cocacola

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
celery, not eating chocolate
Forgive me, as I am a chocoholic too :lol:
I truly sympathise. If I were an alcoholic or a smoker I feel I would get more help. I am waiting for someone to invent a chocoholic patch :lol:
Last year I managed to lose almost a stone and my BG went down. I did this low carbing and allowing myself only one small bar of Galaxy a week.
Then I got fed up with being good, went back to my old ways and put all the weight back on and my BG has gone back up again.
I have no willpower what so ever :cry:
Tomorrow is another day :mrgreen:

Mothman

Dislikes
Raw tomatoes and arrogant people.
I need all the willpower i have and so far [fingers and toes crossed] i am coping.

I have given up all sweets, chocolates, biscuits, crisps,sugar,all of which i love. Also trying to reduce the bread, gluten free only[its yuk] and so far successful but its hard. No, i dont need a chest to pin the medal on, ive already got one but i dont know how long i will be able to continue. I suppose its something get to live without and then get used to doing without. Still like the red wine and cider though, be a while before i give that up.
Been thinking about all the things i have given up and actually, beginning not to miss them too much.

Andy

Caleb Murdock

I haven't said anything yet because I really have very little self-control. I do have some suggestions, though.

- Don't try to be perfect; if you are following a diet that is too stringent, then you are setting yourself up for failure.

- Your first and most important goal is to keep your blood-sugar under control; losing weight is secondary. If you have to eat, say, 50 carbs a day to lose weight, but you can't do it without slipping, then increase your carbs. It is better to eat 100 carbs a day than to completely lose control and eat 200 every day. In other words, don't bite off more than you can chew. It's very hard for a food addict to deny himself or herself entirely, but moderation is an attainable goal.

- If you can't live without sweets, then fit them into your diet -- but try to keep them to reasonable amounts. Having put them in your diet intentionally, you should then enjoy them without guilt.

- It's essential that you not allow yourself to become hungry. Don't try to eliminate both carbs and fat from your diet. Fat makes a diet more tasty, and it fills you up. Always have high-protein/high-fat foods available to snack on. Also, the less processed your food is, the more satisfying you will find it.

- Try to be inventive with your food. Look for ways to eat fewer carbs in areas which don't matter to you. Change brands of bread, yogurt, salad dressing, etc.

- Join a diabetes support group, if there is one in your area.

- Try meditation, prayer, affirmations, or any other spiritual practice that you think may help.

I can give you an example of being inventive with the food. Sushi is made fresh at my local supermarket every day, and I adore sushi. I was picking up a small tray of it every day that had 40-45 grams of carbs in it. I finally realized that what I really wanted was the taste of something fresh in my mouth, so I am now getting salads from the salad bar instead (15-20 carbs). One of the reasons I hadn't been going to the salad bar was that I didn't like the non-recyclable clam-shell containers they use; but then I realized that I didn't have to use those containers. I now use recyclable produce bags for my salad. I bring it home, dump it into a large bowl, and add my own low-carb dressing. I then turn the bag inside out, rinse it, let it dry, and then recycle it with the recyclable shopping bags. So I am getting a salad every day without harming the environment (something which matters to me), and I am eating fewer carbs.

Good luck to you.

Toms Grandma

There are times when I fall off the wagon and cannot get back on and need help. At that point, when having my regular acupuncture appointment I tell him and whatever it is he does, it usually works.

I am not suggesting acupuncture is for everyone and can only talk about my own experience, I visit him to help control my blood pressure, but he often tweeks other points including my sugar craving.

dacaB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Motivation...mmmmmm

One of the largest, most comprehensive diabetes studies conducted to date showed that keeping blood sugar levels as close to normal as possible through aggressive management slows the onset and progression of eye, kidney and nerve diseases caused by diabetes. In fact it demonstrated that any sustained lowering of blood sugar helps, even if the person has a history of poor control.

Specifically it found that lowering and maintaining more constant blood sugar levels reduced the risk of eye disease by 76%, kidney disease by 50%, nerve disease by 60% and cardiovascular disease by 35%.

The above was C/Pd from the www.
I was diagnosed type 2 almost 12 months ago. The real danger was plain to me and has been, is my sole motivation. I have lost 5 1/2 stone ( yes I was big ) by not eating the things that we all know are going to be bad for me. I cut out all obvious carbs for 6 months or so and have not eaten any extra sugar at all.

I don't want to go blind, I don't want to die full of wee, I don't want to die shaking uncontrollably and not being able to control bodily functions, I don't want to die in agony of heart desease.

Motivation ??????? you need motivation..............

All the best Choccy :)

Helenababe

Hi 'chocoholicnomore'.

Have a look at 'Whitbyjets' low carb choc treats. It's on the low carb forum, thread - 'Chocolate Paradise'.

These would be great at Christmas for you. I'm going to make some. :)

Sula

I have fallen off the waggon big time. After low carbing religiously for almost 4 years, I have for the last 3 months become blase about what I eat. I know at worst it will kill me and at best will result in some terrible complication but I cannot control myself. I think the stress of a house move, my mother dying after a very unpleasant illness and on a lesser note coping with lots of visitors and a love of cooking have all been contributing factors. Sometimes I have ceased to worry, with a sort of denial of being diabetic, almost as if I am invincible, I don't even bother to test after eating bread ,cake or whatever. At other times I panic but I still cannot regain control. My family don't seem to be concerned anymore either, no-one bothers what I am eating and this encourages it in a way, but then I have always had to cook as normal for them and I have found this very hard. I really wanted to do the 600 cal diet but having family around has made it impossible. I have just baked some lovely bread and I am thinking of having another slice already ( I've had one ) I have to bake bread as all my family love it. HELP! what can I do?

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
You've had a lot on your plate, Sula, and stress does funny things to us! What you're doing is comfort eating, and stressing yourself even more by worrying about it. A vicious circle.

Try to relax a little, and forgive yourself. You know how to handle your diabetes, so if you just start sneaking up on it bit by bit you'll eventually get your control back. I find that if I say to myself "yes, you can have 1 more slice", quite often I don't! Just being perverse, as usual.

Do you still do your fasting test in a morning? I find that if I miss that out, for some reason I find it easier to "sin".

See if you can talk to your family and get them a bit more on-side. But don't forget, they'll have been stressed too, by the move and by your mother's death, so they've probably got their own problems at present. It's not that they don't care about you, just that they're distracted at the moment. Maybe doing something together one week-end would help everyone relax? even something like going to buy a Christmas tree together (if you have one).

I'd also like to refer you to the 'Low Carb Recipe' sub-forum on the Board Index. If you cook some of these super recipes for everyone (it won't hurt them!) it will help you get back on track. And have a look at 'Chocolate Paradise' for when you start thinking about Christmas.

And finally - whenever you feel down, or want to have a rant, post on here! You'll always find someone to listen and give you some support.

Keep in touch!

Viv 8)

Sula

Thanks Viv
I think it helps to know someone understands how I feel! So far today I have managed to behave myself so maybe I will take it half a day at a time! I think telling yourself OK if you want it have it rather than you must not does in some strange way help as you feel you do have a choice. I want to get a grip on the run up to Christmas as I would like to eat a few treats on Christmas Day as for the past 3 Christmasses I have stuck rigidly to low carbing. Thanks Viv for your support ,I find this forum invaluable, if it wasn't for this site I would not have known what to do when I was first diagnosed as the only advice I was given was 'cut back on sugar'. I do test occasionally in the morning and I am always 5.3 or under, when I over indulge I rarely go above 10 but going above 7.7 for me is scarily too high.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
After a month and a half of being diagnosed, giving up suger, potatoes, bread, rice, pasta, cakes biscuits, chocolates, and taking the tablets instead, 7.7 is a low reading for me.

I still enjoy cooking though, even if nothing is crispy, and most of it is trying to give a wok full of vegetables a different flavour to yesterday.

My family do support me though, my kids wouldn't give me any of their birthday cake last week, and I replaced the dorritos with pepper for the dips.

The hardest part is the snacks for me, low carb never really fills me up, and there's nothing really to nibble on like the packet of crisps used to be.

WhitbyJet

Aw Sula - so sorry for the loss of your Mum
Douglas and Sula - your stories make me feel so sad, I know its hard having to reduce or cut out the foods that you used to love so much, but these are the very foods that make us ill.
I remember when I felt like you do now, I was so depressed wanted to jump off Scarborough Valley Bridge, I struggled so hard with this darned diabetes, I was ill all the time, my bg all over the place, mostly high, the guilt whenever I took a bite off a sandwich.
Things came to a head when I left work and went straight over to the bridge, I was standing there looking down and sobbing, I dare not jump, I felt such a failure, not control over diabetes, not enjoying my food, not even daring to jump.
I phoned my lovely husband, he came straight for me, never forget how pale he looked, it gave us both a fright, we drove home, asked the kids to turn off the TV, we needed a serious family talk.
I explained in simple terms about my blood sugars and food, they understood, we talked about low carb, I had some recipes saved already, everyone agreed, cook low carb meals, eg casseroles, stews, roasts, fry ups, add the low carb accompaniments (in those days I only knew about cauli mash) and for the non low carbers have either rice or spuds available. We didnt cook chips at home because once a week we had fish and chips from the chippie.
Well I tell you, it was a turning point, for all of us, the children, bless them they wanted their Mum to be well, they suddenly showed an interest, Johanna pushed away her spuds and said let me try this cauli mash, surprise surprise she loved it. The kids and I made fun of it experimenting with new recipes, they joined in, gradually they really enjoyed eating the new low carb way. Nowadays they dont even bother with spuds or rice or pasta, if they want to have some they shove it into the pan or micro themselves but its not happening. We had the liver dish with buttery mash that I posted in the low carb recipe forum yesterday, they all ate it, if they had wanted spuds, they would have done them, I mean they only take about 10mins in the microwave.
Since then I have tried so many new recipes, even the kids friends are asking me 'how did you make those delish chicken nuggets, my Mum wants the recipe - ah I made them low carb of course. Same with pizzas, the kids adore them and its not just our kids but their friends too. Thing is they know that they have the option of eating other non-low carb stuff, and now and then I would be more than willing to cook it for them, I go out to work, am doing voluntary work in the community, so am busy, but family comes first.
I bake a multiseed loaf and a white loaf of bread, low carb, gradually friends of ours have come round to our way of eating, I used to cater different for them all, now they would be offended if I did, they too say its all such a good way to introduce more veggies into our diet. Nobody is missing out though, the food is delicious, I mean look at some recipes I posted, there are photos, they speak for themselves.
Snacks, berries, fresh or frozen with as bit of cream or greek yogurt, nuts, almonds, etc - if you eat more fat and protein you will feel full and wont be longing for carby foods.
Of course not every family wants to go low carb, but as I said, sit down, talk, reach a happy medium, how nice is a roast chicken with lots of lovely low carb roast veggies, we have extra portion of chicken and veggies, they have a couple of roasties.
Try out the fritter recipes I posted with dips, hell, last week I had a house full of kids ranging from age 2 to 19 to look after, we made celeriac, vegetable and radish fritters, served with dips and ketchup, my word, we couldnt make them fast enough.
Dont go the battle alone, chances are all the family will benefit from healthier eating, get them all in in the act.
Good luck and big, big hugs to make you feel better, it will all come out in the wash is what my Mum keeps on saying when things look all bleak.

chocoholicnomore

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What a really encouraging post, Whitbyjet.
You done so well to come from such a negative place to where you are now.
Your post gives us all courage and hope (especially us newbies) and makes us realise that we are not alone and others feel the same or similar and have managed to come through the other side.
Your strength and determination has worked wonders.
Well done to you :clap: :clap:

Sula

Oh Whitby Jet you have done so well to come from being so down to contemplate jumping off a bridge ( and diabetes certainly makes you feel that way) to where you are now you are amazing. Your recipes sound wonderful and everyone on the site seems to love them but I can't find them? I think I have got into a rut with my low carbing and need to try new things.. My control is improving but I relapsed again today and had fish and chips,( 10.4 on the richter scale) I am so shocked by myself as everyone used to be in awe at my self control but I knew I would crack one day. My problem is I have always loved cooking different things especially puddings and I have just perfected pastry! with an astonishingly easy recipe which I wish I hadn't found, I love cooking Christmas puddings and mince pies at this time of year and then surprise surprise I am gutted that I can't eat them. My grandson cooks the most gorgeous sticky chocolate pudding and having resisted for 3 years I have just cracked. I miss everything and my cooking skills seemed to have improved since I am not supposed to eat the stuff. I know the only answer is to say to the family 'I'm sorry but baking bread and cakes is off' but I feel I am then forcing them to live my way of life. I don't feel my husband or family understand at all or want to help, if pushed my husband will say 'I couldn't do it' and he's so right about that but it doesn't make him more understanding of my situation. I feel if I don't get control soon I will be in real trouble. Thanks for the hug I needed that!

ClaireG 06

Another one sending you a ((hug)).

I love cooking and recipes and make it a personal challenge to try and make them as carb friendly as possible. That's not to say i don't have bad days where i eat things i know i shouldn't because i do! I just and get back on the bandwagon and don't beat myself up about it.

Lots of Whitby's recipes are on this thread along with a host of others :D

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=4871

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Sula said:
Oh Whitby Jet you have done so well to come from being so down to contemplate jumping off a bridge ( and diabetes certainly makes you feel that way) to where you are now you are amazing. Your recipes sound wonderful and everyone on the site seems to love them but I can't find them? I think I have got into a rut with my low carbing and need to try new things.. My control is improving but I relapsed again today and had fish and chips,( 10.4 on the richter scale) I am so shocked by myself as everyone used to be in awe at my self control but I knew I would crack one day. My problem is I have always loved cooking different things especially puddings and I have just perfected pastry! with an astonishingly easy recipe which I wish I hadn't found, I love cooking Christmas puddings and mince pies at this time of year and then surprise surprise I am gutted that I can't eat them. My grandson cooks the most gorgeous sticky chocolate pudding and having resisted for 3 years I have just cracked. I miss everything and my cooking skills seemed to have improved since I am not supposed to eat the stuff. I know the only answer is to say to the family 'I'm sorry but baking bread and cakes is off' but I feel I am then forcing them to live my way of life. I don't feel my husband or family understand at all or want to help, if pushed my husband will say 'I couldn't do it' and he's so right about that but it doesn't make him more understanding of my situation. I feel if I don't get control soon I will be in real trouble. Thanks for the hug I needed that!

I'm the cook in our house, but I'm more the main course.
My kids still do pastry, cakes etc. I still cook with them, but just can't eat it later.
I don't think there is an easy answer though, I don't thnk I could stop them, or me, cooking things I can't eat. I have started trying some of the low carb recipes, some are worth it, but I have to agree, not as good as the choclate birthday cake last week. About the only thing I could eat on it was the candles!
My wife does eat food I cook with me though, but I do alternatives for them as well.
Today, it' ox tail for the first time since being diagnosed. They really like that as a thck stew, with potatoes carrots, dumplings, thickened with flour, so ths time it's going to be the meat and common ingredients in the slow cooker, then the potaotes etc in one pan, the beans cauli etc in another.
Then mixed as I serve.

I still haven't got used to coffee without sugar though. (I doubt I ever will)

Hang in there.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I've just got the November-december tesco mag, it's got some really good christmas recipes in it.
A lot of them look low carb to start with, some need a little bit of adjusting, but for the first christmas I'm having as type 2 it certainly looks like it'll be more interesting than I was thinking it would be.

elviscole

my willpower doesnt exist, i seem to go for a few weeks without chocolate then bang, cant stop eating it, i have a recipe for double choc fruit cake that ive perfected and as for jaffa cakes :crazy:
i do seem for the last 3months have been feeling down and dont know why so have probably been on the choc even more, ive got my 6 month check up on friday so would imagine my Hba1c will be on the high side, last 1 was around 7.3

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hi all,
Eating chocolate - release's the bodys endorphins these are our feel good hormones!
I too feel much better when had a chocolatey nibble!
I only buy in the snack size in the multi-bags though to keep the nibble snack sized...
Its ' just enough ' to enjoy and not do too much damage either!
My hubby after visting the gym , had a lite bite lunch followed by a choccy snack sized nibble is FULL of endorphins and cant do enough to help me.... :lol:
This is when I ask him to tackle all the DIY jobs needing doing , he is currently putting up new curtain poles after painting the garden gate! :angel:
Anna.x :D

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Douglas99, I use Splenda tabs in coffee ( 1 tab = 1 teaspoon) and granulated Splenda instead of sugar, in cooking. I can't tell the difference - maybe others can.

Like you, I can't get used to coffee without sugar, but I like it with Splenda.

Viv 8)

Dougie22

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I had a bit of a willpower issue last night and was quite surprised when doing the calculations to find out that the comparatively tiny M&S Pannacotta was 420 calories and that two glasses of Baileys liquer (300ml total) came out at 1000 calories!!!!!

Lesson... read the label before eating, not the next morning.

Fasting 7.4 so not toooo bad but certainly won't have helped the weight loss target.

Back on the wagon today, gym tomorrow and I'll be ok again for a while.