How many high reading do you get?

TMG123

Hello everyone, I've been type I for about 13 years now, I'm on a medtronic pump which is pretty good.

I've had a little read through some of your comments and must say it's nice to hear that you all seem to have the same thoughts/issues as me....good days and bad I guess.

Anyway, I understand that this is a bit of an arbitrary question but how often do you get high readings (over 10 I guess)? Is it daily?

I ask as I seem to be going high quite a lot, pretty much every day, and it drives me (and as a result my family) mad, I just wonder if I'm alone here?

My HbA1c is usually pretty good but I obviously still worry about the long term.

Thanks!

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Anyway, I understand that this is a bit of an arbitrary question but how often do you get high readings (over 10 I guess)? Is it daily?
I get it every time my dawn phenomenon kicks in (so that's not every day but quite often) - am waiting for a pump to help with this.
Some days I have entire days where it doesn't seem to want to go below 10 no matter what I do, but on the days where it is more behaved I will go above 10 some of the time - normally breakfast is the worst culprit (I don't have time for a nice cooked lowish carb breakfast) but other meals can be a problem if the insulin takes its fine old time to kick in

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
I am similar to @Rokaab some days I am fighting an uphill battle so tend to avoid carbs in the morning, otherwise I am high most of the day, I also have to avoid eating after 8 or eating a lot of fat or protein as I can then run high all night, some days (with zero stress) I can be ok but change the dynamics round with exercise and stress and it’s a yo yo, finding your own rhythm is essential so see what works and tweak if necessary, remember resilience is key and not getting beaten if the meter gives you a bad day.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Regularly! Then can go for ages on a level playing field. I have decided not to worry. The only option is to stop eating and sit static on a chair all day, and hey, life is for living.

Reactions: kev-w and ert

MarkMunday

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
... I seem to be going high quite a lot, pretty much every day, ...
I only go high if I have eaten something or I am rebounding from a low. I would test basal rates across the full 24 hour cycle to see if there are gaps in basal insulin action that may explain the highs. As you have a pump, adjusting basal rates is easy. Highs ca be caused by inadequate basal fates during the previous 2 hours. It is something that needs done regularly anyway. When basal rates are in line with basal requirements, focusing on bolusing becomes a lot easier.

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
All I’ll say is that theses days my highs aren’t as regular as they were , let’s face it we,re never going to get it perfect that’s why we’re diabetic. I lost my leg and that wa down to constant and I mean constant highs now I TRY to keep my sugars “ in range “ but it doesn’t always happen and I don’t expect it too , I don’t worry about it to have serious complications you need to be like I was ie never taking bloods Hb1 a. Always in high 90s . Having the odd reading above 10 is not disastrous. Trying to keep bloods on same level as if you weren’t diabetic is impossible in my opinion , diabetes is hard enough without trying to make it a jail sentence which contrary to popular belief I believe it isn’t.

Reactions: SueJB and kev-w

Wayward Blood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi TMG and welcome to the forum.

Have you heard anything about low carbohydrate diets? I adopted this way of eating in 2014 and it's changed my life. Here are my blood sugar results for the past couple of weeks (obtained through my use of the Freestyle Libre). They're not perfect, but this gives you an idea of what is possible.
Screen Shot 2020-07-10 at 11.11.19.png

You'll need to make up your own mind about low carbohydrate diets, but I thought it could be useful to mention them. If you are interested about learning more, check out this video by Dr Troy Stapleton (who also has Type 1 diabetes):

All the best. :)

Wayward Blood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, low carb diets definitely helps. Your numbers are very stable. Do you use a pump?
No, I inject Tresiba and Humalog manually. I've personally never been interested in pumps, but can see why they appeal to others.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Not many tbh - unless I decide to chuck my usual foods out of the window and get the carb count wrong.

annliggins

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
All I’ll say is that theses days my highs aren’t as regular as they were , let’s face it we,re never going to get it perfect that’s why we’re diabetic. I lost my leg and that wa down to constant and I mean constant highs now I TRY to keep my sugars “ in range “ but it doesn’t always happen and I don’t expect it too , I don’t worry about it to have serious complications you need to be like I was ie never taking bloods Hb1 a. Always in high 90s . Having the odd reading above 10 is not disastrous. Trying to keep bloods on same level as if you weren’t diabetic is impossible in my opinion , diabetes is hard enough without trying to make it a jail sentence which contrary to popular belief I believe it isn’t.
Love your response ... so true ... perfect is to hard and i like living safely and happily ,

UK T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there, like others have said it very much depends on my daily routine. Personally, I've been quite lucky in being able to have fairly stable control... that is until stress or illness decide to turn up! Hard to therefore measure in terms of how frequently I go high because the illness or stress usually linger for a few days meaning I have at least a few days where I'm carefully upping insulin but also expecting my sensitivity to return, and so trying to avoid hypos too. Lots of consultants are therefore now more interested in your 'time in target', though obviously if you're able to keep a log of the highs it might also show up a pattern for you?