why can i not get my bs below 10.4

Sparklebrightisright

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I dislike people who judge me for my weight i have lots of problems was born very premature which resulted in lots of health problems since i was little still affect me today.
Hi to all,

Why can i not get my bs below 10.4
with empagaflozin insulin and and lo carb
food its really frustrating to say the least
Breakfast a bit of cereal dinner chicken and veg
And tea boiled eggs.

Sparklebrightisright.

Colin Crowhurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Mine stayed high for the first three weeks following DX until i started exercising better and "burning off" the sugars I was eating..... just a thought for you!

Hotpepper20000

Hi to all,

Why can i not get my bs below 10.4
with empagaflozin insulin and and lo carb
food its really frustrating to say the least
Breakfast a bit of cereal dinner chicken and veg
And tea boiled eggs.

Sparklebrightisright.
Cereal spikes most type. 2
And what kind of veg did you have with your chicken?

DCB 2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Carry out out pizza commercials on the TV and people bringing in a fresh box of glazed donuts to work !!! (They are evil)
One thing that works with me with breakfast If I have any cereal I add some chia seeds to it. The fat in the seeds slows the absorption of carbs 2 hours after breakfast:

9.72 - no chia seeds
6.12 - with chia seeds added
I also eat a half portion

One question is what is the size of the portions you are eating. I agree with Colin's comment about exercise.
Note: I do not have it with milk

Last edited:

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

Most cereals are basic carbs- add to that milk with more carbs and it can be a lot of carbs in the morning. Some people can handle less carbs in the morning than later in the day. I also agree that it may depend on what veg you had- there are quite a few veg that contain a surprising amount of carbs.

Start off testing before any meal and testing 2 hours later. That will tell you how your body is coping with that meal.

Also stress and illness and exercise also impact on our blood sugar levels.

Good luck.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Cereal would be one likely answer to your question. It certainly isn’t low carb. The rest of the day would leave me very hungry. Where are the fats? It looks very low calorie.

Also it does take some time, how long have you been doing low carb? How long have you been diagnosed t2? Did they rule out type 1 with actual testing at any point?

What drinks etc are you having? Could carbs be creeping in here?

Sparklebrightisright

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I dislike people who judge me for my weight i have lots of problems was born very premature which resulted in lots of health problems since i was little still affect me today.
I have been type 2 since nov 2005 never done tests for type one said I wouldn't be here would be very ill if it was type 1.The first 10 years were fine all bs under 8 after then over and above I always add chia seeds to Muslie and it was only two tbs of it.
And veg was turnip peas carrots onion ect.

Just dont understand at all just tested now 11.6 cannot win.

Sparklebrightisright.

Reactions: ert

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Well to be honest peas carrots and onions can be quite carby so it's best to limit those vegetables a bit and not eat too much of them I do hope you solve this vexing problem soon.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been type 2 since nov 2005 never done tests for type one said I wouldn't be here would be very ill if it was type 1.The first 10 years were fine all bs under 8 after then over and above I always add chia seeds to Muslie and it was only two tbs of it.
And veg was turnip peas carrots onion ect.

Just dont understand at all just tested now 11.6 cannot win.

Sparklebrightisright.
Ok so 15 yrs is unlikely to be a misdiagnosed type 1. If you’ve been over producing insulin all these years and have yet more being added by injection then you are likely to have become more and more insulin resistant. It is also possible that you are now producing less after many years of your pancreas working flat out trying to keep up with the resistance. Hence the worsening of you levels and difficulty managing it.

Whilst you may be lower carb than many non diabetics I think if you want to do this with diet you are going to have to go lower still, maybe closer to keto. It may well be time to ask for your c-peptide to be checked to see just what insulin your body is still pushing out. If it’s loads then keto might replace the need for so many meds. If it’s not a lot then meds will definitely be required but maybe cutting more carbs could limit how much and also help give better levels.

Chia will not cancel out the carbs in museli. It might slow the rise a little but your body still has to cope with the same carbs going into it. I’d avoid cereals full stop. Have some bacon and/or eggs instead. It takes me less than 3 mins to scramble eggs broken directly into a frying pan, addino butter/cheese/cream/mustard as desired. Turnip is lower than potato for sure but not very low. I hardly eat peas and carrots as they can be quite problematic for some and in terms of veg they are among the higher carb veg. Same for onion.

Maybe refresh your understanding of low carb and keto here https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb#avoid and try and pick foods from the lowest end of each range strictly for a while and see what happens. As you are on medication please please keep a close eye on what the levels are. Keto can make a big difference quickly and you don’t want to hypo. Meds can need adjusting almost immediately so be ready for that.