Annual blood test and diabetes checks still happening?

suzyjane

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi All,

Hope everyone is safe and keeping well.

I have my yearly blood test/eye check etc in march/april but this year due to situation we all are in, I have not received the letter from NHS.

Just before I contact my GP, can I confirm if you are having your tests done as per normal schedule?

N

Hi I’m a type 1 diabetic my clinic appointment has been postponed indefinitely and my gp practice is not seeing any patients unless it is an emergency!! I am due for my yearly check up next month but now I have to wait I do not know how long. I’m in Scotland.

Last edited by a moderator:

bkr

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had mine a few weeks ago, staff wearing appropriate ppe etc..

peterg251

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi All,

I have my yearly blood test/eye check etc in march/april but this year due to situation we all are in, I have not received the letter from NHS.

Just before I contact my GP, can I confirm if you are having your tests done as per normal schedule?

N
I have had all of my regular checks cancelled, including my regular post-prostate cancer blood tests, my cataract surgery that I have waited two years for and my diabetic podiatrist checks. I have no idea as to how NHS England is handling things but NHS Scotland has practically shut down. I will thank them for checking me out at A&E when my cornea got scratched but there were more nurses and doctors there than patients.

Looby 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All,

N
Just had my blood test today and will have a telephone appointment with diabetic nurse next week. They are still going ahead but in a different format.

Nic39

No. Mine was due march. No contact at all from doctors. Also awaiting a follow up eye appt at hospital but I expected that to be delayed

Lowcarb 2

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi All,

N
Hi I have missed my annual eye test and had my bloods last taken inJanuary but i look at it this way my diabetic nurse is only a phone call away if I need reassurance other than that I feel it's down to me to watch my levels and what I eat and see !myself through these uncertain times, because i know if there was anything to worry about they would find a way for me attend an appointment, I am just waiting it out and I am sure some time soon we will start receiving letters and appointments to attend the main thing is to feel that you can cope with help from family and friends on this forum and that you are quite capable of taking care of yourself, I feel for the first time since I have been diagnosed that I can do this, I do not have to worry and there is help there if needed and that the eye test and blood test part and parcel of our condition and I will not fall apart or crumble just because I have not had these test for a while

secretary47

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi All,

N
Not yet, should have been in Feb (normally April), GP changed to month of birth (so I did not forget!!!), am housebound and still waiting.

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All,

N
Hi there - my yearly bloods/review was cancelled for end of March and my retinopathy appointment at the hospital has been re-arranged for July (if it goes ahead) instead of April.

johen

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
All my appointments have been cancelled, eye clinic (and I have retinopathy) diabetes nurse and consultant clinic appointment. I haven't seen anyone since the end of 2019 and I have no idea when I will.

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I received a letter (in March/April) saying all routine appointments were cancelled, at my diabetes centre. If we have any problems there was a number to call to speak to a DSN. I was due my annual review earlier this month and have no idea when I'll get it. I feel confident that I can deal with any problems I might have (touch wood!!) but I am sure there will be plenty of patients who won't feel that way.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
According to my surgery they are restarting diabetic clinics in July or August which means that, whilst I’ve missed my 6 month check, I will hopefully have my annual one give or take a month or two. However Asthma clinics are still not being done.

LindiePops

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I got a letter today to say that my annual Diabetic check at the hospital will now be done by phone consultation in a couple of weeks. No request for me to get bloods done beforehand despite my last HBA1C being done June'19. They won't have my Blood Glucose Monitor results. I won't be having my feet checked, my urine checked or weight checked (eyes due to be checked at a separate appt in August). Can't see it being a long chat with them having no recent info to go on.......

Andy2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Fashion, consumerism, following the crowd, large crowds.
If you want to be difficult (like me)
Then the NICE guidelines are here
https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/ng28/chapter/1-Recommendations#hba1c-measurement-and-targets
and the relevant part is this
View attachment 41936

I'm booked in for a phone consult tomorrow to "discuss my results" ... which could be interesting..
Hi, I have been trying a low carb diet and at the moment I'm battling bread. however I have managed NOT to eat bread or any other white carb for a month. however my BS test this morning was 8.2. I'm really shocked and concerned as I seem to be unable to bring these numbers down. Any ideas??

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I have been trying a low carb diet and at the moment I'm battling bread. however I have managed NOT to eat bread or any other white carb for a month. however my BS test this morning was 8.2. I'm really shocked and concerned as I seem to be unable to bring these numbers down. Any ideas??
Could be al sorts of things.. feeling ill? stressed? if I get an out of kilter reading I tend to re-test and see.
What level do you usually see in the morning?

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

What are your numbers like at other times of the day? Many find their morning, fasted level is the last to get into good shape.

aard

If you want to be difficult (like me)
Then the NICE guidelines are here
https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/ng28/chapter/1-Recommendations#hba1c-measurement-and-targets
and the relevant part is this
View attachment 41936

I'm booked in for a phone consult tomorrow to "discuss my results" ... which could be interesting..

When I was diagnosed last year I wax told they would check annually, no 3-6 month checks for me, but as they had to close their list fir being oversubscribed no surprise.
And of course due to covid-19 health reviews were the first thing to go out the window.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I have a telephone appointment on Wednesday for asthma clinic when I arranged it at the surgery's request I asked about blood tests for diabetic review and to check my kidney function as that has not been done for a while and is supposed to be regularly checked I was told to ask the nurse on Wednesday as the receptionist did not know if they are being done or not.

Heathero

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I did receive a call back after a few weeks have reduced Basel rates but now weather cooler have had to increase again (thankfully Hypo awareness has increased. ) Hot weather always affects me. Only the odd hypo now and soon corrected. No longer feeling overwhelmed with Diabetes.