Red palm oil?

MillieT

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Just another one of those things I came across, worried about anything else than butter or lard, can i use this stuff ok, it's not like an oil, looks more like lard, a friend has given me a jar, she said it's not her thing.:confused:

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
Interested in palm oil and it’s health effects too.

Reactions: MillieT

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I would not use palm oil due to the cultivation of it involving the cutting down of forest and destruction of peat land - we just don't need it, not when there are so many alternatives available.

MillieT

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
It’s an issue, I live in Singapore and every year we get smoked out by the burning in Indonesia and Malaysia.

having said that, I’d be interested to know more about palm oil, sustainably farmed of course. I assume it’s chemically similar to coconut oil? Never heard of red palm oil , i know the fruit is red when it’s ripe, I have palm trees in my yard and they leave red stains on the sidewalks.

im sure the processed stuff probably isn’t great

edit, after reading the wiki, it sounds awesome. I’m going to try it ..

Last edited:

MillieT

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
It’s an issue, I live in Singapore and every year we get smoked out by the burning in Indonesia and Malaysia.

having said that, I’d be interested to know more about palm oil, sustainably farmed of course. I assume it’s chemically similar to coconut oil? Never heard of red palm oil , i know the fruit is red when it’s ripe, I have palm trees in my yard and they leave red stains on the sidewalks.

im sure the processed stuff probably isn’t great

edit, after reading the wiki, it sounds awesome. I’m going to try it ..

I agree with this and with anything, I always care about what I eat, I tend to use organic foods over anything else though it makes food shopping very difficult, especially low carb. I was hoping to find if anyone has used the red palm for any lenght of time, i have started using it so only time shall tell. Ironic that i was using organic rapeseed oil until another user advised how bad it is, hence why I asked on here.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I can't be part of the solution - but I have to be part of the problem.
We don't need palm oil when there is so much fat being wasted just because it has animal origins.
There really is no need for palm oil to be produced even if it is grown and made in a somewhat special way to make it seem more desirable.

MillieT

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I can't be part of the solution - but I have to be part of the problem.
We don't need palm oil when there is so much fat being wasted just because it has animal origins.
There really is no need for palm oil to be produced even if it is grown and made in a somewhat special way to make it seem more desirable.

But the issue here is that you are making it your problem when I was asking for advice whether it has health benefits for diabetics, not whether someone loathes the idea of it- even if it is organic, what if I do not wish to eat animal fat? There really is no need for animals to be bred just to suit the carnivores amongst us but it shall never cease. I am asking questions and in all due respects am wishing for sensible responses, not someone with an angst against the product I have mentioned.

Read the thread about posting etiquette before you run other peoples ideas down so harshly.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I wasn't trying to make a personal attack - and I did not realise that you were thinking of the palm oil as having possible health benefits.
As a type two diabetic you can deal with protein and fats, but need to consider all sources of carbohydrate carefully and to check that you are eating the amount you can cope with.