Are A1c tests cancelled because of covid 19 ?

WackyJacky64

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Mine was due in May , but i never got an appointment from my GP, I've also been ill twice during lockdown and had phone conversations with my GP and it has never been mentioned about going in for the test ?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had mine in June then a phone consult with the "nurse".

Morsal

I’m type 2 diet controlled. My test was due in March but have had no communication from Surgery, even though I was on the verge of having to go on Metformin. When I was first diagnosed I was told not to check my own blood sugars. I don’t understand why. I do however occasionally first thing. (My son is type 1 and gave me his old testing kit. It’s always between 6-8. Is this ok?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m type 2 diet controlled. My test was due in March but have had no communication from Surgery, even though I was on the verge of having to go on Metformin. When I was first diagnosed I was told not to check my own blood sugars. I don’t understand why. I do however occasionally first thing. (My son is type 1 and gave me his old testing kit. It’s always between 6-8. Is this ok?
That's a bit higher than I'd be happy with.
What kind of thing are you eating to control?
Without more structured and regular testing its hard to monitor progress. I'd recommend getting a cheap to run meter and start some regular testing. First thing in the morning (fasting blood glucose) then before meals and 2 hours after to see the impact of what you have eaten.

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Mine was due in May , but i never got an appointment from my GP, I've also been ill twice during lockdown and had phone conversations with my GP and it has never been mentioned about going in for the test ?
I also had mine in June - and very much like @bulkbiker my appointment was then a phone appointment (mine was with teh consultant at the hospital).
Have you actually talked to your doctors, then may have stopped sending automatic invites out for tests and routine yearly/6-monthly appointments but that doesn't mean they've stopped then, you need to ring them and ask them.
Just because the GP didn't mention it also means nothing, except that possibly that doctor didn't know it was due.

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Not cancelled as far as I know @WackyJacky64. Like @bulkbiker and @Rokaab, I had mine in June with a follow phone call from the consultant.
I think all you need to do is contact your surgery and ask for the blood test. Give it a go.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@WackyJacky64 - It looks like to really varies.

My surgery is not doing any routine stuff still, but lots of places are. If you are keen to have your test, or have concerns there could be something adrift, you could ask for it.

At one stage some surgeries were doing blood tests in the carpark. That wasn't the case at mine, but as I say, it seems every surgery is deciding independently what they can do safely.

Reactions: WackyJacky64

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
At one stage some surgeries were doing blood tests in the carpark
Ours has 2 tents set up outside the surgery for the practise nurses and I had to travel to a sister surgery to see the proper phlebotomist (the nurses can't get blood out of me!).

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have never had an automatic appointment letter. It is up to me to contact my surgery to arrange it. Perhaps your surgery is the same.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have never had an automatic appointment letter. It is up to me to contact my surgery to arrange it. Perhaps your surgery is the same.
Same for me. I had mine last week, awaiting results. They rarely even bother calling me after. I have to seek the results out. Good job I check the results online for myself.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I have always had to book my own blood tests and review. You need to call the surgery and ask for the blood test forms so you can go to the local hospital for the blood test. Ask the surgery for an appointment when the results come back. if you don't have online access to your test results then ask them to give you that access and don't take no for an answer for either the forms or the online access. The name of the game with diabetes is taking control yourself and being assertive when needed.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Mine was due beginning of May but early on in lockdown I had a text message to say routine health screening was on hold including diabetic reviews. However mid May I was invited to go for a blood test and then had my follow up by phone with my GP as I had a phone appt with him about something else, so he did it at the same time.

WackyJacky64

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
@WackyJacky64 - It looks like to really varies.

My surgery is not doing any routine stuff still, but lots of places are. If you are keen to have your test, or have concerns there could be something adrift, you could ask for it.

At one stage some surgeries were doing blood tests in the carpark. That wasn't the case at mine, but as I say, it seems every surgery is deciding independently what they can do safely.
Thanks, well I am now trying to get my life back on track healthy eating and more exercise and less stress so I will wait as my daily readings are always under 7 so i think I am not doing bad.I will wait for the surgery to contact me and they will lol .

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks, well I am now trying to get my life back on track healthy eating and more exercise and less stress so I will wait as my daily readings are always under 7 so i think I am not doing bad.I will wait for the surgery to contact me and they will lol .
You may find that with all this covid stuff going on that you have to contact them

WackyJacky64

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
They are but if i don't make an appointment they eventually send one through the post .

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Just had a conversation by phone with the practice nurse she is arranging blood tests for me and they will come to my home and draw the bloods here she has done all this from her home as she is shielding also and working from home.

WackyJacky64

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Same for me. I had mine last week, awaiting results. They rarely even bother calling me after. I have to seek the results out. Good job I check the results online for myself.
I signed up to see my own results and our surgery won't let you see them its rubbish , wish i hadn't bothered . I have to ring and find out the result like you .

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I signed up to see my own results and our surgery won't let you see them its rubbish , wish i hadn't bothered . I have to ring and find out the result like you .
If you are in England then I don't think they have any choice as long as you have registered and provided id. Complain to the practice manager.

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If you are in England then I don't think they have any choice as long as you have registered and provided id. Complain to the practice manager.
Though do note sometimes they won't put the results online until a doctor has reviewed them - least that's what the receptionist told me about a week and a half ago as to why my HbA1C wasn't showing up whereas the other tests done at the same time were - the receptionist did tell me the result but did stress she wasn't clinical so didn't know what the number meant and about a day or so later the result appeared online (normally at my docs they appear much faster)

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I agree they have been told by NHS England to provide at least first level access which gives you a summary of your record. I had to ask to be given the second level of access for test results. Receptionists often don't understand a lot of this (it's IT!). You need to persist and if they refuse talk to the Practice Manager or complain to the CCG and PPG (Patient Participation Group). At one of our PPG meetings our Practice Manager said she would refuse access in certain situations e.g. if the patient had a mental health problem. It's important that everyone has access as calling reception for results costs them time and money (our NHS money).