Is Medtronic's Product Support slower than before?

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I phoned Medtronic on Monday afternoon to tell Product Support that the previous night I entered a BG of 11.6 and my 670G would normally alert to say a correction was required but it didn't. There was no active insulin, so I couldn't understand why this happened. The girl I spoke to asked me to upload my pump to Carelink, so that she could find out what was happening at the time. She asked me to e-mail her when I had uploaded. I had difficulty uploading, presumably because Medtronic has updated Carelink, but eventually sent my e-mail at around 4.45pm.

I received an e-mail yesterday afternoon, saying she would have a look and get back to me. It is now 5.45pm on Wednesday and she still hasn't got back to me. I still don't know if there is a fault with my pump (I reckon there must be) or if it was a one off and there is nothing to worry about.

This is the first time in 10 years that Medtronic hasn't dealt with a pump problem on day one. I am surprised that this has happened, as Medtronic has always been so helpful in the past. Has anyone else had this problem, with the 670G, or Medtronic?

Dexta

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Did your entry of 11.6 BG indicate an appropriate correction bolus or was it that you just didn’t get a high level alert before testing?

How closely calibrated was your pump at that time?

Has it happened again?

I usually find Medtronic are very prompt when dealing with the very few issues I’ve encountered.

It would be really helpful if you can share their eventual response.

Thanks

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Did your entry of 11.6 BG indicate an appropriate correction bolus or was it that you just didn’t get a high level alert before testing?

How closely calibrated was your pump at that time?

Has it happened again?

I usually find Medtronic are very prompt when dealing with the very few issues I’ve encountered.

It would be really helpful if you can share their eventual response.

Thanks
When I entered my BG of 11.6 no correction was indicated. The calibration was accepted ok. The pump had shown 10.8 before I did my BG. This was the first time a correction has not been suggested with a high BG and no active insulin. What made matters worse was that I was wakened by an alert 4 hours later, telling me to test BG to remain in auto mode, as maximum basal had been used for 4 hours.

Medtronic got back to me today (with a bit of promoting from me.) I was told that my Carelink results showed my BG had started to fall when my BG was 11.6, so the pump did not suggest a correction. I said I couldn't understand this, as if a correction had been taken I wouldn't have been alerted 4 hours later. She hasn't got back to me on that.

Everything had been fine with any necessary corrections since, so at least that's something.

Dexta

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
When I entered my BG of 11.6 no correction was indicated. The calibration was accepted ok. The pump had shown 10.8 before I did my BG. This was the first time a correction has not been suggested with a high BG and no active insulin. What made matters worse was that I was wakened by an alert 4 hours later, telling me to test BG to remain in auto mode, as maximum basal had been used for 4 hours.

Medtronic got back to me today (with a bit of promoting from me.) I was told that my Carelink results showed my BG had started to fall when my BG was 11.6, so the pump did not suggest a correction. I said I couldn't understand this, as if a correction had been taken I wouldn't have been alerted 4 hours later. She hasn't got back to me on that.

Everything had been fine with any necessary corrections since, so at least that's something.

I think Medtronic’s explanation is quite believable. Although I would imagine your M670g would have taken some considerable time to get you anywhere near to it’s/your 6.7BG target from 11.6BG.

From my experience with my own M670g at anywhere near 11BG or higher I would probably have given myself a small bolus just to help it when there’s no actual insulin, particularly if I was resting. (Medtronic might well disagree) but it would work for me.

For those lucky enough to get the new M780g hopefully from this Autumn in the UK, it looks as though extreme BG results will be more effectively corrected when in Auto mode.

I used to think it was odd that my 670g would sometimes calibrate with a lower BG reading displayed rather than the actual reading I had just tested. I can only assume that on those occasions the pump is immediately predicting my BG level when I’m on a downward trend. If that’s the case then it’s impressive.

Reactions: dancer