What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello. First post in this section. I'm T2. Currently on Humilin M3 but have been going low carb for the past 9 days and reducing the Insulin as I go.

This morning 4.2. Yesterday 4.7.

I was advised yesterday to stay with the same injection amounts until Friday. Any advice is welcome.

P.
Hello, @Paulyw74 and welcome here.
Those fasting readings look rather good. Low carb reduced it by much? Not sure we can advise on the meds reduction, but if advice was from your medical team, then I would stick with it. Just a couple of days until Friday. What happens then? Re-evaluate with doctor, I hope?

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Simply my personal observation. I had a h/m burger last night - over 200g meat so fairly substantial. If I have steak for dinner I’m invariably high in the morning too. Happens to me too often to be coincidence, but I’m not giving up red meat. Maybe it’s another of those things that affects people differently.
What do you eat with the steak? Perhaps that is the culprit?
I find that adding some butter is best for keeping stable levels. Plus some halloumi chips, fried mushrooms and a glass or three of red wine.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What do you eat with the steak? Perhaps that is the culprit?
I find that adding some butter is best for keeping stable levels. Plus some halloumi chips, fried mushrooms and a glass or three of red wine.

I didn’t have wine last night - perhaps that was where it all went wrong! I usually have salad with olive oil or home made mayo, nothing carby, but I think it’s probably the size of my portions - can’t be doing with a small or medium sized steak!

Reactions: SaskiaKC

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
5.3 today - salad yesterday and I thought i might be lower but hey hoe. Probably gonna be higher as I'm just about to sit down with a cuppa and choccy! Bit late but after painting and redecorating I feel I've earned it. ;-)

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
3.9 this morning dinner yesterday was chicken pesto with olives and feta cheese. I used red pesto fairly low carb so that may account for a rather low reading this morning.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hug for bad dreams @PenguinMum, winner for realising things will come right. Fbg via Libre 4.4. Last day of this sensor so may be wrongly low BUT I don't have it in me to handle managing this condition any other way. I prefer scanning discy Mcdiscface to the fairly unhygienic stabometer.

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
5.6 for me
FB_IMG_1575876405583.jpg

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
6.0 this morning. Given the 15% error margin I shall assume it’s probably in the 5s so can get on with my day happily.
@PenguinMum hugs for bad dreams again.
@karen8967 couldn’t agree more with today’s little picture. Certainly true for me.
@ianpspurs to reply to your post about Google and 225g steak being most commonly ordered. I’m not at all surprised and I’d order it myself. However when I was learning cookery at school we were taught that to calculate how much meat to buy/ serve it should be 4oz per person off the bone and 6oz on the bone. This was in the 70s so wartime rationing well over by then. Just goes to show how we’ve all become accustomed to larger portions. ( if I buy steak from the butcher it’s well over 225g as he carves it off a big rump)

Reactions: karen8967

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
if I buy steak from the butcher it’s well over 225g as he carves it off a big rump
When I buy steaks from butcher he cuts it off at the thickness or weight I ask for. Quite often I would just ask for a thin cut. Grandson buys four sizzle steaks cooks them makes 12 eggs scrambled as a topping or melts cheese on the steaks puts that on a plate and eats the lot. In am not sure what his BG is like because much to my disgust he doesn't test.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
6.0 this morning. Given the 15% error margin I shall assume it’s probably in the 5s so can get on with my day happily.
@PenguinMum hugs for bad dreams again.
@karen8967 couldn’t agree more with today’s little picture. Certainly true for me.
@ianpspurs to reply to your post about Google and 225g steak being most commonly ordered. I’m not at all surprised and I’d order it myself. However when I was learning cookery at school we were taught that to calculate how much meat to buy/ serve it should be 4oz per person off the bone and 6oz on the bone. This was in the 70s so wartime rationing well over by then. Just goes to show how we’ve all become accustomed to larger portions. ( if I buy steak from the butcher it’s well over 225g as he carves it off a big rump)
Thanks for replying to what I thought I deleted. I wasn't trying to be intrusive. I just still don't have the faintest idea of what, how much and why to eat for the best. By the best I mean management of T2 without damaging other key markers of health. More confused now than I was 5 years ago.

Reactions: Mrs T 123 and DJC3