. Try to stop stressing (easier said than done I know). I wish you well - you deserve it - let us know how you get on. Take care

Last edited:

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Hba1c is a 3 month average, more heavily weighted to the last 2 or 3 weeks and it's certainly not a be all end all test. The steriods will have had an impact, so your best bet is to make of the result with the steriods holding you back a bit. The hba1c with no steriods involved will show pretty good progress I think and your levels look real good. I think you will see progress in the right direction as others have said. Good luck!

Jo_the_boat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Whatever happens, you've changed your diet and losing 3 stone is a teriffic effort.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Despite being on steroids the adjustments I made in diet and losing a serious amount in weight I eventually ended up with an A1c in the normal range so I think this may hold true for you as your steroid treatment was short term any way there is nothing you can do to change it now so worrying about it will not help you as you move on in your efforts what ever the result is take it as your new starting point and go on from there.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all, just venting really (!). Due my first 3 month hba1c tomorrow morning and was really hoping to bring it down from my initial point of 82. Very apprehensive. Have lost about 3 stone, cut carbs and my BG has usually been between 4.9 and 6.5, but recently been on steroids (2 weeks) for an infection and just took a reading of 9.5 (the highest I’ve had in 3 months). Not what I was hoping for the night before but I know it takes into account the last 3 months. Just keeping my fingers crossed. I’ll let you all know once I get the results.
Your HbA1c might show some increase from what it would have been, but really.... I think you've done really well. And it's not easy keeping your glucose down when you're on steroids. Lot of doctors would expect you to hit well into double digits while on the stuff, so you're doing an excellent job.

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Fingers crossed for you. I worry each and every time. We all have blips so don’t worry too much.

Last edited:
Reactions: JohnEGreen