Hospital food and low carb?

EliseC65_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi,
I’m type 2 and due up in hospital for kidney/ bladder surgery next week. Hopefully it’ll only be an overnight stay. Thing is I’ve looked at the menu and there is nothing at breakfast to eat that isn’t carb based. I’m happy to fast usually but as I won’t be eating much the day before due to pre-op fast from midnight, I’m not sure I can go that long especially as I’m on gliclozide and sitagliptin.

Wondering if I can smuggle in some bouillon concentrate and get hot water so at least I have something to tide me over until I get released. Or some cheese in a coolbox? Lunch is at 12 and I can get an omelette so that’s ok. But breakfast is all cereals or toast which I would love but will send my readings sky high. And I’m lactose intolerant so can’t even have cereal if I wanted it.

Has anyone else managed to get around this? (Poxy livewell diet!)

TIA

Reactions: MargaretR

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Maybe some boiled eggs and cheese, perhaps tomato and sweet pepper if you like it, even some sticks of cucumber and celery. Ask if there is a fridge which can be used for storage and put a label on the box with your name on it, perhaps.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Take whatever it is you eat in a small container with your name on it as already suggested. There should be a fridge for patients. It's what I do or you'll just be served a tray full of glucose and fructose. You can even take your own coffee and tea bags in if you want what you are used to. I find hospital coffee to be rather weak.

Reactions: ert

resander

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Would hospitals have micro wave ovens for reheating foods for use by diabetics, vegans etc. One for each floor/corridor maybe?

Can patients bring a fast-boil kettle and use on the bedside table? If so, they could drop a pre-prepared sealed plastic bag with foods that needs reheating into it, for example salmon and celeriac mash. Nice!

Reactions: EliseC65_

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Yes the NHS loves carbs! I would certainly consider reducing or stopping the Gliclazide for just that day if you do decide to not have breakfast otherwise there is a risk of a hypo; use your judgement. Sitagliptin should be OK as it stops working as BS becomes normal. I would take your own food in if you can such as sealed cheese, nuts etc

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
And ask the hospital. One local to me had a low carb menu but didn’t put it out or offer it unless asked.

Alternatively ignore the quantity limit and tick repeated amounts of the safer foods. Eg lots of eggs but no cereal. The meat and cheese but not the starch and then write all over it “low carb requirements so starch or sugar not suitable Please substitute safe options as requested”

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A bag of nuts would do me. No need for keeping it cool.
Or if you want to go ‘posh’ there are low carb nut or protein bars.

Please don’t think of it as smuggling food in.
If the hospital fails to provide nourishment suitable to your dietary needs, then they can have no objection to you providing food suitable for your needs.

The only thing is to check whether you should be avoiding any particular foods following the op. If so, then adjust your food package accordingly.

hope the op goes ok!

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I use both a cauliflower cheese 'bread' recipe and a cheese scone recipe that keep well outside fridge. Perhaps make some the day you go in and keep them handy.

The scones are 50g grated cheese (I like mature cheddar), 100g finely ground almonds, blitzed together with 2 medium eggs and 1tsp baking powder. Into buttered muffin cases, bake 220 for 15-20 mins.

The 'bread ' is 200g cooked cauliflower rice, 100g ground almonds, 100g grated cheese, 2 eggs, all blitzed together then into loaf tin or square 7 " tin 200 degrees for about 20 minutes

Can add chives ot other spices flavourings as you like.
Savoury, portable, tasty and low carb

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If it is one day, probably one meal, just have some toast, your bg will go up but it will come down again. No doubt you ate carbs for years before you were diagnosed, one meal makes no difference in the long run.

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Most NHS hospitals have no suitable substitutes for their high carb breakfasts, and often no place to store food. You will not be allowed a kettle as someone suggested but could get hot water from the hot drinks trolley.
I would make some nut bombs to take in as they will keep better in the overheated rooms. I make mine with coconut flour and any nut butter plus flavourings. I used to make these when travelling long distance by train.
I'd only take eggs or cheese to eat if you have a small freezer bag and freezer pack for it - hardboiled egg in its shell keeps best.
Another alternative is one of the single portion whey protein packets and a travel cup to shake it with water.
Or just take a pack of nuts?

Reactions: Gannet

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
If it is one day, probably one meal, just have some toast, your bg will go up but it will come down again. No doubt you ate carbs for years before you were diagnosed, one meal makes no difference in the long run.
Unfortunately a raised blood sugar increases the chance of developing infections - several of them love sugary blood.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Perhaps it does if it sets off the cravings and a run of carbs though

Redshank

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
BabyBel cheeses will keep out of the fridge for a few days

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Would hospitals have micro wave ovens for reheating foods for use by diabetics, vegans etc. One for each floor/corridor maybe?

Can patients bring a fast-boil kettle and use on the bedside table? If so, they could drop a pre-prepared sealed plastic bag with foods that needs reheating into it, for example salmon and celeriac mash. Nice!

To be honest, resander, I cannot imagine for a nano-second that any hospital would permit anyone who has just undergone surgery - likely under anaesthetic, to have boiling, or even near boiling water, in an electrical appliance on their bedside.

Can you imagine the outcry if it all went horribly wrong? [ shudder ]

EliseC65_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’ve decided to take in some pork scratchings and some mini cheeses I had in the fridge. Just to stave off any hunger pangs. And I’ll stick with water and black coffee. Don’t want to risk milk.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
I’ve decided to take in some pork scratchings and some mini cheeses I had in the fridge. Just to stave off any hunger pangs. And I’ll stick with water and black coffee. Don’t want to risk milk.

Now I'm getting hungry! :D