HbA1c confusion

rustie237

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had my results yesterday and it’s 10.4 which GP says is very high. - previously 7 and 14 respectively. I see others with a result of 43 or thereabouts and am a bit concerned I’m measuring it the wrong way! Is 43 high!

lessci

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Your GP is working in "old money" It's a bit like converting between kg and stones or meter and feet/inches
hba1c-diabetes-control-chart.jpg

Reactions: rustie237

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had my results yesterday and it’s 10.4 which GP says is very high. - previously 7 and 14 respectively. I see others with a result of 43 or thereabouts and am a bit concerned I’m measuring it the wrong way! Is 43 high!
There's two ways a HbA1c can be measured in. Yours are being measured in percentages, mine, for instance, are measured in mmol/mol, in which case 43 would be barely prediabetic. If it'd been percentages, it'd mean having maple syrup in the veins. :)

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
PS: You have an improvement going on, as you've gotten down from 14. You're making progress. Hang in there, and shout if you have any more questions, anything at all we can help with!

rustie237

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
PANIC!!! 90.2 - thanks for the calculator but am thinking ignorance might be bliss! mmmm, maple syrup!!!

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
PANIC!!! 90.2 - thanks for the calculator but am thinking ignorance might be bliss! mmmm, maple syrup!!!

Don’t panic. There are plenty on here who started out higher I was 112! Down to 36 within three months doing LCHF and stayed there for three years. Having a blip at the moment, but that’s another story....!

Reactions: rustie237

Automon

Don’t panic. There are plenty on here who started out higher I was 112! Down to 36 within three months doing LCHF and stayed there for three years. Having a blip at the moment, but that’s another story....!
Same for me also in Feb 2020 173 which is very high, eyesight started to go worrying time. Put on insulin and Glitizide x4 tablets daily.Thanks to members of his forum and their comments and help I am off insulin doctor phone me and said to stop taking glitizide. I am now medication free, my sight has returned and on the last 2 HBA1C results have shown a level of 32 each time, not bad in 6 months all this was through the help from members of this forum who I am very thankful for.

Reactions: Flora123

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Same for me also in Feb 2020 173 which is very high, eyesight started to go worrying time. Put on insulin and Glitizide x4 tablets daily.Thanks to members of his forum and their comments and help I am off insulin doctor phone me and said to stop taking glitizide. I am now medication free, my sight has returned and on the last 2 HBA1C results have shown a level of 32 each time, not bad in 6 months all this was through the help from members of this forum who I am very thankful for.

That’s amazing!! I’ve never heard of an Hba1c that high. Well done!

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
It just goes to show how this site actually saves lives- what a great result!! scary to think what it could have been just relying on some of the medical advice given. Not by all doctors but by enough of them.

Well done on such a great story!

Roggg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just to be clear, you're definitely talking about A1C, and there's no chance you are mistaking your fasting level for your hba1c?

Your readings (7, 14 and 10) are plausible A1C values, but they are also a good fit for fasting glucose levels for someone with moderate diabetes. A1c of 14% is very high.