Type 2's: What was your fasting blood glucose in a morning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ian in Cheltenham

Re: Type 2's : What was your fasting blood glucose in a morn

5.00 at 0800 this morning. I lazed around dozing in bed for a couple of hours and it had risen to 6.2 :cry: I wonder if I had got up and had breakfast whether it might not have risen so much.

Ian

markd

Back to normal after it had shot up a bit due to a gum infection, I think.

mark

didie

Dislikes
People who think they are always right and ram their opinions down your throat. No-one knows everything. Those who shout loudest are usually the ones who actually know the least.

4.9 fasting.

5.4 two hours post breakfast + exercise.

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.

6.1 at 08:00 on the 6th; 5.4 at bedtime

5.4 at 08:00 today.

Viv 8)

didie

Dislikes
People who think they are always right and ram their opinions down your throat. No-one knows everything. Those who shout loudest are usually the ones who actually know the least.

5.4 fasting.

4.9 two hours post-breakfast with no exercise at all as I was at daughter's bedside in hospital. I was expecting my levels to be really high and was very surprised and delighted to find they weren't.

chocoholicnomore

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Have been advised by DN to get morning reading to under 6 but finding it impossible.
I test as soon as I get up at 07:15 am. This morning it was 6.6 (was 5.2 prior to going to bed last night-had a snack of sausage and bacon-no carbs)
Am I testing too soon in the morning? Should I be leaving it until I have been up for a little while?
Tried exercising (wii fit) before bed the other night but it was still raised in the morning.
I take 1x500mg metformin with breakfast and 1x500mg with evening meal.
Any tips on how to reduce it to under 6 :?: :?:

didie

Dislikes

5.2 fasting

5.6 two hours post-breakfast + exercise.

I only ever test in the morning. I work on the theory that if my bloods are ok in the morning, they'll be fine for the rest of the day as I'm moving around. I test as soon as I wake up in the morning. In the evenings I don't eat after about 6.30 pm and don't drink after about 10 pm. I exercise 45 minutes - 1 hour after eating and do about 45 minutes - 1 hour of exercise after every meal. On the days I work the lunchtime exercise is curtailed, but I look upon those days as days off. My levels came down as I lost weight. I am very rigid in my routine, but as I am a self-confessed control freak it suits me :)

Lisa Carrier

Hi
Since I was diagnosed ...only this week I manage to come lower than 15...was 12.4 never lower

Reactions: 2 people

chocoholicnomore

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

7.7 this morning.

Going out tonight so I don't expect a good reading in the morning. :wink:

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.

It's all to do with the "Dawn Phenomenon" and liver dumps. If your BGs go too low overnight your liver will dump some glucose into your system to prepare you for the coming day. Our BGs rise naturally as we start to wake up, to get us going.

If you have a small carby snack before bed (a couple of oatcakes and some cheese, or a small portion of sugar-free muesli, as Angie suggests) you should have enough glucose in the system to see you through the night, so your liver won't dump too much.

When I was first diagnosed my fasting BG was always the highest of the day. As I settled in to low-carb, and as the weight began to come off, so my fasting BG came down.

Do take it first thing. I get out of bed, put the kettle on, and test while it's coming to the boil. Then I have my first cup of coffee. Once you're up, it will rise until you eat something.

My brother's been visiting for a couple of days so I've had a few things I shouldn't :oops: . I was quite pleased after fish & chips - 5.8 before, 6.1 2 hours after! but not many chips.

6.1 at 08:30 today! back on the straight and narrow now, until immediately before Christmas - well. that's what I tell myself! :lol:

Viv 8)

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.

6.1 at 08:00 today.

Viv 8)

SparkJack

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

6.45 7.7

No food as I'm having a repeat HbA1c

10.00 8.5

Went to the HCA for the blood test.
Sat in the car afterwards eating a banana before I took the dog for a walk.
Now panting for that first cup of coffee.......

As my fasting blood always rises and remains higher than I would like until the evening then I'm going to try a carby. snack of cheese and crackers just before bed.

Seeing the Dr on Weds. for the result of the re-test + how I'm doing on my new thyroid meds.

Marzeater

4.9 at 7:30am.
Omlette with salad for dinner and a glass of italian red wine before bed. :D

chocoholicnomore

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

6.4 at 7.15am this morning.

Was 5.7 at 10.20 last night so had a carb snack as suggested-2 crackers with cheese.

Looked back my readings and that seems to be my lowest morning reading so the carb snack must work. :)

Will keep trying and hope it brings it down further. Aiming for below 6.

didie

Dislikes

That's excellent Choc :)

I was 5.2 and then 5.6 two hours post-breakfast without my usual exercise which I was very pleased with.

jumbleannie1VDJQ

Dislikes
Intolerance, airports, having to plan my meals

5.9 so I'm happy. Virus must be outta my system, took a while though

johnts

Mine was 5.6 mmol/l this morning at half 4. Im allways up too early so quite pleased with that but would like to see it lower around 5mmol/l or slightly less

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.

5.7 at 08:00. Going back down after my treat-filled long weekend!

Viv 8)

chocoholicnomore

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

6.5 this morning-up a little but still learning and working on it :?

neilalastair

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
the western high carb diet.

chocoholicnomore said:
Have been advised by DN to get morning reading to under 6 but finding it impossible.
I test as soon as I get up at 07:15 am. This morning it was 6.6 (was 5.2 prior to going to bed last night-had a snack of sausage and bacon-no carbs)
Am I testing too soon in the morning? Should I be leaving it until I have been up for a little while?
Tried exercising (wii fit) before bed the other night but it was still raised in the morning.
I take 1x500mg metformin with breakfast and 1x500mg with evening meal.
Any tips on how to reduce it to under 6 :?: :?:

When I mentioned it to my Endo that I cannt get FBS below 6.5 in the mornings he said
"what do you expect - your a diabetic" Your HBa1c is 5.3 your doing well. off you go.

Status
Not open for further replies.