Recommended reading for low carb/muscle workout

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No not me! But my son is active and keen to body build in the sense of lean, strong and muscular rather than the huge powerlifting sense. He’s reading a lot about increasing carbs massively, bulking and cutting - all very much the traditional views. Til now I’d done a reasonable job advocating moderate rather than high carb and avoiding processed or sugary foods and lifting the demonisation of fats. He’s now tracking macros (and calories).

Is there someone or something out there that anyone could recommend as a good source of learning how moderate/lower carb can work for these particular goals? He’s young, very fit and healthy with no know conditions - just the family history of type 2 and insulin resistance to be aware of in the long term. I just would like to be able to give him an alternative view to consider about the nutritional way forward.

Reactions: LaoDan

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
I’m interested in this too, very much. While I haven’t found a perfect single source, I have found a wealth of information.

Example, guys like stan efferding use carbs as a medicine, will recommend exactly 3oz of fructose (orange juice) in a post workout meal, specifically to raise insulin in order to push amino acids into muscle cells via GLUT-4.
Everything is exactly timed, when you can have carbs and when you can’t.

I don’t agree with everything, some trainers say no coffee, which is totally bologna.. right ?

guys like John Meadows (aka mountain dog). Recommend low carb and fasting to bring body fat in range.

Anyway, I’ve found bodybuilding nutrition very useful, particularly because it takes insulin, insulin sensitivity into consideration, but for now I need to cherry-pick what I feel will work for me. Especially the coffee advice

Reactions: HSSS

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Mmm one article he showed me was about deliberately raising insulin for anaerobic benefits. Set all sorts of alarms off for me hence asking for some wisdom here.

Reactions: LaoDan

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No not me! But my son is active and keen to body build in the sense of lean, strong and muscular rather than the huge powerlifting sense. He’s reading a lot about increasing carbs massively, bulking and cutting - all very much the traditional views. Til now I’d done a reasonable job advocating moderate rather than high carb and avoiding processed or sugary foods and lifting the demonisation of fats. He’s now tracking macros (and calories).

Is there someone or something out there that anyone could recommend as a good source of learning how moderate/lower carb can work for these particular goals? He’s young, very fit and healthy with no know conditions - just the family history of type 2 and insulin resistance to be aware of in the long term. I just would like to be able to give him an alternative view to consider about the nutritional way forward.

Ted Naiman and his P:E diet might be useful

https://pedietbook.com

Reactions: HSSS

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
Mmm one article he showed me was about deliberately raising insulin for anaerobic benefits. Set all sorts of alarms off for me hence asking for some wisdom here.

yep, it seems the GLUT-4 pathway is insulin dependent and is highly up regulated by intensive exercise. Source:
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/23899560/

What I’m doing is eating my carby meal within one hour of my workout. Carby for me equals less than 30gr. All subsequent meals are back on the keto plan (higher protein tho). I drink zero carb BCAA during my workout. And add in a whey protein shake somewhere after said workout.

no workout, no hypertrophy, then no added carbs. My theory is that the excess protein from my meals is enough to activate enough insulin to feed the cells .

I don’t have a big data set, just about 28 days on a libre an poking. The results are, I do not spike eating carbs directly after my workout. I have only tested < 50grams. However, I do spike if I eat those exact carbs outside that one hour window. Timing is key.

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
Just to add, and this is only my opinion. (T2s) If your BG is high before your workout, then you probably don’t need any added carbs. I had already brought my BG levels to around normal, via keto, before going on my adventure

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Is there someone or something out there that anyone could recommend as a good source of learning how moderate/lower carb can work for these particular goals?
Unfortunately everyone I have found writing about combining diabetes and serious resistance training is T1. It is possible to pick up some tips from them, but it is also frustrating that they have recourse to insulin, which does change the game.
Dr Runyan might interest your son. I receive regular emails in which Dr R transparently recounts his ongoing challenges, with full details of test results and nutrition. I saw a photo of him recently and his physique is impressive.
https://asweetlife.org/interview-dr-runyan-is-the-diabetic-ketogenic-athlete/
There is also the site Diabetes Strong https://diabetesstrong.com/fit-with-diabetes/ hosted by the equally impressive Christel. For a rather different approach, Phil Graham's "Diabetic Muscle and Fitness":
There is also "the Diabetic Athlete's Handbook" by Sheri Colberg 2008. I believe there is a newer version coming out. I haven't read this but it claims to be comprehensive. It is certainly aimed at T2s as well as T1s.
PS a gym friend of mine began resistance training late in life after being diagnosed T2. He eats pretty low carb and has built up a great, muscular physique. IMO it is sufficient protein and calory intake that matter for building muscle.

Last edited:

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
Found this video, interesting

Reactions: DJC3

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don’t agree with everything, some trainers say no coffee, which is totally bologna.. right ?
Some research studies suggest that coffee (including decaff) drinkers are less likely to develop T2. Does this mean coffee is helpful to those who are already T2? In any case, it's only a correlation, and I daresay the research was sponsored by the Coffee Grower's Association, but I definitely find it easier to enjoy my VLC meals when I have coffee and cream to look forward to afterwards.

I believe coffee can spike cortisol and so raise bg in some (but not all). I'm not clear abut the relationship between cortisol and successful weight training. @LaoDan perhaps you can enlighten me?

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
I guess cortisol is catabolic, but that wasn’t the reason I had read earlier. It was that coffee creates adrenal fatigue, possibly reducing training intensity. Also because a cup of coffee in the morning causes the stomach to flush out gastric acid, making harder on the body to absorb nutrients during breakfast.

definitely snake oil, totally not giving up my new coffee maker 9000.