My first year being T1D

derivadow

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, it is almost my first diaversary (T1DM September 2019, aged 47).

All in all the last year or so feels like a curates egg to me. I’m probably otherwise healthier than I’ve been for years but: I’m diabetic, I wasn’t this time last year; we’re in the middle of a pandemic etc.

I sometimes find that writing helpful, helps me order my thoughts. So I wrote this;

https://medium.com/@derivadow/one-year-on-8df84fea701b

I thought others might enjoy it; might find some solace in shared experiences. In any case it’s my last year plus a dash of politics, history of medicine and gaming.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I like the blog!

Just to make sure, you are aware your identity is clear from your blog, aren't you? No problem but I thought to ask, seeing as you use an anonimised profile on here.

Keep it up, sounds like you've got a strong hold on your diabetes!

derivadow

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you and thanks for pointing that out. Yes I’m ok with people knowing who I am (here and there). Also I can think of no other forum I’m part of where anyone would point this out

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Welcome to the forum @derivadow :)

Sounds like you have adapted very well and are doing a great job with your control.

Reactions: derivadow

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you and thanks for pointing that out. Yes I’m ok with people knowing who I am (here and there). Also I can think of no other forum I’m part of where anyone would point this out

At DCUK, we take member safety and security very seriously.

Historically, we have had a small number of members who have, some time into their membership, have felt they have divulged too much personal "stuff" on forum - whether, relating to their identity, or their condition, in their challenging periods.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with choosing to use your given name, but if any time you feel you might rather not have done that, your user name can be changed, if you let someone in the Mod Team know. It isn't something you can do yourself.

Reactions: derivadow

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
@derivadow blog is pretty good. You seem to have "got this" I am 49 years in and am still learning new things on a weekly basis ----- well it may be monthly now lol.
Does it get any easier.....? Hmmmmm for long termers then yes, without a doubt it is a million times easier now with all the tech available to help