Finding very low carb difficult

James1805

I was diagnosed with Type 2 a few months ago during chemotherapy for cancer which I have now completed. I have now come off the drugs and insulin and am trying to control it by very low carb. I use the Freestyle Libre sensor and collect a lot of data. Here are my numbers, upper target 8.5, last 7 days time in target 80%, last 14 days time in target 85%, average glucose last 7 days is 7.5. I find my body cannot tolerate much carb at all and I have to keep it around 20-30 grams to keep in target and I also have to do a lot of exercise. I eat a very good diet and do not miss sweet foods but I crave home made brown bread which I can only eat a small amount of. I am working from home and diabetes measurements and carb counting and thinking about it has taken over my life. I am getting discouraged and maybe a bit depressed and I have only started my diabetes journey. My experience of diabetes has been much worse and life changing than my experience of having cancer. It’s a living nightmare to be frank.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m sorry for the rough ride you’ve had. I for one and am pretty sure I’m not alone have found I can resist anything but temptation. I cannot have any of my trigger foods at all as I have no off switch. Or at least in the early months I was that way. I’ve largely lost the urge to try now 2 yrs down the line.

I also found counting all encompassing so I stopped counting and relied on the knowledge I’d gained whilst counting. I knew more or less which foods and which amounts kept me in range. I use my meter to make sure I keep to this rather than carb counting. I still check labels to see if foods meet my criteria (usually under 5% carb maybe a bit higher if quantity is small and for nasty ingredients) but don’t keep a running total anymore and haven’t regularly for a very long time. It feels too “diet” like and restrictive. I just know which foods I choose to eat and which will do me harm so I avoid them.

Being stuck at home is a mixed bag. It might provide more options but also more temptations. Try and plan meals/ snacks and simply not have the food you choose not to eat in the house so it can’t call your name ....

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
It is a tough mental game. Your Libre is a truthful friend giving you evidence based information. It is like you have cast iron proof that your partner is cheating on you, do you give them another chance knowing they will do it again or move to newer pastures.

Maybe if you can see if you can have a tastier alternative to the bread. Nothing is perfect, but buying or making Nandos chicken wings, Minted Lamb steaks or one of our go to shop bought favourites is Waitrose Rack of Ribs (without adding the sauce), anyone of these 3 with say some Black Bomber cheese and greens are examples, that should see off the bread.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@James1805

Sounds like you’re dealing with a lot all at once. The whole working from home thing has disrupted many people and made it harder to stick to eating plans. Can only imagine that’s intensified of you’re newly diagnosed and still getting used to things.

Sounds like you’re doing the right things, though and the Libre will give you excellent information. The thread @Brunneria mentioned is fab. Friendly, chatty and a range of food preferences/carb intakes. Recommend it for ideas and support.

Am also tagging @DJC3 as she may have some relevant thoughts.

James1805

I’m sorry for the rough ride you’ve had. I for one and am pretty sure I’m not alone have found I can resist anything but temptation. I cannot have any of my trigger foods at all as I have no off switch. Or at least in the early months I was that way. I’ve largely lost the urge to try now 2 yrs down the line.

I also found counting all encompassing so I stopped counting and relied on the knowledge I’d gained whilst counting. I knew more or less which foods and which amounts kept me in range. I use my meter to make sure I keep to this rather than carb counting. I still check labels to see if foods meet my criteria (usually under 5% carb maybe a bit higher if quantity is small and for nasty ingredients) but don’t keep a running total anymore and haven’t regularly for a very long time. It feels too “diet” like and restrictive. I just know which foods I choose to eat and which will do me harm so I avoid them.

Being stuck at home is a mixed bag. It might provide more options but also more temptations. Try and plan meals/ snacks and simply not have the food you choose not to eat in the house so it can’t call your name ....

Thanks that’s very helpful about not having some foods available to tempt

copilost

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had a blip at around three months, it was then it sort of became an ongoing change rather than a short term intervention. I'm still adjusting/learning and it's been a year although it's no longer 'difficult'.

It was a big change to my way of thinking and habits, unlearning stuff is hard! Not necessarily bad but it did take a lot of energy/commitment.

What worked for me was to identify a couple of no brainer low carb meals that were my go to when I couldn't be bothered. Before T2D mine was pasta with tomato sauce (haven't had pasta in over a year now!). Now it's courgettes with tinned fish (chilli sardines) or a bulk cooked mince, onion, tomato sauce that I freeze. Or eggs.

Basically it's something that works for me i.e. isn't stressful to prepare, is 'store cupboard', doesn't require portion control (no carb counting). I don't think it matters what it is (balanced diet, calories etc) as long as it works. It takes the pressure off and gives you some breathing space. Honestly if it was two burgers and a can of olives it wouldn't matter. Some people use cheese and nuts, or pork scratchings but for me it had to be a 'meal'. It's really personal I think.

Next I experimented and failed a lot! not that I pushed my bg up but I just really didn't like the things I tried :) but I have identified some things I do like and even prefer to previous stuff.

Then I acknowledged that it is a really big change, not so much not eating carbs (or as many carbs) but my whole approach to planning, buying and preparing meals. Including working out what is healthy and what isn't. Plus my relationship with my body has changed as it sends different messages at different times than it did before!

This week I thought "I could lose weight". I've lost weight this year but that wasn't the point. I realised I could actively choose to lose weight and it would stay gone :) Seems crazy that it's taken me a year to figure this out :banghead: but I think that is an indication of just how different everything is. Past expectations, experiences, 'knowledge' are all being challenged at once - it's quite the journey. That said, for me, it's much, much better now than before my T2D diagnosis. I wouldn't go back.

James1805

Thanks it’s great to hear about your experience and progress. One thing which is difficult to get used to is how patients are their own doctors and have to make a lot of decisions themselves. Meanwhile a lot of “diabetes experts” still seem stuck in the past and recommending eating a normal amount of carbs and letting insulin do the heavy lifting

I had a blip at around three months, it was then it sort of became an ongoing change rather than a short term intervention. I'm still adjusting/learning and it's been a year although it's no longer 'difficult'.

It was a big change to my way of thinking and habits, unlearning stuff is hard! Not necessarily bad but it did take a lot of energy/commitment.

What worked for me was to identify a couple of no brainer low carb meals that were my go to when I couldn't be bothered. Before T2D mine was pasta with tomato sauce (haven't had pasta in over a year now!). Now it's courgettes with tinned fish (chilli sardines) or a bulk cooked mince, onion, tomato sauce that I freeze. Or eggs.

Basically it's something that works for me i.e. isn't stressful to prepare, is 'store cupboard', doesn't require portion control (no carb counting). I don't think it matters what it is (balanced diet, calories etc) as long as it works. It takes the pressure off and gives you some breathing space. Honestly if it was two burgers and a can of olives it wouldn't matter. Some people use cheese and nuts, or pork scratchings but for me it had to be a 'meal'. It's really personal I think.

Next I experimented and failed a lot! not that I pushed my bg up but I just really didn't like the things I tried :) but I have identified some things I do like and even prefer to previous stuff.

Then I acknowledged that it is a really big change, not so much not eating carbs (or as many carbs) but my whole approach to planning, buying and preparing meals. Including working out what is healthy and what isn't. Plus my relationship with my body has changed as it sends different messages at different times than it did before!

This week I thought "I could lose weight". I've lost weight this year but that wasn't the point. I realised I could actively choose to lose weight and it would stay gone :) Seems crazy that it's taken me a year to figure this out :banghead: but I think that is an indication of just how different everything is. Past expectations, experiences, 'knowledge' are all being challenged at once - it's quite the journey. That said, for me, it's much, much better now than before my T2D diagnosis. I wouldn't go back.

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi James. I can understand why you feel this has taken over your life - it is new to you and you want to get it right and yes it takes time we have all been there and sometimes are still there when we try some new food for the 1st time. I remember when I was first diagnosed over 3 years ago thinking what on earth am I going to eat now as my favourite foods then were mostly loaded with carbs such as pasta and white bread and white rice but once you stop eating this stuff funny enough your body stops craving it and you find alternative and new favourite foods. While working from home has it disadvantages, take the positive in that while being at home you can test and learn more as it is not always easy to do this when at work. Another positive my hubby has said to me is that I have probably added years on to my life since discovering having T2D as I now eat a lot healthier and exercise a lot more. Keep browsing this site there is a lot of really helpful information on it and people are only too happy to help. Hopefully, the bad luck is behind you now and brighter things lie ahead for you when you get the hang of this which you will - I think eating when we are busy is a habit and it is just a new habit that you will learn although it does take time. You are doing all the right things and heading in the right direction. Keep asking questions that's how we all learn. Take care of yourself and I wish you well.

copilost

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
patients are their own doctors
think your libre is your superpower :) you don't have to be a doctor or a guru you just have to do what the meter says!
I really like Dr Jason Fung for a sense that the low carb option isn't a fad or scam.

James1805

Hi Mrs T

Thank you. I very much appreciate this. It’s good to find this community at this early stage and in my diabetes.

James

Hi James. I can understand why you feel this has taken over your life - it is new to you and you want to get it right and yes it takes time we have all been there and sometimes are still there when we try some new food for the 1st time. I remember when I was first diagnosed over 3 years ago thinking what on earth am I going to eat now as my favourite foods then were mostly loaded with carbs such as pasta and white bread and white rice but once you stop eating this stuff funny enough your body stops craving it and you find alternative and new favourite foods. While working from home has it disadvantages, take the positive in that while being at home you can test and learn more as it is not always easy to do this when at work. Another positive my hubby has said to me is that I have probably added years on to my life since discovering having T2D as I now eat a lot healthier and exercise a lot more. Keep browsing this site there is a lot of really helpful information on it and people are only too happy to help. Hopefully, the bad luck is behind you now and brighter things lie ahead for you when you get the hang of this which you will - I think eating when we are busy is a habit and it is just a new habit that you will learn although it does take time. You are doing all the right things and heading in the right direction. Keep asking questions that's how we all learn. Take care of yourself and I wish you well.