Type 2 Is the pub OK?

Addler69

Hi,
I know the answer but I wanted to see what your thought are.

I have type 2 diabetes,
My pals are off to the pub tomorrow for the first time since lockdown.
I've been invited, but should I avoid the pub?

Reactions: JoKalsbeek

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

I have type 2 diabetes,
If it was me I would only go if I could sit in a well spaced pub garden. As it is currently pouring with rain, even that doesn't sound very inviting.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

I have type 2 diabetes,
Here in the Netherlands, amounts of pub-goers are restricted and there's more space between tables than there'd usually be. People tend to keep 1,5 meters distance, or at least, try to. It gets a little harder when people get hammered and let go a bit of caution. But without the safety measures, I wouldn't have gone to a cat café this weekend, and will be visiting another next weekend. Not the same as a pub tho'. If it's rammed, I'd avoid it.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
without the safety measures, I wouldn't have gone to a cat café this weekend,
Whatever is this? Surely people don't bring lots of cats together in a café? Sounds like a recipe for disaster to me.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Whatever is this? Surely people don't bring lots of cats together in a café? Sounds like a recipe for disaster to me.
Haha, yeah... That would be a recipe for disaster indeed. No, it's like a lunchroom (kitchen off-limits for the cats), where there's a couple of really tight-knit cats just lounging around the people who visit. Wouldn't work with just any kind of cats, so they are selected for their ability to cope with people going in and out, as well as their "getting along with other kitties" attitude. Our cats would never be suitable for something like that, but the owners usually have a knack of getting just the right cats. :) Monique has become a friend, she's herding 12 fabulous cats at The Coffee Cat in Almere : https://www.instagram.com/p/B8rW-RfAD-9/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link has a few of her beauties. And they all have had me kissing their faces and giving headbumps. :) ... A lot of them rescues, a bunch disabled (three legs, kidney failure, deaf etc). It's their forever home where they get all the attention they want. And if they feel like it's enough, they can withdraw to the cat room that's off limits to the guests. I've heard of cafe's in Asia where the cats are sedated, but we don't do that here. Heck, I doubt it'd even be legal, animal abuse and all. We've been to cat café's all over the Netherlands, and one in Aachen, Germany. Hoping to visit one in Liège, Belgium in September. That one is a café where cats from the local shelter are put up for adoption, so they have an ever changing array of cats, and often, kittens.

My dream is to visit the cafe's in London, Lady Dinah's Cat Emporium and Whiskers and Cream, off the top of my head. ;) Bunch of others in different cities on my wishlist too, but it's a loooong list, including one in Vienna, and, and, and.... I'm a bit of a cat fanatic. Thankfully, my husband is too. :)

And I've thoroughly derailed this thread now, sorry!
Jo

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
And I've thoroughly derailed this thread now, sorry!
Don't apologise, it was my fault for asking, but as a cat lover without a cat I just couldn't resist, even though I knew it was wrong. What a brilliant idea, especially about the rescue cats who may find new homes through it. Animal enthusiasts need to remember, though, that Covid can live on animal fur and be picked up by stroking!!!

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Don't apologise, it was my fault for asking, but as a cat lover without a cat I just couldn't resist, even though I knew it was wrong. What a brilliant idea, especially about the rescue cats who may find new homes through it. Animal enthusiasts need to remember, though, that Covid can live on animal fur and be picked up by stroking!!!
That's why everyone needs to wash or disinfect before entering the cafés. A lot of them already did that before Covid-19 ever struck. ;) There's lots of cafe's around the world, there may be one near you. Worth a google. :)

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have type 2 diabetes,
To get back on topic, @Addler69 perhaps ask yourself how much you want to go? How much risk could you take and still feel it was worthwhile even if things turned out badly? Is there another, safer way you could enjoy meeting your friends more? Personally, I'd enjoy a stroll in the park with one or two better than joining in a group meeting, perhaps indoors, where I'd not be in complete control of the conditions.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

I have type 2 diabetes,

Age? any other other co -morbidities and location would be the things I'd look at.

Reactions: Addler69

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
With that cue. On the subject of pubs.

Assess the risks to you as you would any other publicly used space.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
People go to a pub mostly to drink alcohol alcohol reduces inhibitions uninhibited social mixing is something I would rather avoid at the moment though I may go for a carvery and a pint of beer where thing are reasonably well controlled soon.

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
Given the info that you have given, what do you value more, a night out in the pub or potentially your life?
The ability to social distance has already been shown to be inversely proportional to alcohol intake.

Last edited:

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

I was diagnosed at the end of October 2019.
I'm 51 years old, I'm mixed race. I'm 300lbs. BMI of about 40. Both parents have diabetes....
Stay in. I don't trust people who drink with my safety, ever, and a pub full.... I don't know how the UK's doing with Corona right now, but the Netherlands are doing okay... And I still wouldn't do a pub. A lunchroom, yeah.... A quiet one... But not a pub.

Reactions: Addler69