DIY face masks & info on wearing masks effectively...

Zilsniggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I have noticed on TV that many doctors and nurses wear a surgical mask on top of their FP3 mask. Does anyone know why?

Possibly because they are reusing FFP3 masks, as not enough of them to go around..........

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
And lets not forget the poor old whales

The masks you throw away could end up killing a whale'

"As the world battles the coronavirus pandemic, more and more protective equipment is ending up in the sea.
We are putting 129 billion face masks and 65 billion plastic gloves into the environment every month, according to Ocean Conservancy.
Divers and observers are spotting more of this discarded waste floating underwater, causing problems for wildlife and washing up on shorelines all over the world."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/scien...s-you-throw-away-could-end-up-killing-a-whale

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon

The masks you throw away could end up killing a whale'

"As the world battles the coronavirus pandemic, more and more protective equipment is ending up in the sea.
We are putting 129 billion face masks and 65 billion plastic gloves into the environment every month, according to Ocean Conservancy.
Divers and observers are spotting more of this discarded waste floating underwater, causing problems for wildlife and washing up on shorelines all over the world."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/scien...s-you-throw-away-could-end-up-killing-a-whale

Yep, whales, turtles, the fish you eat... more garbage being added to the already horrid amount of garbage that is already ending up in the ocean. In particular, the micro plastics.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The reuseable aspect was one of my priorities when sorting out the Chez B face covering supply.
Good quality washable reuseable handkerchiefs and washable reuseable hair bands, and reuseable washable safety pins.
I also got a roll of v high quality filter media to insert - that isn't reuseable, but it is easily disposed of very responsibly.

Having said that, I hardly wear a mask at all, due to happily avoiding crowds, shops and the high street wherever possible (a habit that predates COVID). I don't see the point of wearing one on a dog walk, and simply back away when people come too close. If they follow me, I ask them to step back. They always look shocked, I mean, no one bothers with that nonsense any more, do they? :rolleyes:

Mr B is supplied with good quality masks at work, and uses a lot of them, as per the regs for his role.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Is anyone wearing eye wear as well as a mask?

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
I have a couple of FFP3 masks, bought for glazing ceramics before COVID was a gleaming evolution’s eye, and I wear a single use mask over them to preserve them. I also wash them in soap, just to be sure. And yes, @Tophat1900, I wear sunglasses and didn’t take them off on the three occasions I’ve been inside a garden centre and pharmacies. Maybe in winter I’ll unearth the ceramics glazing goggles too, or even my much loved mares mask I used to wear for Scuba.
I’ve just looked at indiegogo, it’s heartening to see a group of young innovators!

Reactions: Tophat1900

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Sunglasses. But again, I would be wearing them most of the time at this time of year.
(my mother has just had a double cataract op, and my father is heading the same way. Their consultant has made it very clear that the use of sunglasses will delay, or prevent the development of the type of cataract they have both developed)

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Well I have a visor and my trusty steampunk goggles as you can see in my avatar looks peculiar out and about but they are a good tight fit and work quite well as long as I don't use the dark lenses as they are like welding goggles then and I would be effectively blind. I wear nunglasses all year round as a matter of course MG makes it very difficult for your eyes to adjust to different levels of light so even low light levels at times will make seeing quite hard.

Reactions: Tophat1900

pdmjoker

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
" ... We are putting 129 billion face masks and 65 billion plastic gloves into the environment every month, according to Ocean Conservancy. ... ."
I suspect that estimate is rather high. There are 9 billion people on the planet, each of whom throw away 14 masks a month? How much of the world has access to masks? Even if not general population, if 1 in 60 people are NHS workers, like in UK (highly unlikely for some countries, and clinical staff are 1 in 120) that makes 70 face masks per day per NHS person (140 per day for clinical staff). Have I missed something obvious?

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
In China during the outbreak there people were changing their masks every half hour or so I have been told look at the tons of plastic bags that ended up in the sea over estimate or not it's going to cause a huge amount of damage and has to be addressed in some way.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
I do wear sunglasses anyway, it seemed odd to me if people are wearing masks and no form of eye wear protection. Cover one access point (So to speak) but leave the other wide open seems a little like being half prepared. Steampunk googles just makes it interesting. ;)

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I do wear sunglasses anyway, it seemed odd to me if people are wearing masks and no form of eye wear protection. Cover one access point (So to speak) but leave the other wide open seems a little like being half prepared. Steampunk googles just makes it interesting. ;)
If we agree that the main purpose of a mask is to protect others then unless you are projecting the virus from your eyes there is some logic to just wearing a mask.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
If we agree that the main purpose of a mask is to protect others then unless you are projecting the virus from your eyes there is some logic to just wearing a mask.
And if we agree that wearing a mask is to protect others and your self and as the eyes are a pathway for pathogens to enter the body then it is perfectly logical to wear eye protection is that not why visors are worn by medical professionals.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon

Well, I think it works both ways. You are trying to not to infect others, but also not get infected at the same time.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
How do you know your healthy or anyone else is?
The pre-symptomatic and asymptomatic can pass virus on but they can feel perfectly well but they may unwittingly kill others.
D.
Perhaps I should have phrased that as robust rather than healthy meaning unlikely to be felled by the 'Rona.
If those healthy people could pass it around then they will be creating a buffer.
Please be aware that the virus rate is less than 1 in 2000 in any case.
Perhaps those who may be unwittingly 'killed' by my theoretical asymptomatic transmission, may have chosen to expose themselves to this risk?

lindisfel

Expert
Perhaps I should have phrased that as robust rather than healthy meaning unlikely to be felled by the 'Rona.
If those healthy people could pass it around then they will be creating a buffer.
Perhaps those who may be unwittingly 'killed' by my theoretical asymptomatic transmission, may have chosen to expose themselves to this risk?
I must admit your logic defeats me!
You should be a politician. :)

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I still think we could do with I think you are talking nonsense emoticon.

pdmjoker

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
In China during the outbreak there people were changing their masks every half hour or so I have been told look at the tons of plastic bags that ended up in the sea over estimate or not it's going to cause a huge amount of damage and has to be addressed in some way.
Good point! Sadly, some countries just dump their rubbish in the ocean...

Dinet

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
While UK sends plastic bags etc abroad so others countries have to deal with our mess. Nice!