Newly Diagnosed - Bread/Snack Food Help Please

DAISYLUNA

It won't be fine for your blood sugars though.. there are just as many carbs in brown as in white.. afraid you'll be far better off ditching them completely.
I have just been diagnosed. I don't want to take medication. Just diet. I'm just so dehydrated all the time. Any tips? Im doing low carb.

Hotpepper20000

Decaf Coffee is fine, but Caffeinated Coffee will raise your BG levels. I agree 2 or one meal a day is fine also if you're fasting or intermittent fasting, but aiming for 3 solid meals mainly of a balanced diet will keep you full.

I'm on a low carb diet so my plate is normally filled with vegetables. Mushrooms instead of potatoes etc... my normal range is between 4 and 5 BG. When I use to drink coffee my BG would spike. as described by this article. https://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/coffee-and-diabetes.html
Never had a problem with coffee spiking my BG. Sometimes even espresso at 5 pm.
I’m very full with one or two meals of low carb.
The thing is when you make blanket statements like that there will always be exceptions. That’s why I encourage everyone to test with a BG meter to see for themselves.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Why anyone would abandon red meat when they have a problem with carbohydrate is a bit of a mystery to me.
I eat any meat, fish, cheese, eggs, low carb nuts (not all are low carb) salad, low carb veges and some berries. I only need to eat twice a day, and I have coffee with cream, and occasionally alcohol in the form of spirits and something low carb. I drink vodka with fizzy water and a little lemon juice, or rum and diet coke - though only a few times in the year.

Reactions: Robbity

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have just been diagnosed. I don't want to take medication. Just diet. I'm just so dehydrated all the time. Any tips? Im doing low carb.
Cut carbs to an absolute minimum and drink water when thirsty.
How "low" carb are you aiming for?

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you're doing low carb, initially you'll lose more fluid, so just drink more to replace it - water works just fine!

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Carbs hold water so if you ditch them you’ll probably need to drink more.

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm another who can drink coffee with no problems. I agree that blanket statements are not generally very helpful. Coffee with cream is my go to treat during the morning or early afternoon.

Alcohol is another thing- you may well be able to tolerate white spirits - I can so vodka, white rum, gin, tequila etc. I have them with a diet mixer. I drink k less then I used to thanks to no longer being able to drink cointreau but I do have alcohol on occasion.

I'm not sure I agree with the statements on red meat either but it's a decision for you.

The best thing you can do it to have a meter and test regularly- find out for yourself the things that raise your blood sugars. This place is an awesome place if you post about something you miss people give great suggestions.

I also find I do better on one meal a day- that's it during the work week. I usually have 2 on a weekend but I'm pretty sure most of that is habit. You need to find out what will work for you and be aware this may change. I couldn't have gone one meal a day at the beginning and I still listen ato my body but do one meal a day when I thought I would never find it possible. Find out what works for you. It's for the rest of your life so needs to be maintainable.

For snacks- cheese, procisutto olives nuts- are all possibilities. Diet jelly is another I use.

Good luck.

Richard19671

I was told that whole meal bread was ok apparently brown bread digest different to white bread but as someone said what suits one may not suit other people

Richard19671

Don’t forget you need to drink more water I tend to drink a lot of water and I don’t feel dehydrated and remember tea and coffee goes to wards your six to eight classes of water a day

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I was told that whole meal bread was ok apparently brown bread digest different to white bread but as someone said what suits one may not suit other people
Oh they do like their little jokes don't they.
There is a bread shop just down the road from me and the owner tells diabetics the same thing. Anything to make a sale I suppose, but I got pretty nasty the one time I went in there to see if they did a low carb bread. They don't, so there is nothing in the shop I would eat even though he praised its health giving qualities.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We’re all told that. It does break down a little more slowly into glucose, which gives your body and insulin a little more time to mop it up. Which is fine as far as it goes, but there is still the same amount overall to deal with.

For someone prediabetic or t2 diabetic they aren’t very good at mopping up and their insulin is already sky high trying to cope, along with all the metabolic damage that high insulin does. So whether they add to that problem a touch more slowly or quickly matters little, should they be adding to it at all is the better question?