Covid/Coronavirus and diabetes - the numbers

lindisfel

Expert
What is the alternative strategy to trying to minimise virus affects on life and limit damage to the economy?

Perhaps you guys instead of continuingly naysaying should publish your narrative and send it to the pm.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi NicoleC1971 - I'm not sure which stats you're referring to but I do remember being quite surprised each week when the More or Less presenter posed the question 'Are the Government figures on testing accurate?' and the answer clearly being No with a good explanation about the issues. Never really thought of any BBC presenter as being deviant but kind of like the idea!
I think Tim Harford tucked away on radio 4 can get away with it and I have enjoyed the weekly takedown of Matt Hancock's 10,000 tests nonsense too!

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
What is the alternative strategy to trying to minimise virus affects on life and limit damage to the economy?

Perhaps you guys instead of continuingly naysaying should publish your narrative and send it to the pm.
I think the PM and those around him know that the pandemic is over judging by their own personal behaviour. Boris appears to be having a leadership crisis and needs to go off to that Greek villa of his dad's and leave Mr Gove in charge imo!
CoVid 19 - great movie, can't wait for the sequels (remember we are only developing a vaccine at record speed to tackle this version) so mass vaccination is NOT a good strategy.
Since you have asked though I'd go with:
1 Improving the metabolic health of the nation but Boris got the memo on that one. We can offer lots of tips on this forum!
2 Encouraging excursions of one's larger limbs into the sunshine and some vitamin D supplementation in the absence of the sun.
3 Shielding those who cannot do anything about being very old and metabolically unwell if they decide they do not want to go out into the world e.g. not shutting up infected people together then not allowing doctors in to treat them face to face.

Dusty911

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Like someone predicting 500,000 deaths in the UK maybe?
Yes but that was 500 000 without lockdown. As it stands there have been in the region of 60 000 excess deaths with nowhere near the total population exposed. Estimates seem to coalesce around the 10%mark . If that was so then 500 000 looks plausible. Also if we look at 1% fatality which seems to be that most quoted than the SAGE figure again looks plausible

Dusty911

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
To be fair at the moment we just don't know what way this is going. The virus's infectivity rate at the moment does seem to have slowed. Is this down to lockdown measures we have taken ? Is it down to ones we are continuing to take, is there some immunological reason eg many more of us being immune without developing antibody immunity,is it some sort of natural life cycle activity of the virus .Will we have waves? Is all we can do is protect the vunerable as best we can till we have a vaccine? We just don't know but can we afford to gamble on natural immunity or a weakening virus? Time will tell and a cautious approach seems to be what most developed nations are taking. I guess I'm happy with that.

Reactions: jjraak

lindisfel

Expert
Why dont your gurus ride out like the knights of old on chargers?
Not quibbling at details, but tackling the real enemy of the people in this pandemic!

Fighting for a good diet, tackling obesity and metabolic syndrome. That's a better way to fight the virus and improve survival rather than pretend it does not exist or to massage the facts.
Btw there are not many pubs provide healthy food.
D.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Why dont your gurus ride out like the knights of old on chargers?
Not quibbling at details, but tackling the real enemy of the people in this pandemic!

Fighting for a good diet, tackling obesity and metabolic syndrome. That's a better way to fight the virus and improve survival rather than pretend it does not exist or to massage the facts.
Btw there are not many pubs provide healthy food.
D.

I'm guessing that you aren't aware of Ivor's usual work then?

How can someone applying logic and looking at data rationally be a "guru"?

Dusty911

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So far as I'm aware a 1% population fatality rate has not been seen in any country..?
As I said we just don't know yet. 60 000 X 100 equals 6 million is that correct? So if 6 million infected so far that's 1%ish fatality rate but if we've all already been infected and are immune that's about 0.1% but I'm not betting my life and the rest of my family on this virus being finished yet.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As I said we just don't know yet. 60 000 X 100 equals 6 million is that correct? So if 6 million infected so far that's 1%ish fatality rate but if we've all already been infected and are immune that's about 0.1% but I'm not betting my life and the rest of my family on this virus being finished yet.

Sorry didn't realise you were talking infection fatality rate.
Looks like every other country in Europe is seeing far fewer infections and falling death rates. Not sure why we would be any different. I'd suggest watching the video I posted from Ivor.

lindisfel

Expert
I'm guessing that you aren't aware of Ivor's usual work then?

How can someone applying logic and looking at data rationally be a "guru"?
I have his book!

I think Aseem Malhotra had a more targeted line of argumentation.

IMHO you actually are a turn off for Cummings trying to minimise the suffering the pandemic has caused.

Last edited:

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I read the article about 2/3 of the deaths being disabled people and by "disabled" there, they didn't mean people in wheelchairs but people with the usual co morbidities like heart /lung disease that they are always quoting. lncluding wheelchair users of course.

Tannith - You you have the paper/article defining disabled, please? I'm a little curious about something.

Tannith

BANNED
Tannith - You you have the paper/article defining disabled, please? I'm a little curious about something.
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/...t=144_9815420&CMP=TNLEmail_118918_9815420_144
"The figures come from an analysis by the Office for National Statistics, which compared death certificates from March 2 to May 15 with data from the 2011 census.

They found that 30.3 per cent of coronavirus deaths were among people who said their daily activities were “limited a lot” because of a health problem or disability, and 28.9 per cent among those whose activities were “limited a little”.

There were 22,447 deaths across the two categories, both considered disabled."

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/...t=144_9815420&CMP=TNLEmail_118918_9815420_144
"The figures come from an analysis by the Office for National Statistics, which compared death certificates from March 2 to May 15 with data from the 2011 census.

They found that 30.3 per cent of coronavirus deaths were among people who said their daily activities were “limited a lot” because of a health problem or disability, and 28.9 per cent among those whose activities were “limited a little”.

There were 22,447 deaths across the two categories, both considered disabled."

There's very little detail there, and no real definition.

Never mind.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There's very little detail there, and no real definition.

Never mind.

It's kind of here

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopula...litywellbeingandlonelinessuk/2019#main-points

Screenshot 2020-07-05 at 22.48.25.png

Tannith

BANNED
I imagine these definitions are made for the purposes of employment law. I have copd which puts me at far greater risk if I gotCovid, and is the cause off my being on the "extremely vulnerable" list. Howeve I have never thought of myself as a disabled person because of it. I also have Cyclical Vomiting Syndrome and on account of that I think I would describe myself as disabled, although it would make no difference whatever to my Covid risk.

Lupf

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If the pandemic is as deadly as oft reported though then there surely should be more deaths than average every single week?

That seeing a lower than average week is moderately surprising was the point I and the article were trying to make.

In a thread about COVID the numbers I thought this was relevant.

Please delete if I was wrong to think that.
My two cents worth:
This had to be expected. There are several death risks which have reduced during the pandemic, for example traffic accidents. One example is traffic. There were 1870 fatalities in 2019 so during the last 3 months could have been a few hundred less, but I don' t have numbers. An Israeli friend of mine claimed that Saddam Hussein's scud rockets fired into Israel saved lives as people stayed more at home. Anyone ever sitting in a car in Israel will understand this. Work deaths probably went down simply because many people couldn't work.
This undershoot after the peak of the pandemic can be seen in other countries as well: France, Spain, Switzerland
https://twitter.com/jburnmurdoch/status/1275512266306265098

Lupf

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dear all, I've been away for a week and see all these entries where people cherry pick numbers which suit them.

Can we please get back to the facts.
Just look at the number of excess deaths
https://twitter.com/jburnmurdoch/status/1275512266306265098
and at the total number of deaths, eg. on worldometer.

Sweden's policy is responsible for one of the highest number of Covid deaths. It is one of the ten worst countries with 537 deaths per million population or 26% excess deaths, Only Italy and Spain which were hit first, the UK which wasted 2 weeks in March after Italy had 1000 deaths and Belgium have over 500 deaths per million.
For comparison, Germany has 108 deaths per million. Sweden's neighbour, Norway, managed to contain the pandemic and has 46 deaths per million. This is a factor of 10 fewer!!!
The UK government has been refusing to acknowledge this and the media, including the BBC, are failing to hold them to account.

Last edited: