I think I'm about to be diagnosed as pre-diabetic

HI,I'm a 65 year old man,had some routine bloods done about 3 months ago,and for the first, a HbA1c,which came back at 44,GP said repeat after 3 months,and today's was 42.After I saw the first result,I decided I should make some lifestyle changes. I've had hyperlipidaemia for 20 years originally bad (cholesterol 10. fasting) but now seems more stable,had a stroke 10 years ago with good recovery,apart from short term memory loss,but have been increasingly overweight since I was 30,at the time of the test I was 13 st 6 lb and am 5'7" tall,with a a previously slim build,I weighed 9 st 10 lbs at age 31,when I met my wife. So,the changes, a LCHF diet,increased exercise and trying not to panic. After 10 weeks I have lost 18 lbs,now 12 st 2 lbs,am now riding my bike wearing a HRM,and staying within the aerobic zone for a total of 4 1/2 hours a week,and feel better than I have for years,but am disappointed that the HbA1c has not come down more,I really don't want to take metformin,which I understand is drug of choice,as I don't like the sound of the side effects,so is there anything else I should be doing to try to bring it down ?

Reactions: LaoDan and EllieM

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What does low carb mean to you? What’s a typical day food and drink wise

Reactions: EllieM

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Are you using a monitor to test blood glucose regularly? This gives immediate results rather than waiting 3 months for each hbA1c

I haven't been testing my glucose as I was advised to wait until the repeat HbA1c. A typical day's food and drink is 35-40 gms carbs most of calories from meat fish and olive oil,large portions of vegetables,especially with evening meal,and a bottle of white wine.I was pleasantly surprised that with the high fat content of the diet, my total cholesterol has dropped from 5.0 to 4.2,which as I remember is the lowest it has ever been.

Reactions: andromache

andromache

HI,I'm a 65 year old man,had some routine bloods done about 3 months ago,and for the first, a HbA1c,which came back at 44,GP said repeat after 3 months,and today's was 42.After I saw the first result,I decided I should make some lifestyle changes. I've had hyperlipidaemia for 20 years originally bad (cholesterol 10. fasting) but now seems more stable,had a stroke 10 years ago with good recovery,apart from short term memory loss,but have been increasingly overweight since I was 30,at the time of the test I was 13 st 6 lb and am 5'7" tall,with a a previously slim build,I weighed 9 st 10 lbs at age 31,when I met my wife. So,the changes, a LCHF diet,increased exercise and trying not to panic. After 10 weeks I have lost 18 lbs,now 12 st 2 lbs,am now riding my bike wearing a HRM,and staying within the aerobic zone for a total of 4 1/2 hours a week,and feel better than I have for years,but am disappointed that the HbA1c has not come down more,I really don't want to take metformin,which I understand is drug of choice,as I don't like the sound of the side effects,so is there anything else I should be doing to try to bring it down ?
What wonderful progress! Well done. Quite honestly, it has probably taken you a few years to run slowly but surely into metabolic trouble, and maybe it would be no surprise if it took you a little while to reverse out of that and recover your health fully. Please do not be discouraged if things do not happen as quickly as you wish - you're in this good health business for the long haul and you've come a long way already with those great improvements in your weight and your fitness. And never mind if it turns out that medication, at least to start with, is part of your armoury to get properly well again. If you keep on giving your system a chance to thrive by eating LCHF, even if you do need some meds to begin with, maybe you won't need them for long.

Reactions: Divia