Type 1 Type1 & grandchildren

Geordie Girl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hypos/high blood sugars
When can T1 pick up and hug grandchildren?
Any advice ?

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When can T1 pick up and hug grandchildren?
Any advice ?

I'd say whenever they like. It's a very personal decision of course based on whether you are shielding, whether you consider yourself at high risk or the children or member of their family at high risk, your general attitude to all of this and whether you feel it's currently safe to do so. What do your grandchildren's parents think? Honestly, if it was me I would hug them without any qualms whatsoever but as I say only YOU can risk assess things for yourself. Do you have a particular concern? x

Geordie Girl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hypos/high blood sugars
Thanks for your reply. I have been and am still being very careful and my family are concerned because the children are at school and nursery so are mixing with others and their teachers. I’m just not sure but as you say I will have to make my own decision. x

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hugged my son, who has been working the whole time as a policeman, and my 3 year old back at nursery grandson last Saturday. It was wonderful. My son had tears in his eyes. As has been said, it has to be a totally personal decision. We are also going to have grandson back one day a week as we did before lockdown. I don’t work, don’t use public transport haven’t been in a supermarket for nearly 5 months and not going on holiday any time soon. But close family contact became a deal breaker for me and my husband.

UK T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, as other say it depends on the contact the children have had to others too. How big is their school? Have any distancing measures been attempted there? If you're really concerned maybe ask the family to avoid contact with others again for a period (e.g. 7-14 days) before the hugs commence? Otherwise things like them putting on freshly washed clothes/washing hair just before meeting you might also help restrict transmission when you hug? E.g. if it is a small rural primary with 10 pupils per class all kept in the same bubble this greatly reduces chances of transmission.

As others say too, the benefits of family contact are huge. The risk can be controlled too, though I of course understand your concern fully.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Well I'm not T1 but if I tried to pick up my grandson and hug him I'd probably strain my back he's 25 and about 17 stone. Gone are the days I could pick him up and carry him on my shoulders so make the most of it now wear a mask wear gloves be careful but don't let the present situation come between you and your grand-children.:)

Reactions: lindisfel