What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
One meter registered a 6.7, telling me to Relion that.
The other meter reported 7.4, but after two touches not OneTouch.
Leaving me wondering, which of the three of us is clueless?

Reactions: karen8967

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
4.2 this morning. Walked 12 km on a Chilton path loop, on two coffees and cream, after skipping breakfast and lunch. My blood sugars sat between 4.2 and 4.5. Interestingly they went up to 5 when I ate a wild berry from a hedgerow, at the end. I'm going to have an early dinner. I've earned it.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Are they southerners? I mean, "Braxton" ...
Surprised they could get away with naming a child that these days when other southern generals are being pulled down from their plinths willy-nilly.

Bleah? I've known a number of Leahs. Bleah is a new one.
Don't know about Pa but Ashton is from the Mid West - small town, rural gal she says.

Nicole22

Mine was 4.9 this morning , I tend to find if I wake up and fall back too sleep il get a higher reading (5.5-5.9) whereas if I check If I wake up without falling back too sleep it’s 4.3-5. I’m newly type 2 diagnosed so I’m not sure if this is normal or not. Before I was on insulin (due to being pregnant at the time) it was around 7-8

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Is everyone down the pub already? So, I had 4.5 Libre reader, 4.7 phone, relieved Mafeking 4.9, weighed, trotted downstairs, looked after pups, made tea and decided UK had gone to hell in a handcart, 5.4. Terms and conditions apply, you will not own this condition but by cracky it is a pig to deal with sensibly. Salmon skin was spiffing last night but should I even be eating salmon? - Andreas, Jason, help!. Oh wait, macros. My bad.
Well I was down the pub. 2 in fact ;-) followed by a meal at one of our favourite restaurants. We felt incredibly safe. Great day and night. Downside....fbs up slightly! Might have overdone the alcohol in all the excitement ;-)

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
5.8 today.
Unlockdown independence day yesterday. Breakfast out (sausage the culprit for morning rise) 2 pubs and dinner out. Far too much alcohol supporting our local businesses. More than happy to help though ;-)

Fortunately this only happens when we ease out of a lockdown!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200705-195134_LibreLink.jpg
    Screenshot_20200705-195134_LibreLink.jpg
    198.4 KB · Views: 223

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
6.4 for me this morning - had Steak Diane last night - I am usually fine with steak but it did spike me (must have been the diane sauce, onion rings and a few or possibly more chips) - I was naughty last night so then had to try and bring it down lower with a lot of rum and diet coke!:happy:
Oooh, rum and diet coke. I might have to try that experiment.
Isn’t it right that to be valid experiments have to be repeated and repeated several times to see if results are always the same in order to support the hypothesis?

Reactions: Mrs T 123

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Mine was 4.9 this morning , I tend to find if I wake up and fall back too sleep il get a higher reading (5.5-5.9) whereas if I check If I wake up without falling back too sleep it’s 4.3-5. I’m newly type 2 diagnosed so I’m not sure if this is normal or not. Before I was on insulin (due to being pregnant at the time) it was around 7-8
Hello and welcome @Nicole22 . Good to have you with us.
Your early morning lower reading is a fine demonstration of getting test in before your liver wakes up and releases glucose to kick start your day. Absolutely normal for the later reading to be slightly higher, as your liver has detected you are awake and ready for that energy boost. You may see this described as a liver dump, or dawn phenonemon.
I never seem to wake up before my liver. So have higher fasting readings than the rest of the day.
Today’s offering was 6.1.

Last edited:

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Hi Nicole

This might help you:

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/blood-glucose/dawn-phenomenon.html

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@PenguinMum you are far from clueless - things will come right. Mine was 4.9 today. Actual level higher than ideal but food choices I made and method of offsetting them worked which frequently isn't the case for me or others. Recognisable Sunday roast (rib of beef) with carby elements (new potato and new carrot, 1 roast onion, head of broccoli roasted from frozen, 1 pepper and tomato plus gravy :). 1 glass of Tempranillo - compromise. I did at least 1000 steps every hr from eating until bed time. Not perfect but acceptable compromises. 2 big T2 related anniversaries for me this week

Last edited:

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
5.1 this morning. Had to eat 1/2 a small apple at bedtime, as my BS was 3.9. Last day of work today until September.