• Total voters

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
When I was controlling my Diabetes with food and meds overal level was 58 been on Insulin now for a couple of years and just had bloods done and it is 69 what the heck am I eating for the Insulin or what?? so do I tell them no more Insulin or ask for a different one am on Humalog 25% mix am and Evening.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Many of the T2s on here successfully reduce or eliminate their medication by reducing the carbohydrate in their diets. A typical T2 is insulin resistant, their bodies cannot process carbs properly so they pour more and more insulin into their system in order to attempt to process those carbs.

So the first question I would ask would be, what is a typical day's diet for you? If you want to come of or reduce the insulin you'll need to reduce your carbs.

The second question is, what sort of blood sugar readings are you getting from your meter?

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When I was controlling my Diabetes with food and meds overal level was 58 been on Insulin now for a couple of years and just had bloods done and it is 69 what the heck am I eating for the Insulin or what?? so do I tell them no more Insulin or ask for a different one am on Humalog 25% mix am and Evening.

Patsy, if you are eating "stuff" purely to avoid hypos, then it is worthwhile talking to your nurse about the potential to reduce your insulin a bit.

Mixed insulins, such as you are taking don't give much leeway for changing the diet about too much, so it could be worthwhile asking about separate long and short acting insulins. They're a bit more work -especially to start with, but most people find them more flexible.

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
I have reduced my food intake as I think i was eating to keep the Insulin right have lowered it and feeling a little better will see the Nurse next week and see what she says, thank you for your advice always very valuable xxx

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Pathology Investigations

Full blood count
Haemoglobin concentration 117 g/L [115.0 - 160.0]
Total white blood count 7.4 10*9/L [4.0 - 12.0]
Red blood cell count 4.40 10*12/L [4.2 - 5.4]
Haematocrit 0.377 [0.37 - 0.47]
Mean cell volume 85.7 fL [78.0 - 100.0]
Mean cell haemoglobin level 26.6 pg [27.0 - 32.0]
Below low reference limit
Mean cell haemoglobin concentration 310 g/L [310.0 - 350.0]
Platelet count - observation 323 10*9/L [140.0 - 450.0]
Red blood cell distribution width 13.8 % [11.0 - 16.0]

Differential white blood cell count
Neutrophil count 3.7 10*9/L [2.0 - 7.5]
Lymphocyte count 1.9 10*9/L [1.5 - 4.0]
Monocyte count - observation 0.7 10*9/L [0.2 - 0.95]
Eosinophil count - observation 1.1 10*9/L [0.01 - 0.7]
Above high reference limit
Basophil count 0.0 10*9/L [0.0 - 0.1]

athology Investigations

HBA1C Quoted Reference Range is for a non-diabetic.
Haemoglobin A1c level - IFCC standardised 69 mmol/mol [20.0 - 41.0]
Above high reference limit
Non Diabetic Range 20-42 mmol/mol

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Not sure what all that means lol
but think my B 12 low
Above high reference limit........... does that mean i got an infection?

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not sure what all that means lol
but think my B 12 low
Above high reference limit........... does that mean i got an infection?

Hi Patsy - I can't see that your Vit B12 was tested in your results? What makes you think it's low?

You Eosinophil test reading is a bit high. It can mean you have an infection, but if you have, for example, hayfever, or any allergies, or eczema, of a bunch of other stuff, that could explain it.

The best person to go through this with would be your Doctor. Are you due to see him/her, or maybe have a telephone consultation?

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Hi Patsy - I can't see that your Vit B12 was tested in your results? What makes you think it's low?

You Eosinophil test reading is a bit high. It can mean you have an infection, but if you have, for example, hayfever, or any allergies, or eczema, of a bunch of other stuff, that could explain it.

The best person to go through this with would be your Doctor. Are you due to see him/her, or maybe have a telephone consultation?
Yes next Wednesday I see the Nurse

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Below low reference limit does that not mean B 12 ?

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Below low reference limit does that not mean B 12 ?

B12 has a test all of it's own. On my test list it is called "Serum B12 level". A low mean cell haemoglobin level could perhaps mean you're a little anaemic, but, as I said earlier, these are discussion points for your appointment.

If B12 isn't on your test list, you could always ask for one?

Reactions: PatsyB

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
yes might do that I did ask if they was doing and she said yes so much for telling you the truth lol

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
The Nurse hasput me on Tresiba starting tonight and have to go back to see her next week so fingers crossed am not looking forward to this change

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Tresiba seems fine but now on NovoRapid which was told to have at breakfast seeing as I walk alot in the mornings i had a low so decided to take at lunch even then had a low about 2.30 pm so been told to lower it and eat carbs at every meal I just spent the last 9 years trying to cut Carbs down and now am told to eat the ** things arghhhhh I did say was not gonna take the Insulin but they insistant well i try it for oen week otherwise am thinking of coming off it ....

Edited by Mod

Last edited by a moderator:

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Tresiba seems fine but now on NovoRapid which was told to have at breakfast seeing as I walk alot in the mornings i had a low so decided to take at lunch even then had a low about 2.30 pm so been told to lower it and eat carbs at every meal I just spent the last 9 years trying to cut Carbs down and now am told to eat the ** things arghhhhh I did say was not gonna take the Insulin but they insistant well i try it for oen week otherwise am thinking of coming off it ....

Edited by Mod

PatsyB - I'm not an insulin user, but if you explain what you want to do, your nurse should be able to work with you to make it work.

Have you ever tried carb counting? If you are able to cope with that, it might be possible your nurse will help you make it work for you.

It sounds like these are teething troubles, Patsy. Please don't just let your numbers get high, by not taking your insulin. That can lead to all manner of issues, as I'm sure you appreciate.