Keeping people with diabetes out of hospital

ebony321

Dislikes
Tomatoes, Rude people, Bees!
'In our assessment of current clinical practices, it became clear that, across the continuum of care, there are many gaps through which a patient can fall – managing their diabetes poorly and suffering complications or having their condition diagnosed too late. ''

These 'gaps' are more common in patient neglect. Many patients are told that high blood glucose levels are acceptable. Doctors telling patients not to self test and eat plenty of carbohydrates with every meal which results in high BG's because the patient does not have the facility to test to see how all these carbohydrates are effecting their BG's.

Insulin pumps are becoming more available. Surgery is a wide leap. Start with the small and effective. Give people the ability to test and take diabetes into their own hands instead of stumbling about in the dark and only knowing when their diabetes is out of control when their sight worsens or they are feeling the beginning of neuropathy.

Many elderly patients or those on lower wages and various benefits cannot afford to pay prescription prices or even full prices for test strips. I have also seen many stories of insulin users being restricted on the amount of test strips essential for good control.

It is a very well known practice which has been proven hundreds of times on this forum alone that test strips are the essentials for maintaining good control of diabetes and keeping people with diabetes out of hospitals where possible. However I don't see one single mention of this subject in your article?????

storm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I thought one of the comments a tad harsh

If people want to eat themselves to death with sugar that is up to them.
:shock:

then we get the apocryphal story
I had a pal who did the same recently. Would he give up sugar?No! Did they amputate for ulcers and pain? Yes! Did he die from this terminal surgery?Yes!
:roll: