Just salad

kevsta

So today was interesting

Not recommending this to anyone but just this has been my lowest reading

So today I had 1 cup of coffee no breakfast and just had a box salad from Asda and that’s it and my Levels are at 5.6!

So I’m thinking I could now treat this as a base line and see how I go

I think by having a base line it would be easier to work out what foods make the levels spike

Yes no ??

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don’t think that’s realistic.

To understand which foods make you spike, you need to know what the level was before you ate and then again after eating, not what they were another day after eating something else.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So today was interesting

So today I had 1 cup of coffee no breakfast and just had a box salad from Asda and that’s it and my Levels are at 5.6!

I think by having a base line it would be easier to work out what foods make the levels spike

Yes no ??

Well yes in a way but there are a LOT of foods apart from salad that would most likely have the same effect. It's called low carb and all the hard work is taken away from you when it comes to choosing foods that are low/no carbs. x x

kevsta

Yea I suppose but I still want to enjoy food but just want to ensure that whatever food I eat obviously nothing luxurious like doughnuts or something really sugary

But just trying to get an understanding of even basic things like different type of breads that have en effect on my body

What sort of bread do people tend to eat for someone that is T2

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
I don't eat bread any more. Some make their own Keto bread, others pick commercial brands with the lowest carbs.

Your BG meter is your best friend in choosing which foods are best for you.
We don't all react the exact same way to certain foods. Others can eat a small apple or a cooked carrot - but they would both spike me too much to contemplate - I know this because I tested them with my BG meter and made the simple decision not to do that (with those foods) again.

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I never eat ordinary bread, haven't for two year since my diagnosis. I sometimes buy lowcarb/hi protein bread which I eat sparingly otherwise I do without or make 90 second bread with ground almonds.
I avoid potatoes, rice, pasta but happily eat cheese, egg, chicken, fish, and greek yogurt or double cream with a few berries.

I tested which foods in the moderate carb group I can eat by testing before then 2 hours after eating. So I know that, for me, I can eat more raspberries than strawberries, that more than 30g of carbs in one meal or more than 100g a day are a problem, and that 2-3 squares of 85% chocolate are fine after a very low carb meal.

(I was on 85g a day until after I'd been in remission for a few months.)

Reactions: Duffysmum

Bodewhin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yea I suppose but I still want to enjoy food but just want to ensure that whatever food I eat obviously nothing luxurious like doughnuts or something really sugary

But just trying to get an understanding of even basic things like different type of breads that have en effect on my body

I don’t eat bread. I have phases where I make fathead dough pizza but usually don’t bother with the effort.

I can’t have a little of Carby things or I want them all. The cravings for me are terrible once I cave, not to mention the blood glucose, the irritability, and the fatigue.

I console myself with creamy coffee and steak. It isn’t so bad.

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
So today was interesting

Yes no ??

You can try what I did. I bought two libre sensors, then tested, logged everything for 28 days, dietary patterns, exercise, sleep & dawn phenomenon.. I also tested different timings I.e. carbs before and after exercise... even binge watching Netflix..

Anyway, it’s a fantastic way to find out exactly how your body reacts.

Reactions: HSSS

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Two things:

1. A lot of boxed salads contain carby fillers like couscous, pasta/noodles, rice, spuds, corn etc. So a salad is not always per definition low carb. Checked a couple and some were like 80 grams of carbs per serving. Yikes.
2. I don't usually eat bread at all, save for Keto Mug Bread... Otherwise, I'd steer clear. I know there are relatively low carb breads out there, but they're still to high for me. (In both carbs and pound sterling.).

You want to enjoy the food you eat, which is 100% a good idea. Otherwise it's hard to keep a diet/lifestyle up. So what you need is to learn is what foods spike you and which don't. And while testing around a meal, so before and then 2 hours after the first bite, is a good way of doing that, the rule of thumb you're looking for is the amount of carbs in a meal... Not some blood sugar baseline that doesn't exist, as it tends to fluctuate as you go along. Kind of like a unicorn, not something you're going to grab by the tail any time soon, or ever. Go for a measurable, invariable baseline of so-and-so many carbs, that'd be much more workable. If you can't baseline the blood sugar, baseline the carb-input. ;)

You'll get the hang of this, no worries.