Energy Drinks

cricketer

Is it safe for type 1's to drink energy drinks? I've been having around 1 red bull a week when Im feeling tired at the end of the week and haven't had any probs keeping my blood sugar in check.

Was reading on the back of a different energy drink (KX from Tesco) it says not suitable for diabetics. Im confused by this!? :?

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*
I think it has to be a personal choice, and as a T2 I choose to give them all a wide berth in favour of sparkling (carbonated) water if I get caught out away from home.

cricketer

Ah right, yeah fair enough for type 2's I can imagine it causing a problem with blood sugar levels.

I feel like a bit of an idiot now if it is bad for me as I've been on the vodka redbulls for last few weeks

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*
cricketer said:
Ah right, yeah fair enough for type 2's I can imagine it causing a problem with blood sugar levels.

I feel like a bit of an idiot now if it is bad for me as I've been on the vodka redbulls for last few weeks

I hope for the sake of other road users you have not been driving over the last few weeks.

cricketer

I dont have a car at the moment, but driving would not be a problem for me after a red bull as my blood sugar is well controlled

copepod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The reason they say "not suitable for diabetics" on Red Bull cans or supermarket own brands is that they contain high doses of caffeine, which can give symptoms that feel like hypoglycaemia. It's not the sugar that's the issue, as the same message appears on full sugar and diet / suagr free versions. Personally, I can't stand the taste of Red Bull type drinks, so keep a bottle of diet coke in my car for use when driving long distances, in case I need caffeine, but not extra sugar. I'm type 1, but my blood suagr is only well controlled because I work hard to keep myself, other people who rely on me, other road users etc safe by being responsible about matching insulin doses to carbohydrate intake, effects of exercise, stress etc and not drinking any alcohol if I'm going to be driving in the next few hours. However, I will cyle home after drinking a pint or two of beer.

moonstone

I'm type 1 and haven't got any problems at all with caffeine, I drink a lot of coffee. A friend of mine developed a totally carb-free one called ubershot. It's got something in it that is officially a carbohydrate in scientific terms but it does not convert itself into useable carbs in the body, so it is legally counted as a zero-carb product. You can google it, you can get it delivered with your weekly shop with one supermarket or buy directly from the suppliers. They do indeed have a lot of caffeine in them, and my friend doesn't advise me to have coffee around the time I drink it. It's a tiny little shot and not for mixing with vodka. If you're having sugar-free red bull I don't see the problem but you do have to be conscious not to have too many as too much caffeine can cause anyone, diabetic or not, to have some problems. The ones I'm talking about are called energy shots, 58mls, they do exactly what they say on the tin. If you're having red bull with sugar with your vodka, it might be working out ok for you simply because the vodka will drop your sugars eventually anyway, so the sugar's helpful. I wouldn't have too many in a row myself, but if you're out dancing and stuff maybe it's all good because you need the carbs under those circumstances, but still, the caffeine can cause probs for some people.