Stretched skin

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

Bit embarrassed but i should be proud so am going to ask. I am losing weight but unfortunately my skin is not very elastic. I already have a lot of stretch marks which I can just about cope with but am noticing the weight loss is starting to create a bit of "saggy skin" around my front

I have a good 20kg to go and am worried that it will end up looking awful on my stomach (I was 17st and now about 15 or so, aiming for 11 - 13)

Using lower carb and daily exercise bike (30min a day minimum) and walking when I can

Does anyone have any hints or tips on how to try and improve the impact of weightoss? I am trying bio-oil but would try anything to be honest!

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
Same, I’m starting from a bit heavier. My idea is to do weight training, fill some of the extra volume with muscle. I don’t think there’s any fix, so consider it a trophy

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I lost quite a bit of weight, got quite an apron hanging down - but now it has gone. My upper arms are not as floppy as they were.
I think that it just takes a bit of time for the skin to catch up.
I do wonder if the quite seriously major operations done post bariatric surgery are done as a quick fix never mind the risk ploy. When sumo wrestlers retire they slim down from huge weights to normal sizes and - it is reported, they do not need skin removal.
I did find a couple of small tee shirts and cut the tops off so I could wear them around my middle to support the apron - so my skin was not folded over in hot weather as I was getting sore, and I suppose that might have helped, but these days it is not a problem, it just took a bit of time. I am 69 now, diagnosed at 65, but improvement is still possible.

toddy35

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you're serious and don't mind a bit of pain. You could see if any of the private beauty/medical clinic's offer Body Sculpting as a service. I can attest that it definitely works at limiting the amount of excess skin when experiencing significant weight loss. It may leave you bruised and you will have to be almost naked with your therapist but I found the pain pretty minimal - depends on what you're used to. This is NOT massage, the machine shown via this link is essentially pinching you to a degree impossible with human hands and it will be used all over your body.
https://www.templevie.co.uk/the-programme/body-contouring/
Good luck

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

Bit embarrassed but i should be proud so am going to ask. I am losing weight but unfortunately my skin is not very elastic. I already have a lot of stretch marks which I can just about cope with but am noticing the weight loss is starting to create a bit of "saggy skin" around my front

I have a good 20kg to go and am worried that it will end up looking awful on my stomach (I was 17st and now about 15 or so, aiming for 11 - 13)

Using lower carb and daily exercise bike (30min a day minimum) and walking when I can

Does anyone have any hints or tips on how to try and improve the impact of weightoss? I am trying bio-oil but would try anything to be honest!

I didn't have a huge amount of weight to lose, but did end up with some loose skin in various areas. I found it improved significant over time, so please be patient.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Agree with the others that it should improve over time. Using fasting as part of your weight loss programme can also help with the skin retaining elasticity.

I still have loose skin, especially at the top of my legs, but it’s a lot better than the weight I was carrying.

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for all the replies. the weight loss is more important but the information that it may well fix itself is good to hear and there are other potential options

My other half doesn't care but it is something I worry about

streem26

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
You'll care a lot less than this about it when you reach your goal weight. By the time I had lost enough weight to see that I would have quite a bit of loose skin, I felt so well and healthy and loved the way my body had changed so much that I didn't care at all.
Things you can do:
Ab exercises. This doesn't tighten the skin as such, but it firms up your abs so everything in that area is sort of pulled upwards - 'tighter from the inside' - and slightly bulked out (in a good, firm way!) improving the appearance of the loose skin.
Vitamin E, fish oil, and coco butter. There are no miracle creams for this but these products I used with moderate success. Over time, skin will slightly tighten up, and with some additional products, you could see some improvement in a year or so. Best of luck!

Last edited:

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
there is so much to worry about :) really pleased your partner is supportive it makes a big difference. good luck and keep us posted on your progress.
I'm now down to about 92kg (give or take) and definitely noticing the saggy skin on my stomach and now realise I have it under my arms too.

Someone actually said to me that they could see the weight loss which was really nice and I know I should be happy about it but I really am starting to feel bad about the way I look. Guess I just need some confidence building. I mean, 16kg since my very worst is great but I just worry the further I go, the more my look will change

Maybe there are some targeted exercises I could do to supplement the bike

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Don't get despondent. Things may well yet change. My body is changing almost daily and parts a few weeks ago that looked saggy are now looking like they fit better.
Try to keep well hydrated, it's amazing the difference that makes to skin

Fruitella

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm now down to about 92kg (give or take) and definitely noticing the saggy skin on my stomach and now realise I have it under my arms too.

Someone actually said to me that they could see the weight loss which was really nice and I know I should be happy about it but I really am starting to feel bad about the way I look. Guess I just need some confidence building. I mean, 16kg since my very worst is great but I just worry the further I go, the more my look will change

Maybe there are some targeted exercises I could do to supplement the bike[/QUOTE
Not sure if any of these would help but came across exercise classes on Virgin channel 100 if you have that. Looked good to dip and out of. Enjoyed watching Daley Thompson!

Not sure if any of these would help but came across exercise classes on Virgin channel 100 if you have that. Looked good to dip and out of. Enjoyed watching Daley Thompson! Will do some tomorrow, promise! Having a 'bop' to very old Top of the Pops at the moment.

Perminder1

Hi,

Sit ups will help

Perminder1

Buy fit beast resistance bands they will help u tone up rom Amazon it's all body workout system or use the free gym equipment in your local park outdoor gyms are free

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the kind words. Today I realised my entire wardrobe is too big and realise I have lost 4 inches off my waist since lockdown started. Not going to say I like the flabby bits but that much loss has brightened up my day a bit

my wallet may not like a new wardrobe and I’m going to hold off buying too much till I hit my goal. But feeling a bit better now and will have a look into the suggestions made

lockdown has been bad, but it’s made a change in me and I can’t complain about that

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the kind words. Today I realised my entire wardrobe is too big and realise I have lost 4 inches off my waist since lockdown started. Not going to say I like the flabby bits but that much loss has brightened up my day a bit

my wallet may not like a new wardrobe and I’m going to hold off buying too much till I hit my goal. But feeling a bit better now and will have a look into the suggestions made

lockdown has been bad, but it’s made a change in me and I can’t complain about that
Keep that belt! I just keep putting more holes in mine and love seeing how it shows me how far I have come.

Reactions: LaoDan

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
More reassurance from a very ancient and lazy old woman who lost a fair bit of weight quite quickly, my skin has ended up as a fairly good fit for my new improved size - I don't even have a scraggy OAP style neck...

The only real issue I've had is that my trousers seem to have sneakily grown much longer legs since my weight loss so watch yourself on those stairs o_O - @MrsA2's belt suggestion is a good idea!

ETA: And I'd agree, definitely keep yourself well hydrated.

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks again. It's great to hear. I think I need to be patient

I was looking for at some old pictures with my partner and my health record and realised I have lost 19kg since October and definitely can see how much bigger I was in my old pictures. It's really given me a boost :)

I thought I had a long way to go, but have worked out I have already got over 50% of the way to my aim of 76.2kg. Thats brought a smile to my face

Last edited:

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi again
So, I have continued to lose weight. Probably, give or take, another 2 and a bit stone. Currently 81.7kg so about 12.8stone

Stomach is saggy, it's very wrinkly made worse by my stretch marks. I envy very much those with elastic skin!

Now have found that my rear has also gone, well, saggy and can't sit very long before I go numb!

I'm so happy to weigh less but the side effects are not helpful

Have a personal trainer appointment on Saturday and signed up to gym. Hopefully something can be done. Cause honestly feeling pretty down about it. It sounds bad but I'd almost like to put the weight back on so it looks okay :banghead: