What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow! I think this is where the Libre really comes into its own - tracking the speed of rise and fall. I’ve sometimes found ( after a lot of protein usually) my 2 hr reading is ok but might be higher at 3hrs - Id have missed this with finger prick.
I’ll be interested to see how quickly it comes down again.
4.9 at 2 hrs now 3.5 ? hrs later 4.4 but did maybe 25 mins lawn mowing. Now 4.2 @ 4 hrs- I'm hoping that means body not working too badly. You are spot on about Libre showing what I would have missed by just stabbing and checking at 2 hrs

Attachments

• upload_2020-7-13_12-21-53.png
    upload_2020-7-13_12-21-53.png
    22.7 KB · Views: 263
Last edited:

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I clearly didn't get back on track - I had fish & chips for tea:(
If craving pancakes I make perfectly acceptable low carb ones with just one egg and one tablespoon of full fat cream cheese. Whisk them together, and fry in melted butter. If wanting something sweet top with berries and full fat yogurt. Savoury, use cheese and chives.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
6.1 again this morning. Nowt wrong with that.
2 hours after breakfast of Greek yogurt, (full fat) walnuts, small banana and coffee, it was 4.9.
I manage bananas well, but can’t do rice or potato, or pasta.

Reactions: karen8967

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
4.9 at 2 hrs now 3.5 ? hrs later 4.4 but did maybe 25 mins lawn mowing. Now 4.2 @ 4 hrs- I'm hoping that means body not working too badly. You are spot on about Libre showing what I would have missed by just stabbing and checking at 2 hrs

Not too badly at all! Great recovery there.
Note to self - must do more lawn mowing.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Not too badly at all! Great recovery there.
Note to self - must do more lawn mowing.
I really miss all the lawn mowing at our last home. I'm thinking of asking our neighbours if I can mow theirs as well. All 3 might make about 1/3 of what I used to do. Grass doesn't grow very well here (except Newmarket) and I can't cope with that. What sort of place can't grow grass? No wonder there are thousands of pigs and trees round here :arghh:

Last edited:
Reactions: DJC3

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
4.6 today. I read the article which enraged @Debandez. Took it to mean just because, at a certain level, carbs ain't good for diabetics doesn't mean none is obviously best. Some more fat than has been the norm might not be too bad for you but bacon, eggs and double cream 4 times a day ain't good either. Never mind carbs/macros, be nutrition led. It clearly mentions real food and supports veg and salad = winner. From my experience weight loss - which it harps on about - is key. Does anyone seriously think a banana now and again is the work of the devil or as bad a pile of sugar cubes? That article is very much the wrong hill to die on IMHO.

There was so much that annoyed me in the article. 'Low carb is not a natural way for humans to eat, luckily most give it up' was just one sentence. And i racked up a few tweets yesterday that's for sure. So much so I'm all tweeted out today :)

Reactions: DJC3 and JohnEGreen

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
6.1 again this morning. Nowt wrong with that.
2 hours after breakfast of Greek yogurt, (full fat) walnuts, small banana and coffee, it was 4.9.
I manage bananas well, but can’t do rice or potato, or pasta.
I did an experiment yesterday. Medium banana. Went up to 9.2. Quite quickly. Took 3 hours to come back down. I used to love them and often had 2 on a working lunch.

Reactions: DJC3

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
4.2 on waking by degrees 4.4 then 4.6 so say 4.4 as an average. The accident with the full sugar caramel seems to have been absorbed by my body. Glad to see things looking brighter on fbg front @DJC3.

Reactions: karen8967 and DJC3

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I did an experiment yesterday. Medium banana. Went up to 9.2. Quite quickly. Took 3 hours to come back down. I used to love them and often had 2 on a working lunch.
Just shows how we are all individuals, doesn’t it. Also, for me, I have noticed how my blood glucose reactions have changed over time. I have had T2 for over 15 years, now. It is almost 9 years since I managed to get control through using Newcastle diet method. Immediately after that I could literally eat any amount of carbs, with no spikes in BG or raised HbA1c. After about 2 years this changed. I found pasta, rice, and and potatoes most problematic, but to a lesser extent fruit. The experiment with bananas has only been recent, but I do wonder if they are ok because I have them with full fat Greek yogurt. So I tried banana on toast, with cinnamon. Again no discernable rise in BG.
I would add that this is my own personal experience, and not advocating it for others to try. I never have been a fan of sugar, or sweet stuff generally, but sometimes a banana hits the spot. Of course there are likely to be other factors at play, such as age, gender, activity levels, stress, exercise etc. So many variables, and I will keep testing to see if my reactions to foods remain static or change. I am just aware that what works for many does not always work for an individual, and we are all individuals. Another example of this is that I often see the advice that to lower a spike in BG a good brisk walk should work, yet for me this results in a rise of 2-3 on the BG meter. Always exeptions to every rule, so only thing for me is to keep experimenting and never assuming that things will remain the same. Next month the banana may be the the thing that pushes my BG out of control. I can live with that.

Today fasting was 5.5

Reactions: DJC3 and karen8967