Which snacks are people eating between meals?

StuOnTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Anyone got some advice on things you snack on between meals?

Especially interested in anything which you can have which takes away craving for sugar. I have an extremely sweet tooth, and have been using Hartley 10 calorie Jelly with no discernable impact on my Blood Sugar.

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
Coffee with a splash of cream.

Reactions: StuOnTwo

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Sorry to be realistic but if your craving for sugar is strong, then it is likely that only by avoiding sugars and artificial sweeteners may eventually curb you craving for sugar.
It is like an addiction, so trying to cut down won't work and going 'cold turkey' is the only option.

It is better to eat a good sized (non carb) meal and feel satiety so as not to feel the urge to eat before the next meal. Snacks tend to increase your Blood Glucose and Insulin just as meals do - so the fewer the better.
I'm now only eating lunch and dinner, on weekends I just have one meal - a late lunch. It gets easier with time.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I find that sugar cravings are best squashed with something rich and fatty.
Cream in coffee, cheese, dark (70%+) choc, pork scratchings, cheese, cold sliced meats... did I mention cheese? ;)

In my very experienced opinion, relying on will power to overcome carb cravings is a self destructive waste of time.
Don't cold turkey it out.
Eat something delicious, filling, appetising and satisfying instead. Never hang on like grim death trying to out-wait a craving.
Simply lay new associations over your old ones.
Hungry? Craving? Used to reach for Kettles crisps or icecream?
Well now you can have different, better, even more delicious alternatives (including low carb icecream and/or pork scratchings or chorizo crackers), and eventually your habitual cravings transfer into desire for the new stuff.

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ideally I try not to snack but sometimes I do feel the need. I like Aldi Salter Caramel nut bars 5.9g. I usually have half. Or a Smint (metal tin) are nice and curb the craving.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Train yourself not to snack. It's not necessary, it's just a habit. It's like stopping smoking. After a while you forget the triggers to have a snack, and the craving goes.

Set a timer, if necessary, for eating, and nothing else in between.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have a meal in the morning, a meal in the evening, often at 12 hour intervals. No snacks.
These days I am eating even less, some meat left over from dinner and a mug of coffee with cream in the morning, a salad in the evening and another coffee as we have been baking here on the coast and so many people are out wandering around all throughout the day.

StuOnTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks all who have posted thus far. I was diagnosed as t2 several years ago, and in the first year really nailed the eating habits and did well getting my hba1c to near normal levels. I have however since then succumbed to bad habits and not taking much care over what I eat.

At least I have realised this now and I am trying to recapture what I was doing 3-4 years ago.

A typical day currently looks like this for me:

Breakfast: Quaker Oats original porridge (semi skimmed milk)
Lunch: some ham slices maybe with some cheese slices.
Dinner: Yesterday I had cauliflower rice and butter chicken (this barely impacted my sugar at all)

I am just feeling though that at times, I feel I want to eat something else? Hence the asking about snacking. I've lost nearly 3kg just in the last 2 weeks.

For me excercise is difficult because I have other health conditions which mean my mobility is very poor. Regardless I will try and fit in a short walk when I am physically able.

Reactions: AloeSvea

Hotpepper20000

Thanks all who have posted thus far. I was diagnosed as t2 several years ago, and in the first year really nailed the eating habits and did well getting my hba1c to near normal levels. I have however since then succumbed to bad habits and not taking much care over what I eat.

At least I have realised this now and I am trying to recapture what I was doing 3-4 years ago.

Dinner: Yesterday I had cauliflower rice and butter chicken (this barely impacted my sugar at all)

I am just feeling though that at times, I feel I want to eat something else? Hence the asking about snacking. I've lost nearly 3kg just in the last 2 weeks.

For me excercise is difficult because I have other health conditions which mean my mobility is very poor. Regardless I will try and fit in a short walk when I am physically able.
Everything but breakfast looks good to me. Do you test to see what it does to your BG? Maybe try some bacon and eggs in the morning. That should keep you full.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I would ditch the porridge. That alone would be giving me the carb-munchies all day.

PaulCarlin

Used to be nuts or olives or a spoonful full fat greek yoghurt.
Dont really need them now
Almost exactly what I use for a snack, but oddly, the amount is decreasing daily. Peanuts, olives, greek yoghurt and occasionally an Atkins 'low sugar treat' in the form of a chocolate coconut bar.

Reactions: Tannedhaggis

StuOnTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I would ditch the porridge. That alone would be giving me the carb-munchies all day.

Hi the reason I am having the porridge is due to high cholestorol. It has had an impact since my last test, so I was hoping to keep it up. I mean the 27g portion does spike me normally to over 10 mmol. but I honestly do feel that it fills me until lunchtime.

I typically don't eat immediately after waking. It's normally 2-3h after being up and about as advised by my GP cos I was finding that I was getting higher morning readings on my sugar. Even when I hadn't eaten anything since 7pm the day before - it was like my liver was doing a sugar dump either just before I woke up or when I woke up..

Hotpepper20000

Hi the reason I am having the porridge is due to high cholestorol. It has had an impact since my last test, so I was hoping to keep it up. I mean the 27g portion does spike me normally to over 10 mmol. but I honestly do feel that it fills me until lunchtime.

I typically don't eat immediately after waking. It's normally 2-3h after being up and about as advised by my GP cos I was finding that I was getting higher morning readings on my sugar. Even when I hadn't eaten anything since 7pm the day before - it was like my liver was doing a sugar dump either just before I woke up or when I woke up..
Anything that would spike me to 10ml wouldn’t pass my lips.
Please search on the forum about cholesterol. It’s not just about the total number but the ratios.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I suspect it isn't the porridge that is helping with the cholesterol but your overall weight loss thru lower carbs. Ditch the porridge and have eggs and bacon or similar and check your cholesterol ratios (not the total) over a future period of time.

BaliRob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Noisy dogs and loud music especially low-note drumming
I notice that cheese is being suggested as suitable for combatting hunger pangs between meals. I firmly believe that all Dairy Products are the enemy of the Pancreas and every case of severe Pancreatitis I have studied have had cheese and all other dairy products as the denominators - admittedly taken to excess but what is EXCESS?