Impact of Rituximab on Blood Glucose

mattw

Does anyone have experience of this?

I am on a quick (4 doses at one week intervals) course of R for a just diagnosed chronic leukemia ("Hairy Cell"), which is fortunately well understood with a successful and routine treatment regime which puts it into long term remission nearly all the time.

I find that my control has slipped, and I wonder whether the treatment is having an effect?

My initial indication is that I may have to double my insulin to carb ratio.

I'll be doing a test in the morning, but comment from anyone with experience of the treatment would be helpful.

(Me: 20 years Type i diabetes, earl 50s, last A1c was 7.3%, Average BG has jumped from around 9 to 10+ mmol/l. I am on MDI and a Freestyle Libre)

Cheers

Matt

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Does anyone have experience of this?

I am on a quick (4 doses at one week intervals) course of R for a just diagnosed chronic leukemia ("Hairy Cell"), which is fortunately well understood with a successful and routine treatment regime which puts it into long term remission nearly all the time.

I find that my control has slipped, and I wonder whether the treatment is having an effect?

My initial indication is that I may have to double my insulin to carb ratio.

I'll be doing a test in the morning, but comment from anyone with experience of the treatment would be helpful.

(Me: 20 years Type i diabetes, earl 50s, last A1c was 7.3%, Average BG has jumped from around 9 to 10+ mmol/l. I am on MDI and a Freestyle Libre)

Cheers

Matt

Check your PIL?

Some websites list high blood sugar as side affect, some don't.

https://www.webmd.com/drugs/2/drug-5206/rituxan-intravenous/details/list-sideeffects

Peter03

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I was on rituximab for 30 months, it never affected my in insulin needs, however all the steroids played havoc with my blood sugers, I have been in remission for 5 years now, so good luck and keep well

mattw

I've increased my insulin ratio by 50% (ie 1u / 5g to 1u / 3.5g), and it is now hitting the ball park.

So we'll continue to play...