BYDUREON ONCE WEEKLY EXENATIDE

stephenT2

Speaking for myself, I spoke to my GP diabetic nurse about being prescribed this drug 2 days ago - she was surprised I'd heard of it as she only attended a seminar on it 2 weeks ago. On my enquiry, whilst I was with her, she phoned the hospital I attend (at their diabetic clinic) as I have an appointment next week. Over the phone, it was decided I would be a good candidate for Bydureon, though it would ultimately have to be approved by the consultant when I see him next week.

The hospital I attend falls under the Belfast Health Trust, and they started to prescribe it just a few weeks ago.

Big_Kev

stephenT2 said:
Thanks Big_Kev, that's exactly what I was looking for!

Am attending my diabetic clinic next week, and am hoping to persuade them that this is for me. Taking Byetta 14 times/week is now reaking havoc with my tummy, looks as if I've been a few rounds with that Tyson bloke.. :D

No Probs, your welcome.

I can't see you having problems moving from byetta to Bydureon it is £25 a month cheaper.

NHS are on a £ savings campaign, this qualifies and both parties win.

By the way, what size of needles are you using, I inject in the same area (right side stomach) all the time without your symptoms at the injection site.

The needles with Bydureon will be ok for anyone.

Kev :mrgreen:

stephenT2

By the way, what size of needles are you using, I inject in the same area (right side stomach) all the time without your symptoms at the injection site.

I've been on Byetta for over 4 years now without significant problems. It only started to bruise me after I recently had a tripple heart bypass, and a new replacement mechanical aeortic valve - as such I am now on Warfarin for the rest of my life. This drug has made my injection sites subject to bleeding, bruising, and a little soreness.

That's why I'm hoping to significantly reduce the number of injections perweek down from 14 to 1 :)

The Byetta needles I use are 6mm, but that's not really an issue... it's the frequency that causes the bruising.

Poodlelady

Dislikes
I dislike people who swear a lot, shout and are rude. I dislike people who tell me what I should and should not be doing when they haven't the first idea about Diabetes.
Re: exenatide once weekly injection

Is this new drug for T1 or T2? I am interested to find out more about it. I was only diagnosed earlier this year and am on steroids, which has thrown my levels totally out the window.

vjamesw

i have been on the new once weekly for 2 weeks now, ( second injection today), i cant really comment on if effective yet, i think i need a couple off months first, its more complicated than the pen version , ( e.g hold pen, click on needle, set dosage, inject, remove needle, done,) . bydureon comes as a kit, syringe(liquid inside),needle(ouch)adapter,vial,,. you start with the vial which has a powder in it, you have to tap it on a hard surface to loosen it, you then peal the top cover off and connect to adapter , you then pick up syringe, there is a snap off part at the needle end that you grip and snap off , (which is easy to snap off) just be careful not to push plunger, you then connect adapter to end off syringe, and push the liquid in syringe through to the powder in vial, you then hold plunger down and shake(you have to shake well, to mix contents you need it cloudy not lumpy , ) you then hold it with the vial on top, and tap it a few times then draw the plunger down ,( drawing the cloudy liquid back into syringe) you then twist off adapter and twist on needle( you have to twist the needle itself to break the blue seal to release the connection) , you then push plunder until the top off plunger inside syringe is inline with black line on syringe, you are now ready to inject ,this is the ouch bit , the needle is quite thick its not long but its quite thick , you hold the syringe on body and pull and the cover slides off, last bit as normal push needle in belly( or area off choice ) and push plunger .

i hope this helps! don't forget this may seem complicated but you only have to do this once a week

lostsoul

Is this new drug swallowed (what strength) or injected intramuscular or intravenously? The drug, as you stated, has a seven day working period. Any side effects?

Wirral

I have now been on 10mg Exenatide 2x day for 11 months, at first it made me nasueous but after a month got used to it and would take it about 10 mins before eating once I got into a routine I now take it 30 mins before meals and it has helped me drop 26 Ilbs in that time, I also find if you really fancy losing a bit more weight just take exenatide 45 mins before you are supposed to eat, its a great appetite suppresant.
I have found that the Glicazide is a problem and my Dr admitted they klnow it has problems in causing weight gain anyway she took me of of it and I must say I feel much better, my bloods are all in the 6 range and feeling better only take metformin and Losartan as well as Lipitor just another tip those that take Lipitor for Cholestrol if you get aches & pains a well known side effect of Lipitor I take a 1 week break from them every 8 weeks or so makes a real difference and I now take Soya Lecithin Granules spoon morning & night before meals Cholestrol now down to 4 and less aches! :D

Big_Kev

Big_Kev said:
Hi
I am moving too Bydureon next week from victoza, :mrgreen: could you please tell me how long before you can take Bydureon. I am assuming 1 week, even Lilly have taken 2 days and still no answer from them? :cry:

Very sad I have not had an answer from these forums :twisted:

Anyway, Doctor confirmed my thoughts 1 week, By the way my Doctor was on holiday, he deals with diabetes, not the one that gave me my requested prescription.

I got no help from Lilly either, they could not answer my question, I told them that was pathetic that they could not tell me how long to abstain from a competitors drug before starting their product.

thx

stephenT2

lostsoul said:
Is this new drug swallowed (what strength) or injected intramuscular or intravenously? The drug, as you stated, has a seven day working period. Any side effects?

The brand name of this new drug is called Bydureon - I have just been prescribed it today after 4 years on Byetta. It is a once/weekly injection. A bit more complicated to take than a simple 'pen injection', but as you only do it once a week, it's no great hassle.

You can have a look at the instruction leaflet here:

http://www.medicines.org.uk/EMC/pdfview ... ntid=24669

Steve D

weekly Injection

Have just been referred to my secondary care team with the view of been put on new once a week injection. Giving myself an injection scares me to death but if it helps control my type 2 diabetes then great. Any advice on taking the injection much appreciated.

Big_Kev

Hi
Been on Bydureon now for 3 days, no side effects yet but my BP seems higher than normal.
My sugars in the morning are averaging 12 but I have not tried too manage these by diet yet, but I will over the next couple of days.

I will update for those that are interested. :mrgreen:

Kev

Big_Kev

GrumpyAardvark said:
Jonjones said:
Just wanted to share my feelings on Bydureon exenatide once weekly, this is the 1st once weekly injection, I was on Victoza but a friend mentioned Bydureon. I asked my doctor for Bydureon and he was more than happy for me to switch, I can't express how happy I am, I only have to inject once a week!!! And my A1c is now 7%. Bydureon is the future!!!!!! :D :D

Interesting - what PCT are you with? They seem to have got it through approval pretty quickly. Was it a hospital/intermediate team doctor that prescribed it or your GP? Sorry for being a bit nosy but you sound q bit like a company rep sneakily pushing the drug online - which would be deeply naughty :twisted:

seems funny JonJones not kept up with his "sharing" post :shh:

Seems you are right Grumpy :thumbup:

stephenT2

Now on Bydureon - use to be on Byetta...

After being on Byetta injecions for 4 years, after a discusion with my consultant, I have now been prescribed the new drug injection - Bydureon. It really is an amazing development, reducing the number of annual injecions from 728, to just 52.

The preaparation is a little more complicated than an 'injection pen', but as it's only once/week, it is not onerous at all. In addition, you also have the ability to register with the official web site, and can get a weekly text sent to you as a reminder (you choose the day/time to receive it!)

The web site is 'www.bydureonbyyourside.co.uk'. You will need a password to access it, and I don't think I'm breaking any official secret act by stating it is: BYDUK

I simply obtained it by calling their help line, who asked for no personal details whatsoever. I can't comment yet on the effect of Bydureon, it's far too soon, but as a concept, I'm a massive fan!!

Osidge

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies.
Re: Now on Bydureon - use to be on Byetta...

Unfortunately my PCT are waiting for the definitive NICE guidance which is not expected till February 2012. I will have to wait till then.

Doug :(

IANGRINNELL

BYDUREON

Has anyone used the once a week injection called bydureon as i am due to start injecting this tomorrow. I was just wondering what side affects if any i can expect. :?:

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Re: BYDUREON

Hi Ian :)
There is a post about Bydureon which may give you the information you need in the link given on there:

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=25187

If you look at the Similar Topics beneath this post, you will find some more threads too.

SJW63

Re: BYDUREON

Hi Ian

I wondered how you were getting on with it. I've literally just started on Bydureon today. Would be interesting to compare notes with someone at the same stage with it.
Sue

SJW63

Re: weekly Injection

Hi

I've just started on Bydureon and had my second injection last night. So far so good! I did feel very nauseous the first couple of days on it but not so bad this morning. Have you started on it yet?

Sue