new to it all

Carptastic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Needles :)
Hi i was diagnosed on the 16th of june my reading then was 16/06/2020 136 mmol/mol also my keytones was high and i was treated for ketoacidosis.
it all started from a normal day went the docs in the morning for a fasting blood test then off to work i went doing my usual thing a few hours had gone by an i had a call from my doctor explaining i needed to go in to see her as it was urgent so i arrived at about 430pm by 530pm i was admitted to A+E since then i found out im type 1.
its all come as a shock as ive never had any problems before.
im now on insulin four times a day and metamorfin tablets twice a day.
i have a few other problems depression back troubles and nerv damage in my leg.
im managing to do the insulin i have the pen as im not keen on needles,ive been struggling a bit to come to terms with it as i feel im being run by it at the moment my diabetic nurse did say i may feel this way but i have got bad a few times thinking why bother just leave it all my patience seems to have got a lot shorter an the temper flares which isnt me at all
is all this normal to be feeling or do i need to speak to my diabetic nurse?i really have no idea an dont want to make any issues if its normal
Thanks

Amandaowl

Hi. I was diagnosed in February and it also came out of the blue. Since then I have had every emotion anger, frustration and upset but I am now getting my head around it and it is not as daunting. Keep talking to the diabetic nurse it does help. There is loads of useful info on the forum to help you. It will get easier. I hope that helps a bit.

Reactions: JMoli

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I realise it can be difficult but you are in a large group of people including myself who have no choice but to inject 4 to 5 times day. You do get used to it so give it a chance. You have no choice so just grab hold of it and try to get thru the initial period of being down; it really does get easier.

Reactions: JMoli

Carptastic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi. I was diagnosed in February and it also came out of the blue. Since then I have had every emotion anger, frustration and upset but I am now getting my head around it and it is not as daunting. Keep talking to the diabetic nurse it does help. There is loads of useful info on the forum to help you. It will get easier. I hope that helps a bit.
thankyou at least i know im not the only one :)

Carptastic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi. I realise it can be difficult but you are in a large group of people including myself who have no choice but to inject 4 to 5 times day. You do get used to it so give it a chance. You have no choice so just grab hold of it and try to get thru the initial period of being down; it really does get easier.
thanks heres to hoping it does :)

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
thanks heres to hoping it does :)

Hi there, one thing I noticed is that you are in your 40s and went into hospital with DKA and straight onto insulin? If you don't mind me asking, did they do any additional tests to confirm the type 1 diagnosis rather than put you straight onto insulin simply to get your numbers down quickly? Usually people get diagnosed with type 2 when they are actually type 1 and can spend months if not years having been misdiagnosed, usually because they are older in life and fit what they call a typical 'type 2 profile'. It sounds like they have said you are type 1 within 3 weeks which is actually unusual and good to hear. We are always interested in HOW people come to be diagnosed, did you have a C Peptide test and an antibody test? x

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was 43 and after a bit of GP misdiagnosis (2 weeks - they nearly killed me!) I was sent to A&E & put on insulin.

Dramatic weight loss and ketones the T1 giveaway really.

Carptastic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi there, one thing I noticed is that you are in your 40s and went into hospital with DKA and straight onto insulin? If you don't mind me asking, did they do any additional tests to confirm the type 1 diagnosis rather than put you straight onto insulin simply to get your numbers down quickly? Usually people get diagnosed with type 2 when they are actually type 1 and can spend months if not years having been misdiagnosed, usually because they are older in life and fit what they call a typical 'type 2 profile'. It sounds like they have said you are type 1 within 3 weeks which is actually unusual and good to hear. We are always interested in HOW people come to be diagnosed, did you have a C Peptide test and an antibody test? x
im really not sure if i had any of either of them tests done there was so much going on alot i didnt take in,i had a few of the deep atery tests done (i wouldnt want them again) there words in the hospital was we are treating you for type 1 diabetis the next day i spoke to the diabetis nurse who said the same but she also said it could be downgraded to type2 but i will always be insulin dependant but at this present time nothing has changed so im still being treated as type 1

Carptastic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I was 43 and after a bit of GP misdiagnosis (2 weeks - they nearly killed me!) I was sent to A&E & put on insulin.

Dramatic weight loss and ketones the T1 giveaway really.
i was lucky there my GP was good , i didnt have the weight loss but dryness urinating alot sleepy confused

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
im really not sure if i had any of either of them tests done there was so much going on alot i didnt take in,i had a few of the deep atery tests done (i wouldnt want them again) there words in the hospital was we are treating you for type 1 diabetis the next day i spoke to the diabetis nurse who said the same but she also said it could be downgraded to type2 but i will always be insulin dependant but at this present time nothing has changed so im still being treated as type 1

Hi. All I would say then is please keep an open mind, it MAY be that you are a type 2 in which case the Nurse is wrong, that does NOT necessarily mean you will always be insulin dependent. Of course it is imperative that you get a proper diagnosis (and the tests I mentioned help to do this) but if you were a type 2 for example, then it's likely you are producing normal or even higher amounts of insulin but it's not being processed properly. Read up on this forum about type 2s as well as type 1s, once you have been diagnosed for definite the management you decide to follow can be very different. Type2s often get started on insulin if their levels are very high and of course you had DKA which is usually indicative of type 1 (but not always), so there are a lot of ifs & buts with a diagnosis. If I were you I would ask for copies of all your test results & specifically ask for a C Peptide (which will tell you how much of your own insulin you are producing) and an antibody test which also helps determine type. The only reason I add all this confusion to you is that you were upset about it all at the thought of the needles and so on. x