Numbness and tingling in feet

bumblebetty

I’m very angry with myself today as I was told I was pre diabetic last year and worked really hard doing low carb fasting diet and more exercise, lost 2 stone and brought my levels down to not pre diabetic levels. Was feeling in control but lockdown has been a disaster, I’ve been comfort eating and drinking far too much then the last couple of days my feet have been feeling odd and numb, sometimes tingly. I thought my hands were too but they seem ok atm and I’m not sure.
I’ve restarted low carb today and am ditching the wine, took my levels a few times today and they haven’t gone higher than 6 but then I’ve not eaten many carbs. I never really understand the levels anyhow.
Contacted the doctor and she’s booked me in for a blood test Friday, to check if my anaemia is back and other vitamin levels, assume she’ll check my blood sugars too. Does it seem likely to be diabetes related? I know foot problems come with diabetes but don’t know how common or how early. Its mostly in one foot so desperately hoping I’ve just trapped a nerve or something.

Divia

I’m very angry with myself today as I was told I was pre diabetic last year and worked really hard doing low carb fasting diet and more exercise, lost 2 stone and brought my levels down to not pre diabetic levels. Was feeling in control but lockdown has been a disaster, I’ve been comfort eating and drinking far too much then the last couple of days my feet have been feeling odd and numb, sometimes tingly. I thought my hands were too but they seem ok atm and I’m not sure.
I’ve restarted low carb today and am ditching the wine, took my levels a few times today and they haven’t gone higher than 6 but then I’ve not eaten many carbs. I never really understand the levels anyhow.
Contacted the doctor and she’s booked me in for a blood test Friday, to check if my anaemia is back and other vitamin levels, assume she’ll check my blood sugars too. Does it seem likely to be diabetes related? I know foot problems come with diabetes but don’t know how common or how early. Its mostly in one foot so desperately hoping I’ve just trapped a nerve or something.
I'm a noob and I can't answer your question. I'm just writing to send a high and my best wishes that your BG will be alright. You don't have a monitor?

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was diagnosed as T2D at a routine health check, I didn't think I had any symptoms until I found out later that the slight numbness and tingling in my right big toe was probably peripheral neuropathy. It eventually went away after about a year of keeping my HbA1c below 40. The occasional tingling did help to remind my to keep to my low carb diet in the early days.
Of course I don't know if it is the same thing in your case so I hope that wasn't too discouraging.

bumblebetty

I was diagnosed as T2D at a routine health check, I didn't think I had any symptoms until I found out later that the slight numbness and tingling in my right big toe was probably peripheral neuropathy. It eventually went away after about a year of keeping my HbA1c below 40. The occasional tingling did help to remind my to keep to my low carb diet in the early days.
Of course I don't know if it is the same thing in your case so I hope that wasn't too discouraging.
That’s really reassuring actually as everything I read about peripheral Neuropathy suggested that there was never any improvement. Hopefully I can catch it quick and get my levels down if that’s what it is. Thanks so much for replaying.

bumblebetty

I'm a noob and I can't answer your question. I'm just writing to send a high and my best wishes that your BG will be alright. You don't have a monitor?
I have a little monitor I bought off Amazon but I’ve no idea how accurate it is. I’ve dug it out today and not had any levels higher than 7.6 which seems ok? But then I’ve not eaten anything too carby either. Will keep taking levels for a while and see if I can work out if I have a problem or not I guess. Thanks so much for replying, gone into a big health panic today and google is just confusing me more.

BaliRob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Noisy dogs and loud music especially low-note drumming
You have symptoms of Diabetic Neuropathy I am afraid. Unlike me with total forearms, wrists, fingers, lower legs, ankles, feet and toes - YOU HAVE TIME TO PREVENT THIS FROM THE 5% BECOMING MY 100% - I wish you well and would respectfully suggest you look again at your diet and not go for Nerve Supplements which are only palliative in many folks experience.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You have symptoms of Diabetic Neuropathy I am afraid.
I don't think you can make a definite. diagnosis, neuropathy is a possibility but it could be something else. Apart from the DN I described above, I have also had numbness in my leg which went away when I cut down on driving, for example.

Richmy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I was diagnosed with diabetic neuropathy I had this in my feet before I was diagnosed with diabetes so when I seen the doctor he told me I was type 2 diabetic but as far as my feet go the damage was done so my feet are numb very little feeling I take gabapentin which eases the shooting pains when I went on holiday I got some sandals I’d been walking most of the day when I got back to my apartment took my footwear of and one of my feet was bleeding but I couldn’t feel it and it had scraped the skin of so you must take care what your wearing and never walk barefoot

Richmy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
It does sound as tho you are diabetic and you have diabetic neuropathy in your foot which can’t be undone unfortunately I’m sorry you are going through this

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It does sound as tho you are diabetic and you have diabetic neuropathy in your foot which can’t be undone unfortunately I’m sorry you are going through this
Did you read my post #3 ? My diabetic neuropathy cleared up but it took at least a year to completely disappear. I assume the possibility of recovery will depend on the degree of damage to the nerves at the time of diagnosis.

ColleenCowin

I have a little monitor I bought off Amazon but I’ve no idea how accurate it is. I’ve dug it out today and not had any levels higher than 7.6 which seems ok? But then I’ve not eaten anything too carby either. Will keep taking levels for a while and see if I can work out if I have a problem or not I guess. Thanks so much for replying, gone into a big health panic today and google is just confusing me more.
Just be careful with the monitor the test strips do have an expiry date, you didn’t say how long it’s been somewhere where you had to dig it out. For Type 2 Diabetics on Metformin have you read side effects this medication causes neuropathy

bumblebetty

Just be careful with the monitor the test strips do have an expiry date, you didn’t say how long it’s been somewhere where you had to dig it out. For Type 2 Diabetics on Metformin have you read side effects this medication causes neuropathy
I bought new strips and lancets so hopefully ok?

bumblebetty

I don't think you can make a definite. diagnosis, neuropathy is a possibility but it could be something else. Apart from the DN I described above, I have also had numbness in my leg which went away when I cut down on driving, for example.
It feels a little better today tbh and I’m wondering whether might just be a trapped nerve and I’ve over reacted. Might just be getting used to it though. Hopefully blood tests will have some answers.

bumblebetty

Did you read my post #3 ? My diabetic neuropathy cleared up but it took at least a year to completely disappear. I assume the possibility of recovery will depend on the degree of damage to the nerves at the time of diagnosis.
I hope I caught it in time and can stop it getting worse. The doctor wants to check my iron and vitamin levels as I e had absorption issues in the past but I think the neuropathy is the same no matter what the cause.

Ian_P

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Dear Mr Pot :)

I had tingling in my left foot when I was diagnosed with Type 1 DM ten years ago. It cleared up completely within a year of tight BG control :)

Re: the original post - please make sure you have your B12 levels checked when you see your GP as you also mentioned anaemia.

Best wishes,

Ian

Caprock94

A few things. First of all you mention anemia, so it might be you have low B12 levels. Also, you mention it is mainly just one foot if I read correctly. Finally, it sounds like you were just at prediabetic levels, and have corrected that. Good chance this is not neuropathy.

bumblebetty

A few things. First of all you mention anemia, so it might be you have low B12 levels. Also, you mention it is mainly just one foot if I read correctly. Finally, it sounds like you were just at prediabetic levels, and have corrected that. Good chance this is not neuropathy.
Hi, thanks for your reply @Caprock94 . Yes I am wondering if anaemia or b12 might be the culprit. The numbness is mainly one foot though whole leg feels bit odd now but getting tingles in hands and other foot too I think. I have been on omeprazole for stomach acid issues for a long time which I’ve just read can cause anaemia.
I was just at pre diabetic levels about a year ago 44 HBAC I think, after 6 months I got it down to 40 with diet and exercise. Since lockdown I’ve been eating a lot of carbs and drinking a lot of wine. My levels were 9.1 tonight 2 hours after dinner which doesn’t seem too good but not horrendous? I will keep taking them and see if I can build up a picture of what’s going on.
Thanks for any advice or thoughts.

Last edited:

JenniferW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm worrying and wondering if I have the first signs of diabetic neuropathy in my feet.

I was diagnosed T2 in 2015 and have not been not on any medication. My last HbA1c test was 43 (not as good as 6 months ago, at 41). My annual check-up with the diabetic nurse hasn't taken place this summer, and I'm now wondering whether I should be talking with my GP abut this.

I started to become suspicious about this more than 18 months ago, but the annual foot test and private podiatrist tests tell me my tests from them are fine. So this started to develop maybe as much as 2 years ago. I feel something like numbness, but I'd say it's like you might feel after a very hard day of walking - almost battered on the soles of your feet? This affects the soles of both feet, with more of it in the toes.

Advice and suggestions?

Becs90

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi everyone not sure if this post is old but im hoping to get some advice.
Im currently over weight due to gaining lots in lock down. My bmi is 34 (i know awful) and my dad was diagnosed with type 2 last year and his mum has it for years and years.
Since gaining weight ive noticed my feet and toes becoming very tingley and numb. My heart races 30mins or so after i eat. Ive bought a kit to see oit of interest the readings i got. Before dinner it can be between 6 and 7.5. After i eat it goes up to 8/9.
I had my fasting glucose yesterday. Does this sound like type 2?

Reactions: JenniferW

JenniferW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone not sure if this post is old but im hoping to get some advice.
Im currently over weight due to gaining lots in lock down. My bmi is 34 (i know awful) and my dad was diagnosed with type 2 last year and his mum has it for years and years.
Since gaining weight ive noticed my feet and toes becoming very tingley and numb. My heart races 30mins or so after i eat. Ive bought a kit to see oit of interest the readings i got. Before dinner it can be between 6 and 7.5. After i eat it goes up to 8/9.
I had my fasting glucose yesterday. Does this sound like type 2?