Type 1'stars R Us

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I regret the loss of the old ways too, the “new normal” seems so inhuman. Like @Marie2, I have fond memories of being free to go out anywhere on a bike, without anyone worrying. There were far fewer cars back then, and the dangers were, it seemed, all from falling off into a ditch or getting a puncture and having to walk home. When my children were young I was anxious about them crossing roads and riding bikes. I felt immeasurably sad that they couldn’t have the freedom I’d had.

Fairygodmother, you could post "stuff" on places like trashnothing.com or if your town/village has groups, you might find something on there.

Our village has a closed community page, which is great, and there's also a group called, "Leftover Diy Bits And Bobs For Sale Or Free (then the nearest town name)

What tends to happen with the freebie things is people exchange details by messaging, then the donor leaves the "stuff" at the end of their drive, or whatever.

I'm astonished by the things that go; part tins of paint, leftover guttering, hardcore, turf, furniture and so much more.

Easier than the tip.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Fairygodmother, you could post "stuff" on places like trashnothing.com or if your town/village has groups, you might find something on there.

Our village has a closed community page, which is great, and there's also a group called, "Leftover Diy Bits And Bobs For Sale Or Free (then the nearest town name)

What tends to happen with the freebie things is people exchange details by messaging, then the donor leaves the "stuff" at the end of their drive, or whatever.

I'm astonished by the things that go; part tins of paint, leftover guttering, hardcore, turf, furniture and so much more.

Easier than the tip.

Yes, freegle’s reopened here so I could put it on that when I think it’s a tad safer to have people come and collect things.
I’m also wondering if some of the charities that feed others would like some of the plates and bigger dishes.
Until now, higher COVID numbers and lockdown have deterred us from redistributing it.

Reactions: Marie 2

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, freegle’s reopened here so I could put it on that when I think it’s a tad safer to have people come and collect things.
I’m also wondering if some of the charities that feed others would like some of the plates and bigger dishes.
Until now, higher COVID numbers and lockdown have deterred us from redistributing it.

In our village group, we have a member who works for a women's refuge, so she is quite often on asking for "stuff" for those who have literally walked away in what they were standing in.

She's all verified etc., so she's not building her summer wardrobe.

Sometimes all they're looking for are a few t-shirts or whatever crockery folks can spare.

The folks coming around to collect; there need never be any interaction at all. A time and place is agreed for collection. Goods are left in said place at the time, and the other person picks them up. No F2F contact.

In these parts, apparently virtually all charity shops are having big sales, with "Everything £1", or whatever, because they are drowning in donations. I think almost everyone has had a lockdown clear out, then had no place to donate it to!

ArtemisBow

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’ve managed to shift some baby stuff on eBay recently and get people to collect it - you can use a courier but I thought why add another person into the potential mix? I’ve just waited for them to arrive, taken it to the end of the driveway and then they’ve collected from there. No more risk to me than someone walking past my house.

Has anyone got Abbott to replace a sensor which failed to start at all? I put a new libre on last night but it wouldn’t scan, and this morning I’ve taken it off - the cannula is completely bent. I’ve only complained about duff readings before.

Reactions: Fairygodmother

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mornin’ all.
Thanks for the suggestions, I’ll see if the women’s refuge needs any of the kitchen excess. I think they may be very busy.

Reactions: Marie 2

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning early risers. I see a chink of blue in the clouds. I live in hope, as we are trying to emulsion and all this gloom is unhelpful.
Am 10 days into my insulin change from Toujeo to Tresiba. Early days but am happy so far. Have had to reduce the dose. Am now only on 6 units at the moment as opposed to the 8 of Toujeo. There is also quicker results when changing the dose. Toujeo taking at least 4 days which was a pain. Seems to be a much flatter line. I spend a lot of hours fasting because of the way we eat and can see the difference in real time.
Happy Saturday all.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Good morning all. Grey here, and the wind’s still quite strong.
I think I’ve become a bit of a recluse, which is disturbing, I never used to be before having to make the most of staying at home. We had a zoom gathering last night, people I’ve known for quite a few years. A plan was made to meet up in August, in a back garden, and I found myself getting more easily irritated by the one who dismissed my desire to wait and see what the virus situation was then before I could commit to join them.
Great to hear the insulin change is going well @becca59!
Have a good day everyone.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
@Fairygodmother Well, hopefully everything will be a lot better by August, but I have my doubts, so I don't blame you for not committing until you can tell more what is going to go on then. There will always be some people more careful than others, personally I plan on being on the more careful side.

I had a couple of days I was out of whack and kept having to take extra insulin and today finally seem to be back to normal. Whew..........

Reactions: kev-w

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
7.gif

Everyone even if you don't actually celebrate it
Have a Happy and Safe 4th of July!!!

Reactions: kev-w

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Wow, that was probably the hardest I laughed in a long time, last night.

Tried setting up a conference video call with the members of one of the bands. The idea was to have a virtual tasty jam..
Using Skype all went well untill it got down to the music. The delay was noticable.
I suggested moving over to Whatsapp web.. It don't have a video chat function??
We ended up in messenger video chat room. That wasn't much better. The latency was just as bad.. We all kept slowing down..

It descended into a massive banter fest.. :hilarious: Ended up like a virtual pub crawl.

I have no idea how bands like the Rolling Stones pull these lockdown sessions off? I can only assume it's pre recorded then mixed, & they all simultaneously mime.. Solo artists would be a lot easier with the sound at source..

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mornin’ all.
Older daughter and son-out-law are coming to a socially distanced lunch in the garden today. They’ll bring their dog, their own cutlery, drinking vessels, serving tongs, etc etc., but’ll leave their cat at home. Really looking forward to seeing them again even if our well-grown locks are blowing in the wind, and in our eyes.
Have a good day everyone whatever you’re up to.

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all, don't know where the past couple of days have gone, just caught up. @Fairygodmother I think it's most unhelpful of anyone to be critical because you choose to be more cautious than they do. My take on this whole thing is that I'll abide by the recommendations and within that, I'll simply go as far as I'm comfortable to, expecting everyone else to do the same. Most people don't know about all my health conditions, nor what experience I have which influences my decisions. I'm very up front about only going as far as I'm comfortable to, and to date no-one's tried to push me on anything - in fact, people have been very accepting. I hope they think about what they said and back off.

Looks as if at last I might get a day with no rain; there are a couple of jobs Ireally really need to do in the garden which need it to be dry, so I'm off outside. Have a good weekend whatever you're doing, and hope those of you who had their first trip to the pub in months aren't suffering too much this morning!

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Afternoon all!

I recommend exceptionally thorough hand washing after using WD40 or glove-wearing during using WD40 immediately prior to putting your fingers in a pot of test strips and accidentally getting WD40 in the business end of the test strips which had fallen out previously and had been shoved back in the pot with speed rather than accuracy.... Otherwise ruining the last 10 strips in the pot will happen. There are always new lessons to learn in this wonderful world.

I also recommend a quiet Sunday for myself to recover from the shock of How Long Ago some things happened and how very different my life was 15 years ago.

Last edited:

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good afternoon, busy days and bloods pretty steady away, bathroom ceiling's a bit of a nightmare but nearly stripped and should be fully stripped by the end of the day and I'll be happy when it is :banghead:

I've just got a 2nd hand iWatch which I'm trying out, it's quite cute as I can see my bloods at a glance as it shows my xdrip on it which has me remembering those halcyon days of BM sticks, test tubes and tablets and food books with pictures of different size spuds with their carb value with a smile and a headshake :)

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Good afternoon, busy days and bloods pretty steady away, bathroom ceiling's a bit of a nightmare but nearly stripped and should be fully stripped by the end of the day and I'll be happy when it is :banghead:

I've just got a 2nd hand iWatch which I'm trying out, it's quite cute as I can see my bloods at a glance as it shows my xdrip on it which has me remembering those halcyon days of BM sticks, test tubes and tablets and food books with pictures of different size spuds with their carb value with a smile and a headshake :)
I headshake all the time @kev-w. I admire your skills in DIY and keeping BG steady. I don't understand acronyms nor gadets, so have spent my time picking gooseberries, raspberries and redcurrants and staring at a baby courgette.