How much does Lantus dose decrease by in hot weather

TypeZero.

My endo said a decrease of about 20-30% but I will have to see when I get there in a few days.

How much do you decrease your Lantus by when in a hotter country? I will be going somewhere that is usually 35-40 degrees Celsius on a daily basis

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
It doesn't seem to decrease for me, I seem to need less insulin when it's cold.

Reactions: TypeZero.

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My endo said a decrease of about 20-30% but I will have to see when I get there in a few days.

How much do you decrease your Lantus by when in a hotter country? I will be going somewhere that is usually 35-40 degrees Celsius on a daily basis

Basically its going to be trial and error to find out whether you need to increase or decrease and by how much - most things in diabetes seem to be worked out by trial and error unfortunately (least for me they are) :(
I need slightly less (not close to even 20%) when its hot but @Antje77 obviously needs more..

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi,

I tend to be more insulin sensitive with the heat.
Like @Rokaab i don't decrease by as much as 20%, getting my calculator out. It's closer to 7%. Which equates to 1u. (Ish.)

(Edited to add I use Lantus.)

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@TypeZero. ,

If don't need to tell you this.. (But for the benefit of any other T1s on adventure.?) Carry some carbs in the "day pack" whilst finding your way..

UK T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, it is also worth remembering that it can take a few days to notice the effects of dose changes for some people.

Possibly also think about what change you might have to your daily routine while there, and whether this will warrant a basal change too? As others have said, the joys of trial and error!

I guess it also depends on what temperatures you're currently used to? I hope it is a nice reason you have to be going away somewhere warm :)