Good Morning

kevsta

Good morning

just wanted to introduce myself my name is kev and I have type 2 diabetes, before lockdown I was told that i was or be in remission, however I feel that is most probably not the case anymore.

So I’ve decided I’m going to try be a bit more proactive, and make more concussions decisions about my eat habits.

I brought myself a blood sugar tester which I’m still a bit unsure of called True Meterix I don’t know what people’s reviews are of them it seems to be giving me the reading etc just the app is a bit clunky.

my readings before breakfast was 10.8 So I ended up doing another 2 tests and all came back around the same.

but I think that was down to the stew and dumplings we had around 8 last night - very nice may I add lol

anyway thanks for reading any hopefully I will be picking up some tips from here and getting some more valuable info

take care
Kev

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning

just wanted to introduce myself my name is kev and I have type 2 diabetes, before lockdown I was told that i was or be in remission, however I feel that is most probably not the case anymore.

So I’ve decided I’m going to try be a bit more proactive, and make more concussions decisions about my eat habits.

I brought myself a blood sugar tester which I’m still a bit unsure of called True Meterix I don’t know what people’s reviews are of them it seems to be giving me the reading etc just the app is a bit clunky.

my readings before breakfast was 10.8 So I ended up doing another 2 tests and all came back around the same.

but I think that was down to the stew and dumplings we had around 8 last night - very nice may I add lol

anyway thanks for reading any hopefully I will be picking up some tips from here and getting some more valuable info

take care
Kev
Hey Kev,

Yeah, I think if you're seeing 10's, you can sort of forget about being in remission... Covid-19 threw us all for a loop though. https://josekalsbeek.blogspot.com/2019/11/the-nutritional-thingy.html might help you get started back towards health again. No more stew and dumplings though, sorry. ;)

TheJoshen

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good morning and hello Kev

I started the day on 12.5, had breakfast of yoghurt and strawberries with a bit of honey at around 9am. Now I'm 10.2 so I'm happy it's gone down a bit after food but I'm obviously aiming to get at least below 7

A few weeks ago I was reaching highs of 24 and regularly in the high teens but not really testing myself at the right times and not thinking about what I was eating

It's much harder than I thought to really think about everything that I eat and the impact it is has on my blood sugar levels. I've been T2 for 18 months and only really just starting to get to grips with the science of it all. Forums like this are a great place to start to educate yourself on how you've got to change. It's not easy.. I thought I could just cut down on chocolate and coke but it's much more than that. You've got to learn about all the food you eat and how much carbs and fibre it contains and scrutinise the labels on every packet and tin. Yesterday I went to have a tin of carrot and butterbean soup (how healthy, I thought) but it had 12g of sugar in it..

I never went on the recommended DESMONDS course (it got cancelled after I had moved mountains to get the day off work and never re-booked). Have you been on any such course. I think I might try and get booked on one again.

I'm really going to make an effort as well now so good luck to us both!

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yesterday I went to have a tin of carrot and butterbean soup (how healthy, I thought) but it had 12g of sugar in it..
Do remember its not just the sugars, it's the carbs.
Also if you're in the UK you don't need to bother about counting or doing anything with the fibre value - just look at the carbs value.
I think many have found the DESMOND course not particularly useful as it pushes so called 'healthy carbs' but to a T2 no carbs are really very healthy - but I have no experience of this as I've never been on one as I'm a T1, so I'm just going on what I've seen people write

Reactions: ziggy_w

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Do remember its not just the sugars, it's the carbs.
Also if you're in the UK you don't need to bother about counting or doing anything with the fibre value - just look at the carbs value.
I think many have found the DESMOND course not particularly useful as it pushes so called 'healthy carbs' but to a T2 no carbs are really very healthy - but I have no experience of this as I've never been on one as I'm a T1, so I'm just going on what I've seen people write
Yeah, since I have started looking at carbs it is scary how many carbs are in stuff I believed to be healthy. I mean, I knew pasta was high but tinned beans and all soups and Pretty much my entire stockpile pre covid is high carbs so Im not wasting it but it needs eating over a lot longer length of time than I planned (I'm personally going for < 130g daily)

If I were going for very low carbs, basically I couldn't eat anything I have in my cupboards.

But now I know, I am planning better in the future for the cupboards

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I started the day on 12.5, had breakfast of yoghurt and strawberries with a bit of honey at around 9am. Now I'm 10.2 so I'm happy it's gone down a bit after food but I'm obviously aiming to get at least below 7

A few weeks ago I was reaching highs of 24 and regularly in the high teens but not really testing myself at the right times and not thinking about what I was eating

It's much harder than I thought to really think about everything that I eat and the impact it is has on my blood sugar levels. I've been T2 for 18 months and only really just starting to get to grips with the science of it all. Forums like this are a great place to start to educate yourself on how you've got to change. It's not easy.. I thought I could just cut down on chocolate and coke but it's much more than that. You've got to learn about all the food you eat and how much carbs and fibre it contains and scrutinise the labels on every packet and tin. Yesterday I went to have a tin of carrot and butterbean soup (how healthy, I thought) but it had 12g of sugar in it..

I never went on the recommended DESMONDS course (it got cancelled after I had moved mountains to get the day off work and never re-booked). Have you been on any such course. I think I might try and get booked on one again.

(Psssst.... Honey's pure sugar. Might want to try doing without. And full fat greek yoghurt is a better choice than regular. ;))

kevsta

Hi. Thanks for the reply’s much appreciated, yes I must admit after been diagnosed about 18 months,

I try to be somewhat careful about what I eat but my will power is something that gets the better of me,

I brought my glucose test kit to help me see what foods make my levels go up and down but when I got home tonight after work my levels went up and i hadn’t eaten anything so just had some soup and going to test again.

I went on the nhs expert course needles to say I’m not an expert but more than a noobie when it comes to understand the science behind things.

but now that I’ve joined this I hope to get more glued up on what to eat and what to look out for.

So tomorrow in stead of having my cereal that I had, I'm going go back to my porridge (Scott’s oats (Old fashioned box)with blueberry

just out of interest does anyone feel like they can sleep for a week if they do eat something they shouldn’t lol

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi. Thanks for the reply’s much appreciated, yes I must admit after been diagnosed about 18 months,

I try to be somewhat careful about what I eat but my will power is something that gets the better of me,

I brought my glucose test kit to help me see what foods make my levels go up and down but when I got home tonight after work my levels went up and i hadn’t eaten anything so just had some soup and going to test again.

I went on the nhs expert course needles to say I’m not an expert but more than a noobie when it comes to understand the science behind things.

but now that I’ve joined this I hope to get more glued up on what to eat and what to look out for.

So tomorrow in stead of having my cereal that I had, I'm going go back to my porridge (Scott’s oats (Old fashioned box)with blueberry

just out of interest does anyone feel like they can sleep for a week if they do eat something they shouldn’t lol
....Porridge isn't that good an idea either... ;) Anything based on grains/oats/corn etc.... All types of cereal, and yeah, weetabix too... not good. Full fat greek yoghurt with berries, or eggs with bacon/cheese/high meat content sausages/tomato would be a whole lot better.

Sorry. I seem to bring bad news wherever I go!

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Yes, i thought it was just high level of sugar that caused it but fast realising, higher carbs is pretty guaranteed to send me to sleep.

Crocodile

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I can't have it often

If you're waking up in the 12s I don't think I'd be dining on porridge. Have some lovely bacon and scrambled eggs instead. Nice low carbs and plenty of energy.

kevsta

Lol but it feels sooo wrong lol I have just done a test and we had dinner at about half 7 tonight and my bloods are at 10 we had chilli con carni

just is there a list of good foods to have for breakfast

I have moved over to decaf tea lol and going to try and start walking to work aswell but weather so pants so could be hit and miss

blubelle1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Hi..I was diagnosed T2 just before Xmas (great huh?)..and was waiting to get onto the DESMOND course but I’ve started it online via a link from the diabetes team ...they mail it to you. Might be worth considering if work is a problem.

Reactions: kevsta

Crocodile

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I can't have it often
Desmond is about as useful as the bottom half of a mermaid.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Lol but it feels sooo wrong lol I have just done a test and we had dinner at about half 7 tonight and my bloods are at 10 we had chilli con carni

just is there a list of good foods to have for breakfast

I have moved over to decaf tea lol and going to try and start walking to work aswell but weather so pants so could be hit and miss
Bacon and eggs isn't wrong. You're a diabetic. It won't cause so much of a blip in your blood sugars. That's decades of food industry brain washing right there. Chili con carne includes beans (carby), rice, (carby), corn/maize (carby), onion (carby) tomato sauce (carby) so I'm actually surprised you didn't go any higher. Might have done later actually, as it's a tad fatty and you might've spiked more an hour later.

https://josekalsbeek.blogspot.com/2019/11/the-nutritional-thingy.html <-- you wanted a list, there's a few in there, but you'll really have to let go of the "fats are bad" idea, because especially for a diabetic, fats are basically lifesavers. They will not spike you at all. And here's some more lists from, you know, actual doctors you might trust a bit more than a bunch of layman diabetics on the 'net: https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/foods

Hope that helps!
Jo

Crocodile

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I can't have it often
Rice is your worst enemy. Firing squad would be better. Please, look at all of your ingredients and see the carb content. If you are in the 10s and 12s before eating you seriously need to get these carbs low. I'm always mid 5s or so before eating and I only allow 20g of carbs per meal. Even that is high for some. Give yourself a fighting a chance.

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome,

I know that at first the advice seems all wrong but I have found by regular testing that I really need to limit my carbs. I love carbs really love them but they are not good for my body. I went very low carbs as I wanted to try to .lower my blood sugar levels and hopefully my insulin resistance.

I have found the less carbs I have the less I crave them but that is what works for me- you need to find what will work for you.

Good luck.

kevsta

Thanks for the advice I think I really need to start looking at what goes in my food, so yesterday I would say It’s been my better weeks from a testing point of view as I had mixture of result being my lowest of 6.6 and the highest being 9.9 obviously not in that order

So starting of with scrambled egg and see how the day takes me

that list you posted JoK was really helpful in fact all of this is really helpful and i appreciate the time you take to give me the advice from you all

thank you

Reactions: ziggy_w