New diagnosis as type 2 Hba1c test 104 and in shock

Andy_J

Thanks everyone for advice, its just the change to full fat is what I have to get used to , but get some of it now they reduce fat and add sugars/carbs for taste. I read so much contradictory advice off the dreaded google I sooner reach out to people on here for more practical advise as some interesting suggestions. Love the idea of soda stream as not seen one of those in years but they do still make them which made me smile. I guess what was/is the most difficult is getting a general plan of what I can eat as a base matrix I guess.

It felt weird having bacon and egg for breakfast today , but its what I need to do.

Quite a few people have reminded me on other teas as I do love earl grey tea with lemon ( no milk ) so will be going back to that again now.

I do really appreciate the comments, feel free to send any ideas to me as its always welcome.

Crocodile

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I can't have it often
I have read many posts on this site with interest.some of the info is a little contradictory and confusing.saying that the general thread seems to have a lot of continuity which is reassuring.
Sometimes it seems like that. There is quite a variation in circumstances. Some are Type 1, some Type 2 and some other variants all requiring different approaches. For me at least I still don't understand why T1 and T2 are both categorised as diabetes when the two conditions are quite different. Despite that, the underlying theme is mostly similar. That is, Carbohydrates are not good for us. That really leaves only fats and proteins for our energy needs.

Reactions: Tink6366 and Janslv

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Andy_J , Small tip when it comes to contradictory advice: If something seems like a thing you want to try, use your meter when you do. It won't try to sell you on some diet or dogma, it'll just tell you whether it works for you or not. The internet is full of opinions, actual experts, botched/biased research and bona fide whackjobs, so.... Trust the meter. ;)

Perminder1

Welcome. I can only echo a lot of what Ellie has said.
Take a look at these links and all the stuff in them.

Intro to T2 and low carb. https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog-entry/the-nutritional-thingy.2330/
All the things I wish I’d been told earlier https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/th...ish-i’d-been-told-at-type-2-diagnosis.173817/

You’ll be better informed than many a type 2 that hasn’t found these or similar forums afterwards.

You were diabetic 2 yrs ago at 50. (48 and over is diabetic). Quite frankly this level of blasé and negligence I personally think is outrageous but sadly it’s not uncommon. Too many drs think it’ll only get worse anyway so why bother til it’s really bad :(

you say you’ve lost weight? Since when and how much? Did you have plenty to lose or will this leave you gaunt? Whilst not definitive being overweight (a symptom btw not just a cause) makes type 2 more likely. Being slim and losing lots of weight really does mean you should get checked for type 1 as that then is also a possibility (though a few type 1 will also be overweight so no hard and fast rules). Cutting out the sugars could be the simple reason for the weight loss too.

As well as the links above the diabetes code by Dr Jason fung is a good starter.

as to why you feel rubbish your body is used to swimming in sugar. You are in the process of withdrawing that and your body is having tantrums over it, trying to get you to feed it sugar again. Treat it like a toddler and ignore it and it will shut up and get used to the improving new normals. Also as you cut carbs be aware you will need to maintain fluids and electrolytes, more details in the links above. And make sure you get plenty of protein and fats. Hunger is not the goal.
I felt sane in March 20 when cut out all sugar and went low carbish I was sweating shaking ie like someone going cold turkey it goes after two weeks or so u will loose weight sugar is nasty stuff when gone u will feel healthier have more energy etc I cut out biscuit cakes sugar in tea etc also cut out pasta bread potatoes as much as possible I started walk 1 hour every day briskly and also cycling I am 47 now in end of June feel better ac1 due soon on metoformin x 3 my bs is normally 5.5 ish hopefully ac1 will have dropped from 90 it was in March 20 try not to stress worry etc you will be fine also great support on here smile now and have drink I just had tea no sugar of course ...I occasionally have shreded wheat only one in milk mind u

Perminder1

@Andy_J , Small tip when it comes to contradictory advice: If something seems like a thing you want to try, use your meter when you do. It won't try to sell you on some diet or dogma, it'll just tell you whether it works for you or not. The internet is full of opinions, actual experts, botched/biased research and bona fide whackjobs, so.... Trust the meter. ;)
We learn as we go internet makes u panic when there no need too...

Perminder1

Thanks everyone for advice, its just the change to full fat is what I have to get used to , but get some of it now they reduce fat and add sugars/carbs for taste. I read so much contradictory advice off the dreaded google I sooner reach out to people on here for more practical advise as some interesting suggestions. Love the idea of soda stream as not seen one of those in years but they do still make them which made me smile. I guess what was/is the most difficult is getting a general plan of what I can eat as a base matrix I guess.

It felt weird having bacon and egg for breakfast today , but its what I need to do.

Quite a few people have reminded me on other teas as I do love earl grey tea with lemon ( no milk ) so will be going back to that again now.

I do really appreciate the comments, feel free to send any ideas to me as its always welcome.
Omelette r good

Andy_J

Ok, another question.

I test every day first thing before any breakfast or medication and keep accurate notes of times.

I have cut out all what I call direct sugar from fruit juice, and sugar in drinks as I read the labels on everything now. The volume of carbs has been cut right back , but how quickly would I expect to see a drop in my sugar test levels or do I need to do more or be patient.

As an example my morning test for the past 5 days was 13.7, 14.6, 16.9,12.9.12.8.

Now I was one 500mb first thing before breakfast , and on day 3 it went to also include one before evening meal, if I can not be dependant on tablets if thats possible and control with diet then I would like that but just not sure how quick the changes in diet would impact.

If I am cutting all of it out (sugar/carb) would I see an immediate impact or not , should I test more, or do you think I am missing something else in my diet ( its had a major change) in the past 7 days in comparison to previous weeks..

PS ordered that book "The Diabetes code" should arrive today.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ok, another question.

I test every day first thing before any breakfast or medication and keep accurate notes of times.

I have cut out all what I call direct sugar from fruit juice, and sugar in drinks as I read the labels on everything now. The volume of carbs has been cut right back , but how quickly would I expect to see a drop in my sugar test levels or do I need to do more or be patient.

As an example my morning test for the past 5 days was 13.7, 14.6, 16.9,12.9.12.8.

Now I was one 500mb first thing before breakfast , and on day 3 it went to also include one before evening meal, if I can not be dependant on tablets if thats possible and control with diet then I would like that but just not sure how quick the changes in diet would impact.

If I am cutting all of it out (sugar/carb) would I see an immediate impact or not , should I test more, or do you think I am missing something else in my diet ( its had a major change) in the past 7 days in comparison to previous weeks..

PS ordered that book "The Diabetes code" should arrive today.
What are you currently eating? You're still pretty high, but you're only just getting started. Your liver needs some time to get clued in, and it is always slow on the uptake, and quick on the glucose dump. ;) Fasting blood glucose is the last to come down anyway. (Could be weeks, could be 6 months. A looooong time). That's why it's usually more motivating to see changes in pre and post prandial, because those show more immediate progress, on top of being more informative about the meals themselves. You are seeing a difference, it is going down, slowly.... So you're on the right track.

Reactions: Andy_J and Oldvatr

ExiledJack

I was diagnosed type 2 (satisfactory c-pep, neg antibodies) with a1c of 107 in March. Initially put on insulin but now just take metformin. I’m 31 and weigh 15 and a half stone.

Changed my diet completely so I eat a lot of meat and more fat now. Have about 80g carbs a day maybe less and I’ve gotten my fasted blood sugar down to 5.5 every day and I rarely have a post pandrial reading of above 6.8. Lost 3 stone since diagnosis.

It can be done mate and I the occasional treat is fine but don’t go eating your old diet every day again. I had an ice cream down the seaside yesterday and my reading was 4.7 two hours after so there is a balance to be had.

Last edited:
Reactions: Andy_J

Andy_J

The diet change is hardest for me, still trying as I look back and think oh @@@@. Some odd changes I am sleeping great, not just as I don't pee at night but sleep like a log and feel refreshed. The morning test was going down before food, had a jump today so we'll annoyed but see what tomorrow brings.

I do miss my fruit and fruit juice and cerials, bread and that's just about gone. Had two slices of bread today but its the low carbs one, will bin that off if needed.

I'm trying to make up recipes that I can enjoy, would love to know what ppl snack on

Andy_J

Been slowly going down since diagnosis, when it hit a morning test of 17 I was shocked, now down to a morning test of 8.9. So it's on the right track considering where I started. Diet changes have been major and I do crave some foods. Weight is going down as I can see the changes. Not sure how long before it goes down further. Started testing post meals and pre meals. Just expected a bigger drop sooner. Is this to be expected?

aard

There are some cold brew tea/tea-free infusions at the supermarkets now. I have struggled to find ones that don't use plastic brew bags - I think it was the Twinings ones that were ok but you would need to read the box.

brewbags? do you mean the bags the teas come in? if so what about clipper teas, their bags are supposed to be natural and they are in all the major supermarkets and most health shops?

Bodewhin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
brewbags? do you mean the bags the teas come in? if so what about clipper teas, their bags are supposed to be natural and they are in all the major supermarkets and most health shops?

I was speaking specifically of cold brew infusion bags. Some are plastic and some are more eco friendly.

Crocodile

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I can't have it often
Been slowly going down since diagnosis, when it hit a morning test of 17 I was shocked, now down to a morning test of 8.9. So it's on the right track considering where I started. Diet changes have been major and I do crave some foods. Weight is going down as I can see the changes. Not sure how long before it goes down further. Started testing post meals and pre meals. Just expected a bigger drop sooner. Is this to be expected?

You're doing good. A few years since diagnosis for me but from memory mine took a good few months to come down to consistent normal readings. Low carbs and losing weight were the biggest factors. Mine was 22.5 at diagnosis and fasting was 15.5 and checking my old spreadsheet it took four months to get to the point where I was under 6 before meals and under 8 2 hours later. Also lost 18kg in 9 months starting at 107kg down to 89kg. Today, low 5s before meals and high 6s to low 7s 2 hours later on less than 20g of carbs per meal. Hang in there.

Andy_J

It's going down still, just adjusting and trying to keep carbs so low is hard. Post food spikes are scarey as testing pre and post food but I guess thats expected. I do get tired earlier in evening and sleep better.

Weight loss is slowing but happy to lose more just I admit its hard not being able to talk to someone about it for tips so this site is great.

Olive_B

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's going down still, just adjusting and trying to keep carbs so low is hard. Post food spikes are scarey as testing pre and post food but I guess thats expected. I do get tired earlier in evening and sleep better.

Weight loss is slowing but happy to lose more just I admit its hard not being able to talk to someone about it for tips so this site is great.

I don't have much help to offer as I'm still very new to this all. Just wanted to say I empathize with how **** it is dealing with the cravings!

Andy_J

Yes the cravings are a killer, levels going down, had a weird day as it dropped to just over 4 and felt like ****. Doing the 2 hour post meal test gives me unexpected results some days as I record every item I eat. So I'm averaging this week at 6 the other week it was average at 12.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes the cravings are a killer, levels going down, had a weird day as it dropped to just over 4 and felt like ****. Doing the 2 hour post meal test gives me unexpected results some days as I record every item I eat. So I'm averaging this week at 6 the other week it was average at 12.
You’re doing great. An unusual 4 can feel **** because your simply not used to it. With time lower numbers will feel more normal. Whilst food is the biggest factor by far other things like stress, sleep, illness, activities all can have effects too.

We all reach different “normals”. If you’re averaging 6 after such a short time the outlook is excellent for you. 2 yrs down the line and a 15kg weight loss in the first 6 months still leaves me mid 6’s a lot, occasionally high 5’s, hb1ac low 40’s. Not as good as some but a whole lot better than I’d be without low carb for sure!

type2_2020

It did ...

I admit when I started to read everything and food labels and complex carbs etc its popped my head.

Today not so good as I admit I could kill for a bowl of cerials right now as that was my supper, and breakfast if not toast. So having cut all that out , fruit etc its amazing how much your body craves them

Stevia I am trying now, I did try another sugar replacement but it kind of left a horrid taste to me, not hitting it off with almond milk, would love to keep my full fat milk if I can based on how much I have cut out in the past few days doing the counts of everything has shocked me.

Labeling on food is still driving me nuts, I checked on the low fat foods and sure enough packed with carbs or sugar or both, so weird having to look at full fat yogurts for instance feels odd.

The amount of fruit juice I could drink in a day was out of control, but finding an alternative to plain water is hard. Been in the herbs today trying different options. Any suggestions would help.

AJ

I hardly drink water. I normally have fanta zero sugar or tesco ginger beer. no carbs or sugar in them. my bg levels are between 4 and 5, I have to be careful because of my low range and always carry something sweet with me in case of a hypo, but there are alternatives, try a low carb diet it'd be the best thing you can do. some people do 150g a day, i do 30g or lower a day, and the food is delicious.