Help Please

dehghani

Hi All,

Hope you're keeping well and safe

Just wondering if you can help me out as I am slightly confused at the moment

I had a full blood test in December 2019 and my HBA1C was 36.3mmol/mol

Another blood test in June 2019 and HBA1C had raised to 42.95mmol/mol and I was informed this is prediabetic

I repeated this test this week and included fasting glucose, the HBA1C remained around the same but fasting glucose was in the normal range at 4.39mmol/L

I'm not too sure what has happened in the past six months which has raised by HBA1C?
Why is my fasting glucose low but HBA1C higher?

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Your HBA1C is an average of about 3 months. Your fasting number is just a brief glimpse. Your fasting levels can vary by what you ate the night or day before. I would guess that you are staying higher after you eat and for a longer period of time than a "normal" person does, hence the higher HBA1C.

The best investment you could do is get a meter and start checking fasting/morning, before you eat and 2 hours after you eat and that will give you the best idea of what is going on.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All,

Hope you're keeping well and safe

Just wondering if you can help me out as I am slightly confused at the moment

I had a full blood test in December 2019 and my HBA1C was 36.3mmol/mol

Another blood test in June 2019 and HBA1C had raised to 42.95mmol/mol and I was informed this is prediabetic

I repeated this test this week and included fasting glucose, the HBA1C remained around the same but fasting glucose was in the normal range at 4.39mmol/L

I'm not too sure what has happened in the past six months which has raised by HBA1C?
Why is my fasting glucose low but HBA1C higher?
Diabetes, or prediabetes, if you will, is a progressive condition unless you do something about it. So if you haven't changed your diet, it's not surprising your HbA1c is changed a half year after testing in December. As for your fasting, there's a lot of things that can impact that and none of them make it, therefor, especially useful as a test. Testing around meals would be a lot more informative. https://josekalsbeek.blogspot.com/2019/11/the-nutritional-thingy.html might help you take some steps to get your blood sugars back into the normal range. Because that CAN be done, you know. ;)
Good luck!
Jo

Last edited: