What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sure.
I tend to use either home made bone broth (there is never enough of it), or bought bone broth (soooo expensive), or collagen powder. Of them all, I prefer the real bone broth,

Have used these, but only when on special offer. Black Friday, or Prime Day. The normal prices make my hackles rise:

Bone broth
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0749H8QFD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Collagen
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pure-Hydro...7&sr=1-2-91e9aa57-911e-4628-99b3-09163b7d9294

Using this now (much more economical than the others, but only good in savory drinks like the bovril)
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Collagen-N...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm not a big fan of chocolate - there's always something wrong with it (bit like Goldilocks) - its either too sweet, too bitter, don't like the texture, don't like the aftertaste, don't like the affect on BGs - but I do enjoy the Godiva 90%. I break it up in to two square portions then freeze it. I eat it from frozen (it lasts longer that way) and two squares doesn't affect my BG at all.

Yorkshire water have the mains water turned off at the moment (don't know why). About 20 houses are without water and its been off since I woke up. My day always starts with a shower so I'm all discombobulated!! Luckily we've got plenty of bottled water for drinks and for the dogs. I put some sparkling water in their bowl and Millie loved it, she was stood at the water bowl for ages with her tongue hanging out in the water - I think she was enjoying the bubbles on her tongue. :p

Today....

Breakfast: Omelette with carb free syrup (lemon sherbet)
Lunch: bit of cheese (Dolce Gorgonzola)
Dinner: if it stops raining it will be wilted chard with pesto and halloumi, if it doesn't stop raining it will be halloumi, fried eggs, grilled tomato and mushrooms again

This week I'm trying to get the carbs right down to reduce my BGs but it doesn't seem to be working at the moment. FBG this morning was 8.0. :(

Edited for choc error

Brilliant story about Millie and the sparkling water, I can just see it!
Well done on the Godiva self control btw but hugs for the annoying fbg.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all let’s hope the weather forecast is right and that today will be last of the rain for a bit!
I used today to do lots of catch up jobs indoors in the hope may get outside more in next few days.
Lunch one slice of bacon, fried egg and half a slice of toasted lc bread followed by coffee and the last four squares of Godiva 90% (end of bar so back to two squares of 100% from tomorrow!)
Dinner pork chop, stuffed mushroom,onion, asparagus and celeriac chips with glass dry white wine followed by a few berries from garden with sf jelly and spoon Greek yoghurt.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: strawberries, cream and vanilla and raspberry LC granola washed down with a black coffee.
Elevensies: black coffee and Birthday cake phd bar.
Lunch: Ham and pork scratchings followed by Greek yoghurt, orange chia pudding and vanilla and raspberry LC granola.
Dinner: gammon steak and mixed veggies followed by SF jelly, cream and raspberries.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Early afternoon (after a generous amount of coffee with milk) a cracker with butter and a hard goat's cheese, matured to the point of forming chrystals and falling apart :hungry:. Told you I impulse-bought cheeses yesterday, didn't I? :D
Late afternoon a piece of 'gatenkaas' cheese with big holes in it. According to my late mum the holes are made from delicious bacteria farts!

Evening meal: yesterdays cauliflower cheese with onions and mushrooms, microwaved today to reheat. It was good yesterday but the taste has gotten even better overnight!
Accompanied by miniature tomatoes and mozzarella with salt, pepper, olive oil, balsamic vinegar and a small piece of a sundried tomato in oil on each halved tomato.

107707718_10221282485646007_5779409597930949832_o.jpg

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just finished the most boring dinner ever! IP roast chicken, wilted spinach and broccoli. Nothing wrong with any of it really. Maybe I’ve just grown used to Diet Doctor creamy cheesiness in meals. I ate half a block of cheddar afterwards to feel full.
Lunch was tuna salad and a DGF choc orange brownie with cream.
Breakfast DD breakfast sandwich.
Having a glass or 2 of red now to get over the disappointment of the dinner.

Reactions: maglil55

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oops, meant to post this earlier - Mutt no1 On Mrs Chiro’s lap. He has clearly forgiven her for manhandling his neck and shoulder and back, ‘adjusting’ his tail, and stretching out his toes.

BDF275D6-7471-4211-8442-32C8E56745B8.jpeg

I just found some raspberries and clotted cream in the fridge! Yum!!! Mr B is going to regret leaving those unsupervised!

Last edited:

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not been feeling quite right so went to bed early last night but woke at 5:30 ravenous with a major headache. Eventually managed to ignore both and slept again until 9.
B yogurt, seeds and 1 tiny flat peach.
Exercise class but almost immediately felt poorly again, sweats and head. Thought bg might be low, but no , it was 7.7 which is high for me before a meal
L one chicken thigh, 25g cheese
Sat down and slept....bg 2 hours pp was back to 6.2
Did very gentle yoga class and got very cold
D mousaka sort of dish, mince layered with aubergines. Was still cold so heated some double cream with 1 sq 90% choc. That was lovely and warming.
Then fell asleep again!
Somethings not right, comes in waves of sweats and heads interspersed with a couple of hours of feeling fine.

Hoping tomorrow is another day

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
FBG 6.8 - not bad for me.
Had 40 units insulin and a few pieces of raclette (0 carb supposedly) cheese for breakfast - BG at 2 hours 14.7! I really thought raclette was pretty safe in BG terms, although not in calorie terms. Wrong again. A bit fed up about that.

Later, I will have to use the little carton of cassoulet that I took out of the freezer for yesterday, so I'm not expecting my BG to drop very far today.

Actually, strangely, BG did drop by mid afternoon to 7.0. Great (for me). Put the small amount of cassoulet into the remains of the soup from yesterday - "it'll go up, of course" but it didn't. Later, I was still hungry so had some salad with cottage cheese - BG only 7.2 after that. Odd, but not to look a gift horse in the mouth! Just had a few bits of cheddar cheese because I am still hungry.

I phoned the diabetic clinic this afternoon to see what they thought of my HBa1c result, but they haven't been given it yet. Anyway, had a chat with one of the diabetic nurses and she is going to ask the surgery to change the basal insulin to one she thinks will be better - it may take a while. She was quite horrified when I told her how much insulin I am taking. Have to keep it up meantime though, until the new one is prescribed.

I hadn't heard anything about "My Diabetes My Way" but I looked it up online and registered. Waiting for a letter, or something, from them now. Then, I suppose, it will be a case of getting a GP to sign it.

Reactions: Chook

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast: strawberries, cream and vanilla and raspberry LC granola washed down with a black coffee.
Elevensies: black coffee and Birthday cake phd bar.
Lunch: Ham and pork scratchings followed by Greek yoghurt, orange chia pudding and vanilla and raspberry LC granola.
Dinner: gammon steak and mixed veggies followed by SF jelly, cream and raspberries.
@Rachox
Please can you share your tips for having so many flavours of granola and chia pudding available?Do you bulk make?

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
FBG 5.4 - wonderful!
40 units insulin, 2 RyVita with cheese and 1 cup of tea later - 8.7. That's about 14 g of carbohydrate in the RyVita, not sure how much in the cheese.
I took a small portion of butternut squash soup out of the freezer last night and a small carton of what is labelled cassoulet (don't remember what that was but it probably has beans in it). Will probably have to give the cassoulet a bye to try to keep the BG down. Might have to add some veg to the soup to bulk it out a bit.

Although, last time I spoke to my diabetic nurse, she said I shouldn't be aiming to keep it between 4 and 7 and she would be happy with it around 8 to 10. Can't understand that, so I keep trying to get it down. Insulin helps a bit, but isn't the answer - hence the low carbs, but that doesn't often work either. Still, I have established that anything starchy is a total disaster in terms of BG, so that's something.
@Annb, I realise you don't have the same choice on the Western Isles but, if you see them Nairns do 2 GF crackers that are a lot lower in carbs than Ryvita. They are smaller but even 2 of the Nairn crackers are about half the carbs of Ryvita ( they taste better too!)

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@PenguinMum - you may have something there. Lockdown affecting the BGs. All our normal routines are shot and there's quite a few of us having issues. @DJC3 & @shelley262 - yes Godiva 90% is seriously good and I am very relieved I only bought one bar (although I may buy more next time I see it).
Wednesday bed 7.7 FBG 6.8
B. TAG and a slice of LC toast with pate
L. Nothing
D. Smoked trout, some king prawns, lettuce, tomatoes and Dairylea triangle. 4 squares of said Godiva.
Thursday bed 6.8 FBG 6.9
Food was exactly the same as Wednesday with the addition of another TAG and two Lotus biscuits because.....I finally got my hair cut today! I no longer have hair worse than Boris!
Yes, I did have another 4 squares of the irresistible Godiva.
With the hair done I was finally able to finish my blue badge renewal. I didn't fancy 3 years of a photo with my hair like that.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Rachox
Please can you share your tips for having so many flavours of granola and chia pudding available?Do you bulk make?
I made up two recipes for LC granola, they are both based on a combination of seeds, nuts and coconut. The chia I make with flavouring or coffee. It’s late now but I’ll post more info tomorrow. You might have to remind me ;)

Reactions: MrsA2

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
@Annb, I realise you don't have the same choice on the Western Isles but, if you see them Nairns do 2 GF crackers that are a lot lower in carbs than Ryvita. They are smaller but even 2 of the Nairn crackers are about half the carbs of Ryvita ( they taste better too!)

Thanks @maglil55 - I've looked online and the ingredients look suitable for me - much of the GF things I've seen have other things in them that I can't take. I'll ask No 2 son to see if he can get some.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Yayyyy its a weekend day for me today (Mr C works Sunday to Thursday).

Must be me... I can't imagine trying to eat four squares of any chocolate, even the lush Godiva and I have to eat it after a meal or I feel nauseous. I've always been like this with bars of chocolate, even as a child. Now....products like KitKat or Mars bar i could eat the whole thing without any problems at all. (And did.... much too often!I)

My Asda delivery is due today - at least nowadays we can return unsuitable subs. Orders seem to slowly be getting back to normal although Asda are still restricting the number of eggs per order.

Today....

Breakfast: Omelette with carb free syrup (pineapple and coconut flavour - pretty weird flavour - not nasty, just weird)
Lunch: the last of the Dolce Gorgonzola from Lidl (my favourite cheese)
Dinner: Quorn savoury eggs and various salads. If it stops raining dessert will be raspberries from the garden

A glass or three of wine will be consumed this evening

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Rachox
@MrsA2 here’s the granola recipe, chocolate was the original recipe I made up then I adapted it to make a vanilla and raspberry version.

D62171B5-3269-421B-946F-56CCF1B8A242.jpeg

Edit for typo.

Last edited:
Reactions: MrsA2

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Rachox
The chia puddings I make with 4 tsp of chia seeds to 65mls of liquid. I tend to use Benecol 65ml yoghurt drinks. I usually use the no added sugar natural flavour ones, then I add either a level spoon of espresso powder and sweetener or a tsp of lemon or orange extract. Occasionally I just simply use one of the no added sugar flavoured Benecol. Your post prompted me to buy the peach flavoured ones today which I haven’t used for a while. Once made chia pudding needs to be stored in the fridge for at least four hours or better still overnight before eating.

Reactions: MrsA2 and DJC3

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. An almost OMAD day. BG shot up - seem to be getting ridiculous dawn phenomenon at the moment - and then took an absolute age to come back down.

Started out early and caught a train to my dad’s for a socially distanced garden meeting with him, his wife and one of my sisters. Set out in glorious sun, but it was cloudy and windy on arrival. Lasted about an hour in the garden then had to leave due to shivering! Took the train back a few stops and then walked back to my hotel in Birmingham via various canals.

Hungry on arrival but not quite late enough for dinner so ate a bag of pork crunch with a couple of very cold drinks, followed by 3 Hotel Chocolat 85% batons.

Dinner a couple of hours later was Nando’s click and collect - plain wings and grilled halloumi. Delicious and a couple of wings leftover now in the fridge.

Just contemplating a very short evening wander.

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Peeps

brunch - 2 slices of corned beef, 2 squares of 90% Lindtt dark chocolate with peanut butter on top. Mug of earl grey tea with double cream.

Dinner - 2 chorzio & cheddar stuffed portobello mushrooms with 3 Heck Sausages (1st time I have had them and they tasted ok) with plum tomatoes. 1 thorntons strawberries & cream chocolate (I wonder if it will kickstart whatever needs doing as sometimes when I occasionally have a "normal" chocolate I can get lower readings??? - weird or what?) - wouldn't recommend anyone tries this at home.

@Goonergal - what is pork crunch?

Strangely, my dawn phenomenon is ok at the moment but I feel my BS are sometimes higher than usual during the day which is the opposite of what it was before lockdown - I don't know if it is because I am really only having 2 meals a day at the moment, rather than 3 and I am going to bed later and getting up later than I usually do when working, also can't seem to lose any more weight not sure if my metabolism has slowed down with eating less or because of my age (menopausal) - I think we are all upside down and round about at the moment with this COVID carry on.

Debating whether to bring my washing in before I go out for walk as it has been mainly sunny here today with occasional showers.

Reactions: DJC3 and maglil55