HbA1C test failed

Slugsy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi All,
I have been a member here since I was first diagnosed as T2 a couple of years ago. Thanks to the great advice and information, I've so far managed to successfully control my T2 through diet and lifestyle. However, something strange happened a couple of weeks ago with my annual check-up. The blood test results all came back fine, except the HbA1C test failed and I got a message, "Unable to report HbA1c due to sample interference." So I had another test, and that failed too. I got similar feedback, "Unable to report a reliable result due to sample interference. Please use Fructosamine test." So now I have a fructosamine test booked for next week. The lab didn't seem concerned, but I have asked my GP to ask if they know why it happened and whether we should carry out any other tests to get to the bottom of it. It's quite worrying. Has anyone else had this happen or know what might be the cause? Thanks.

Slugsy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Have you googled that message?
Thanks for the reply. I found some quite technical stuff in medical journals about how haemoglobin "variants" (e.g. sickle cell) can interfere and give false results, but didn't see anything about test failing.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I googled your first message, leaving out the reference to fructose.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All,
I have been a member here since I was first diagnosed as T2 a couple of years ago. Thanks to the great advice and information, I've so far managed to successfully control my T2 through diet and lifestyle. However, something strange happened a couple of weeks ago with my annual check-up. The blood test results all came back fine, except the HbA1C test failed and I got a message, "Unable to report HbA1c due to sample interference." So I had another test, and that failed too. I got similar feedback, "Unable to report a reliable result due to sample interference. Please use Fructosamine test." So now I have a fructosamine test booked for next week. The lab didn't seem concerned, but I have asked my GP to ask if they know why it happened and whether we should carry out any other tests to get to the bottom of it. It's quite worrying. Has anyone else had this happen or know what might be the cause? Thanks.

Slugsy, the HbA1c test isn't always reliable for some folks. Examples are those who are anaemic, or have sickle cell disease, or are of Afro-Caribbean heritage.

That's not an exhaustive list, but it could be worthwhile Googling something like "why a fructosamine test", or "HbA1c versus Fructosamine tests".

I haven't done either of those searches, so can't comment any anything specific you might find.

Slugsy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Slugsy, the HbA1c test isn't always reliable for some folks. Examples are those who are anaemic, or have sickle cell disease, or are of Afro-Caribbean heritage.

That's not an exhaustive list, but it could be worthwhile Googling something like "why a fructosamine test", or "HbA1c versus Fructosamine tests".

I haven't done either of those searches, so can't comment any anything specific you might find.
Thanks - will do so.

Slugsy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I googled your first message, leaving out the reference to fructose.
Thanks - I tried that and found some technical stuff mentioning some nasty conditions that can give inaccurate results. The only thing I could find that mentioned no results is where there is no HbA due to "homozygous forms of haemoglobin variants (e.g. HbSS)". Think it will need more tests.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
My own results don't tally - I have readings under 6 after eating, yet my Hba1c pf 42 indicates higher than that on average. As everyone seem happy with my results that is where things are - but they don't add up at all.

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
My own results don't tally - I have readings under 6 after eating, yet my Hba1c pf 42 indicates higher than that on average. As everyone seem happy with my results that is where things are - but they don't add up at all.
What's the percentage range on the meters as I bet they are far from accurate. The values seem close enough

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I have used four different meters from different makers. To have very consistent BG readings and Hba1c results for so long seems slightly improbable.

Slugsy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks - but my issue isn't about tallying - I've always had no issue with getting results from my HbA1C test previously. But this time it has just failed - no result at all - twice.

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “

I read that being dehydrated can affect the results. Pure conjecture, but I make it a point now to really hydrate by drinking lots of water with a pinch of salt during my fasting

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
Thanks - but my issue isn't about tallying - I've always had no issue with getting results from my HbA1C test previously. But this time it has just failed - no result at all - twice.

I’ve never heard of that term “Interference”, nor does google show anything explaining this. I think a call to the lab is in order. Or get a private test done

edit, found this.. .http://eclinpath.com/test-basics/interferences/

Slugsy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I read that being dehydrated can affect the results. Pure conjecture, but I make it a point now to really hydrate by drinking lots of water with a pinch of salt during my fasting
Thanks - will try that next time.

Slugsy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Update: Third HbA1c test failed. This time with message "Regrets, unable to obtain result for HbA1c. Please repeat."!!!
Waiting to see if the fructosamine test worked!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I had a test marked similar to yours. It wasn't the HbA1c as that came back normally. Everything came back normally apart from a couple of liver enzymes and the lipid panel. My nurse said the blood had probably clotted before these tests were done. It was nothing sinister at all.

Slugsy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I had a test marked similar to yours. It wasn't the HbA1c as that came back normally. Everything came back normally apart from a couple of liver enzymes and the lipid panel. My nurse said the blood had probably clotted before these tests were done. It was nothing sinister at all.
Thanks @Bluetit1802 I've got my post-results review with my practice nurse on Monday so I'll put that to her.