My GPS advice!

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
  • checking that the person knows how to interpret the blood glucose results and what action to take
  • the impact on the person's quality of life
  • the continued benefit to the person
Sounds like someone needs to explain these points to the dr

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If the meters aren't accurate then why would Type 1s use them to dose insulin? What a dolt. I don't think I could have even explained things as well as you did. I would have been speechless!
I was just thinking when I read the OP that I flipping hope they are accurate given I use them to work out my insulin dosage, see if I'm legal to drive, safe to go to sleep.....

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
It's funny but when I had my initial appointment with my present GP the first thing he did after saying hello was a finger prick test with a monitor the second thing he did was to say oh dear that's high.

The third thing was write me up a prescription for metformin and tell me I didn't need to test.

On leaving the surgery first thing I did was to buy a monitor at the chemists next door.

Chiefy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
T2D!!
Sounds like someone needs to explain these points to the dr
I have my first 3 month hba1c test in just over a week so I’ll be sure to mention this to him!

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
It's funny but when I had my initial appointment with my present GP the first thing he did after saying hello was a finger prick test with a monitor the second thing he did was to say oh dear that's high.

The third thing was write me up a prescription for metformin and tell me I didn't need to test.

On leaving the surgery first thing I did was to buy a monitor at the chemists next door.

Ironic isn't it?

He used one, and determined your level was high and then wrote you up a prescription.... but tells you that you don't need to use one. That must of struck you as.... ummm, odd? :D

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's very strange how GPs can vary so much. I, like you I expect, have always felt that knowing there's a problem with a particular food when it happens rather than waitt three months.

But at that point you'll just become aware there's a problem with higher levels, but not what food - or other issue - has caused them.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Ironic isn't it?

He used one, and determined your level was high and then wrote you up a prescription.... but tells you that you don't need to use one. That must of struck you as.... ummm, odd? :D

Yes very odd, irrational and completely lacking logic. Risible is the word I think.

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
When I read posts like this I despair a little. The complete arrogance of that doctor and the damage he could do....

I really can't understand a doctor that actively tries to prevent a person from taking steps to improve their health- are they scared that they might be out of a job? :banghead:

I too have a doctor that told me not to test and to eat a healthy amount of 'healthy' carbs. She seems surprised every time I go back with a Hba1c in the normal range and having lost weight. When I started my husband was not really a believer in the low carb approach but (like me) he has a science degree and the evidence from the results speak for themselves- my condition has not progressed (granted it is less than a year) but has actually gone backwards. So technically icily my blood sugar levels are in the non-diabetic range and I'm confident will say there as long as I do low carb.

But...I still can't get over a doctor who is not interested in what foods cause spikes in diabetics - you think with the rate of type 2 going up they would be in treated so they could help other patients. I really wish they would make reading this forum a compulsory part of medical training. I also wonder how many other forums for other conditions there are out there who could teach the doctors a thing or two.

Again- how fortunate are we!!! this site changes peoples lives for the better!

Reactions: MrsA2

Chiefy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
T2D!!
So, good morning to all. This morning I had a call from the Dr regarding the dreaded results - especially as I am still on steroids and have been apprehensive about this.

Very happy to say my HBA1c has been reduced to 39! He wasn’t very complimentary to be honest (initial 3 months ago was 82) but said I would stay on the metformin and that I would always be diabetic - which I get, but it would have been nice for him to say something positive! He said my cholesterol was 5.3 (was 4.8) and said I need to exercise more! Having lost over 3 stone now, there’s just no pleasing some people! He said I could come off metformin in time but not now.

Nevertheless, there is no raining on my parade today and if it wasn’t for the great advice and support on this forum I would not be in the position I am now. Thankyou to all.

Last edited:

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Be blowed to your doctor. He is from the Dark Ages. You can have praise from me. That is a brilliant reduction in such a short space of time, and an excellent weight loss. You have clearly worked very hard indeed and deserve many congratulations.

Worry not about your total cholesterol - don't forget to ask the receptionist for a print out of your results, plus the ones from your diagnosis test. You need to know the full details of your cholesterol - HDL, LDL and triglycerides.

Well done. :)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So, good morning to all. This morning I had a call from the Dr regarding the dreaded results - especially as I am still on steroids and have been apprehensive about this.

Very happy to say my HBA1c has been reduced to 39! He wasn’t very complimentary to be honest (initial 3 months ago was 82) but said I would stay on the metformin and that I would always be diabetic - which I get, but it would have been nice for him to say something positive! He said my cholesterol was 5.3 (was 4.8) and said I need to exercise more! Having lost over 3 stone now, there’s just no pleasing some people! He said I could come off metformin in time but not now.

Nevertheless, there is no raining on my parade today and if it wasn’t for the great advice and support on this forum I would not be in the position I am now. Thankyou to all.

Magnificent! With the steroids in the mix, that is even more MAGNIFICENTER!!!
Do you realise that your cholesterol is still below the UK national average? And before it was well below the national average?
Yet still he disapproves... sometimes I really wonder...

https://onlinedoctor.superdrug.com/...al cholesterol level is 5.7,6.5 and 7.8mmol/l
It’s normal for cholesterol levels to rise slightly as you get older and women tend to have higher HDL than men. In the UK, the average total cholesterol level is 5.7mmol/l.

Chiefy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
T2D!!
Be blowed to your doctor. He is from the Dark Ages. You can have praise from me. That is a brilliant reduction in such a short space of time, and an excellent weight loss. You have clearly worked very hard indeed and deserve many congratulations.

Worry not about your total cholesterol - don't forget to ask the receptionist for a print out of your results, plus the ones from your diagnosis test. You need to know the full details of your cholesterol - HDL, LDL and triglycerides.

Well done. :)
I shall - many thanks.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Chiefy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
T2D!!
Magnificent! With the steroids in the mix, that is even more MAGNIFICENTER!!!
Do you realise that your cholesterol is still below the UK national average? And before it was well below the national average?
Yet still he disapproves... sometimes I really wonder...

https://onlinedoctor.superdrug.com/cholesterol-levels.html#:~:text=HDL than men.-,In the UK, the average total cholesterol level is 5.7,6.5 and 7.8mmol/l
It’s normal for cholesterol levels to rise slightly as you get older and women tend to have higher HDL than men. In the UK, the average total cholesterol level is 5.7mmol/l.
Thankyou, and no, I wasn’t aware. Made my day even brighter!,

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I shall - many thanks.

and don't forget, a Dr like that will NEVER praise someone who has shown him to be wrong! They will always feel the need to say something negative to try and validate themselves rather than say well done, ie 'You need to exercise more', it's laughable. Just smile and say things like 'I'm so glad I went low carb/I'm so glad I bought a meter/I'm so glad I checked the NICE guidelines' etc. Well done by the way!!! x

Chiefy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
T2D!!
and don't forget, a Dr like that will NEVER praise someone who has shown him to be wrong! They will always feel the need to say something negative to try and validate themselves rather than say well done, ie 'You need to exercise more', it's laughable. Just smile and say things like 'I'm so glad I went low carb/I'm so glad I bought a meter/I'm so glad I checked the NICE guidelines' etc. Well done by the way!!! x
Thankyou KK. Really appreciated!

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hang on - 5.3 is below the average?
But - but - but

No no - deep breaths and no name calling of Drs.
Keep calm and count to ten slowly.

Reactions: HSSS