HbA1c little to no improvement despite significant changes.

CaptainS

Hello! I have a couple of queries around blood glucose levels. I had an hbA1c taken a couple of weeks ago which came back at 6.4% which was a drop of 0.1% from a test on Christmas Eve. Although I understand these figures are right on the borderline I was more than disappointed as I have completely overhauled my diet, very much following LCHF, exercising and have been testing my BG levels somewhat frequently. I also consider myself fairly young at 37, active with a small amount of mum weight to lose, but nothing excessive. My weight loss has stalled after an initial loss of 7kg. I am still confused by my morning fasting readings, whilst I’m managing to get my two hours post meal readings to <2mmol increase my morning readings go completely haywire this morning it was 9.2mmol despite having gone to bed on 6.2mmol. (I also never see readings between 4 & 5 they’re always >6mmols). This trend is fairly constant. Do I just put this down to DP and continue doing what I’m doing and hope that next hbA1c drops a wee bit more and that the weight will continue to slowly come off?
I also voiced concerns to the diabetic nurse that I feel that I am constantly urinating and drinking probably around 4L of water a day, from time to time I’m also suffering from fuzzy eyes which is frustrating when looking at spreadsheets. The guidance from my medical centre was to come back for an HbA1c in 6 months and to give them a urine sample to test for infection. Should I be pushing for more assistance from them? For reference, I have been through two gestational diabetes pregnancies both of which were diagnosed at 8 weeks and treated with rapid and long acting insulin as well as metformin. The BG readings that I get now are greater than during pregnancy which is why I am concerned.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I think it is time to push for a test for type 1 in that despite making huge changes and losing the requisite 15lbs your hba1c hasn't budged much. Either you are a secret Mars bar eater or it is possible you are a type 1 whose insulin supply is dwindling (not everyone seems to get type 1 acutely) and your other symptoms (thirst, urination and fuzzy eyes are suggestive of too high blood sugars).
The tests are C peptide to guage how much insulin you are making and GaaD to see if you are making antibodies to insulin cells indicating an autoimmune reaction to those beta cells.
If you search this forum you will find eamples of adult type 2s who because they were overweight were initially diagnosed as type 2.
In any case the fact that you've gone low carb will have stood you in good stead whether you turn out to the LADA or type 2 so best of luck and ask for that referral to an endocrinologist.

CaptainS

@NicoleC1971 thank you very much for your reply and advice. I’m not a secret mars bar demolisher - the thought makes me feel quite ill! I feel quite lucky that the DN at my local surgery was aware that type 2 might not necessarily be the only diagnosis, but unfortunately with Coronavirus putting a stop to almost everything at the medical centre that was routine and planned, I think that I’ll submit a urine sample to rule that out and then take it from there. In the meantime I’ll continue LCHF and regular testing and see how I get on.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@NicoleC1971 thank you very much for your reply and advice. I’m not a secret mars bar demolisher - the thought makes me feel quite ill! I feel quite lucky that the DN at my local surgery was aware that type 2 might not necessarily be the only diagnosis, but unfortunately with Coronavirus putting a stop to almost everything at the medical centre that was routine and planned, I think that I’ll submit a urine sample to rule that out and then take it from there. In the meantime I’ll continue LCHF and regular testing and see how I get on.
Type 1 diagnosis (or ruling out) isn’t exactly routine or planned. If it needs doing it needs doing. I think man6 surgeries are doing g more than people realise. They are just making sure it really is required on the phone first and then doing whatever it is carefully.

Please keep a very careful eye on your meter if you do continue as you are without confirmation of type.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
The GAD and C-Peptide tests for T1 are blood tests. My nurse last week agreed to organise the latter for me and although there may be some delay this sort of work hasn't stopped.