The Doctor Phoned This Morning To Tell Me

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
If you feel you must add some carbs, do it through whole foods, I.e green leafy veggies, olives, cabbage, kimchi, avocados, peanut butter, flaxseed, chia seeds. Just don’t add back the poison that got us all here.

Reactions: HSSS

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello,

I'm another who is on a very low carb diet- less than 20 grams a day. I'll also put my hand up for not the most 'healthy' as I also eat a reasonable amount of artificial sweeteners which even I don't think is healthy. So that's me.

I find it slightly ridiculous to change what you eat so justify medication. I think that any medication or supplements should be used when the diet alone is not sufficient.

My cholesterol has increased. I admit it was very helpful that I was aware that this would happen as I found it still a little worrying. I've stopped worrying a bit on the basis that I am on keto so my body is using fat for fuel so it needs to access the fat so it can be used. So that is one thing. In addition I am losing weight and so the fat has to move from being stored so it can go out of my body.

So while I am losing weight and am actually healthy I am not going to worry about my cholesterol.

You have to do whatever works for you but if you intend to up your carbs make sure you test regularly. If your levels go up they need to be dealt with otherwise you may develop the complications from diabetes. Also as a type 2 my person thoughts are that I need to take the appropriate action to try to lower my insulin resistance. My fear is that if I don't keep my carbs low I will continue to produce more and more insulin and the resistance will increase- I will then need to add medication in the form of insulin and that will have to be increased over time- none of which strikes me as the way I want to live. I read enough about the difficulties that type 1 and others relying on insulin have- it's tough the constant calculations etc.

Anyway good luck on your journey.

Reactions: ByeBye

Gleny

Yes it was more of less the Atkins and I was practically on zeros carbs. It has allowed me to get my HbA1c down from around 101 to 45 in under 6 months and, I have only been doing the diet for around 3 months of that.

But it is not healthy and I have to put some good fats into my body because of the high cholesterol that has spiked in my bloods.

To make matters worse the thiazide-like diuretic that they put me on for my BP has been causing my Kidneys to expel lots of Potassium and now I have very low Potassium and high salt levels that I am having to correct very quickly.

I have to have another blood test in two weeks time to check that all of my levels have normalised again or else it will need further investigation.

Then if all goes well. they will look to start weaning me off the Metaformin and Glic. But I have to keep my Cholesterol under control and balance my diet with it.

I check my blood glucose level every day, so if things start to go awe I can always add and remove things.

I'm only talking about adding in things like Broccoli, carrots, cabbage, bean shoots, strir fty. bit of bananas etc...

Gleny

Yes eggs are brilliant for Diabetes type 1 or 2 high in protein low GI level carb level is very low.i have done a little research the only down side to eggs they appear to be high in Cholesterol which isn’t good for our hearts.fortunately my cholesterol level is low.I tend eat them every other day with mushrooms tomatoes in an omelette.combined with a very low carb diet.i snack with almond & walnuts sparingly.Raspberries & Greek style yogurt.Contrary to what some folk say I eat oats & skimmed milk in the morning which have carbs I sprinkle with Chia seeds strange little Black seeds Yet this doesn’t seem to spike my B/G level.Oh as you say exercise really brings the B/G level down.
Good luck.
Glenn

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes eggs are brilliant for Diabetes type 1 or 2 high in protein low GI level carb level is very low.i have done a little research the only down side to eggs they appear to be high in Cholesterol which isn’t good for our hearts.fortunately my cholesterol level is low.I tend eat them every other day with mushrooms tomatoes in an omelette.combined with a very low carb diet.i snack with almond & walnuts sparingly.Raspberries & Greek style yogurt.Contrary to what some folk say I eat oats & skimmed milk in the morning which have carbs I sprinkle with Chia seeds strange little Black seeds Yet this doesn’t seem to spike my B/G level.Oh as you say exercise really brings the B/G level down.
Good luck.
Glenn
Hi. Yes, eggs are high in cholesterol but it's the liver that decides how much cholesterol goes into the blood stream and it's little to do with what you eat. As another poster has said the eggs and cholesterol thing was debunked a few years back

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
As long as you are doing Atkins as the book advises and not what you have seen in the media, you should be fine.
As for it being bad for us to do Atkins, to eat eggs and the normal fats which come with our food naturally - well - that is just nonsense.
I started eating low carb in the 70s and have had Dr.s going red in the face and screaming and shouting at me, making all sorts of threats, because on their diets I was feeling dreadful putting on weight and at one point was at some risk of losing a baby. They all knew that I ought to be feeling wonderful and being slim and healthy when starting the day with grain and skimmed milk. How dare I feel ill!!
Do you have a copy of New Diet Revolution? They used to be available for pennies. If you want to try the various salads and stirfries I enjoy there is a list of possibilities - admittedly American based, but these days we can get the majority of them in our shops.
I add a tiny amount of salt and a pinch of cinnamon to my first mug of coffee each day because I don't get salt from anything else and it is essential for us.

Roggg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don't know much about declined kidney function, so please don't take this as medical advice. If my glucose readings were "too good" and I was taking gliclazide, my response would be to stop taking gliclazide, not to eat more carbs. I took gliclazide for a little while early on when my BG was at a crisis level, and it was scary. I had several hypos, and had to carry my BG monitor with me all the time, as well as "emergency skittles".