What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Managed to see 2 friends yesterday, one came in for coffee (felt strange at first but we soon settled to chatting. Kept door open for air but it was sooo cold). Then went for a walk with another friend in the afternoon. My mood is definitely improved if I can move my body and get some fresh air every day.
L was left over aubergine parmigiana
D a beef burger with cheese (no bun) with 2 glasses wine at on open air pub event. It got cold so we didn't stay long but it good was to see so many people, and it was well social distanced.
When got in had a square of 90% lindt melted in good slug of double cream.. my take on hot chocolate

Thanks @Rachox for the granola and chia recipes. Think I might hold off making the former until my weight has come down a bit more...I can see I'd eat too much of it.

Reactions: Annb

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Snack: 4 sour worm sweets :grumpy:

So now I'm hoping I overdid the correction so I'll have no choice but eat another piece of bread :hilarious:
My plan worked out perfectly. Except for the cat. He chose the exact moment my bg started dropping quick to come in after a fight with our neighbour's T-Rex with a hurt eye.
So instead of savouring a rare treat of fresh bread I got to eat sour worms on my way to the vet.

I'll have to tell the neighouring cat to save the fights for weekdays, out of hours vet bills hurt even more than regular vet bills.
My cat hasn't even finished his course of eardrops yet, so now I'll have to do the ear drops twice a day and the eye drops 4 times a day.
Maartje doesn't like either...

Reactions: DJC3

mymuk

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast was 70g smoked mackerel on 50g of home made Rye and Barley seeded sourdough, bit of butter and mayonnaise, 20g of peanuts, and a coffee with milk.

Total Carbs 19g.

Blood sugar on waking was 5.8. Two hours after eating it was actually down (!) to 5.1.

Just had a totally identical meal for lunch.

5.0 before eating. Curious to see what it is in two hours...

Edit : up to 6. Which is both what I'd expect and perfectly OK.

Last edited:

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Brunch - 2 heck sausages and plum tomatoes (leftover from yesterday)

Dinner - omlette with mushrooms, onions, tomato & cheese. SF jelly and extra thick double cream.

Have enjoyed a really lazy Saturday (I think it's Saturday) - making the most of it before I go back to work.

Since I have gone higher fat or may be just coincidence - I have put a couple of pounds on - so now the sun is out I better go out and walk even brisker to try and get it back off :banghead:

Rubyjewelz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Illness
Share what you've eaten today with the rest of the DCUK community and maybe steal a few ideas for yourself!

Please remember that this is the 'Low Carb Diet Forum' and that this thread isn't for low carb debates :)
Half an avocado, I made some pakoras, had a couple of low carb biscuits...then made cabbage with chickpea pasta, lot's of black pepper...x

Rubyjewelz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Illness
Breakfast was 70g smoked mackerel on 50g of home made Rye and Barley seeded sourdough, bit of butter and mayonnaise, 20g of peanuts, and a coffee with milk.

Total Carbs 19g.

Blood sugar on waking was 5.8. Two hours after eating it was actually down (!) to 5.1.

Just had a totally identical meal for lunch.

5.0 before eating. Curious to see what it is in two hours...
I was going to ask, what's the best milk, i'm T2...Thank you...x

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks @Rachox for the granola and chia recipes. Think I might hold off making the former until my weight has come down a bit more...I can see I'd eat too much of it.
I only ever have a dessert spoonful sprinkled over something else such as sugar free jelly and cream or Greek yoghurt. I never have it just as a bowl of cereal!

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: strawberries, LC raspberry and vanilla granola and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Elevensies: black coffee and raspberry phd bar.
Lunch: Ham and a small packet of Cheesies followed by Greek yoghurt, coffee chia pudding and LC chocolate granola.
Dinner: Sausages, carrots, broad beans and mashed potato (mum chose the veggies again so had tiny portions!) followed by SF jelly, cream and raspberries.

Reactions: Chook

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Shelley - Are you a Low Carb Programme member? There are loads of exercise sessions on there too.
@DCUKMod thank you yes I am and have watched a few they are very good. I’ve been getting ideas together to put my own routine together and including some I’ve learnt from Pilates.

mymuk

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was going to ask, what's the best milk, i'm T2...Thank you...x

I just use full fat. Lots of people use cream (slightly fewer carbs) but I don't like the mouthfeel of it in coffee.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Managed family meet up today in a nearby country park - very enjoyable to catch up and the sun even came out.
Lunch picnic two boiled eggs with salt and two squares of 100% choc and flask of coffee with cream
Dinner hm lc chicken curry with half a slice of toasted lc bread with glass of gin with soda water followed by DGF Lemon and blueberry cake with spoon of extra thick double cream.
@SlimLizzy life sounds difficult just now take extra care of yourself during this tough period of your life.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@MrsA2 I completely agree that mood is improved by getting fresh air and moving about a bit daily. Sometimes hard to motivate oneself but always makes me feel better.
@SlimLizzy you seem utterly overwhelmed. That’s such a big and exhausting ‘to do’ list. I hope you can find the energy to manage a tiny bit tomorrow.
Breakfast: bacon and fried eggs
Lunch: salad leaves with ham and a h/b egg. H/m mayo. Followed by DGF strawberries and cream blondie with extra thick cream.
Dinner: Fillet steak. Halloumi chips, fried mushrooms and more salad leaves.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. Lovely day today.

Started with a long canal walk around a loop in Birmingham. Back to hotel via Hotel Chocolat for a takeaway hot chocolate (cafe open but not for sitting in); nipped back to hotel for a shower then met a friend for a delicious meaty lunch at Rodizio Rico - one of those Brazilian places where they just keep coming round with meat until you tell them to stop.

Then another walk around the same canal circuit - not planned to go that far and this time with excellent company!

Have eaten some clotted cream, 3 85% batons and a piece of cheese back at the hotel. Should sleep well.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evenin’ All

knee having a slight relapse, so spent most of day sitting down. Entirely my fault. Did too much yesterday.
So watched several films and snuggled with dogs.
Also threw toys - endlessly - in the garden.

B: forgot
L: linseed crackers with brussels pate
D: korma and two onion bhajis

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Evenin’ All

knee having a slight relapse, so spent most of day sitting down. Entirely my fault. Did too much yesterday.
So watched several films and snuggled with dogs.
Also threw toys - endlessly - in the garden.

B: forgot
L: linseed crackers with brussels pate
D: korma and two onion bhajis
Sounds like a perfect day to me, except for the cause. Hope your knee will be less angry tomorrow.

I'd never heard of onion bhaji but a quick google search told me I want it. What recipe do you use?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Er... I just throw things together. But will have a look for a similar recipe online. :D

Reactions: Chook

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Er... I just throw things together. But will have a look for a similar recipe online. :D
If you could give us an idea of what kind of things you throw together I'm fine going from there :)
I suppose you didn't use the recipe with 2 onions and 100 gr. of flour...

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
An odd sort of brunch as I was going to try to make it to lunch time but then ate a couple of small flat peaches that were left on the side (I can resist fruit in a fridge but not in a fruit bowl :wacky:) and thought I'd better have something else to offset them so ate a some olives, almonds and cheese that I had put together and taken out with me last night in case there wasnt anything suitable at an event we went to. So ended up being a weird but tasty and satisfying brunch.
Dinner was mussels in garlic butter. Now pre diabetes these would have been eaten with either crusty bread or chips or spaghetti so thought what could I have that could mop up all those lovely juices? Answer proved to be some celeriac mash from the freezer. Boy it was good.
A yen for something crunchy was filled by some grilled cheese with seeds, just a little bit and the whole lot finished with 1 sq 90% chocolate
So a day of odd bits that just seemed to hit the satisfying mark. Happy mouth, happy tummy and low bg too :)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Antje77

Ok, this is a good you tube vid giving a standard onion bhaji recipe

Gram flour (chickpea flour) is the traditional flour.
You will find keto recipes around using Almond flour and linseed.
I have tried those, but went back to gram flour, because I prefer it, but in order to keep the carbs down I make a thin batter, and just lightly coat the onion.

i also cheat by using Pataks curry paste instead of grinding my own spices. :D

again, the traditional recipes are for deep fried blobs. However, I don’t like deep frying, so I squash my bhajis into flat rounds (like a cookie) and shallow fry in minimal oil (I cannot stand the stink of frying oil hanging in the kitchen air). The flatter they are, the crispier the edges get. :wacky:

hope that helps!

(Basically wot I do, is pop a pan on to heat, chop an onion, stir in a 1/4 teasp curry paste, add salt and pepper, crack an egg over it, stir the egg through, and then sprinkle on gram flour, while stirring, til it forms a light batter. By then the pan is hot, so I lob the bhajis in, squash them flat, flip when crisp, and serve)

Last edited: