Appointment missed

powerley

Type of diabetes
Type 1
About two years ago I had an appointment booked to see the diabetic nurse, on the day of the appointment I got called into work urgently for a meeting, which ended up with getting made redundant. Yes I missed my appointment, the surgery sent me a letter stating that I must send a letter stating why I missed the appointment, and an apology to the surgery manager. Which I did, but since then I cannot bring myself to go back to the surgery to make an appointment. So I haven't seen anyone about my diabetes for two years. I know its not good. But would be interested to see what people think about the whole situation.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

I'm sorry you lost your job.

I missed an appointment a few years back. Long story but it involved the care of my mother who has since been diagnosed Alzthiemers. (Plans had to change.)

However, I've never had any recollection of needing to crawl over broken glass by ways of an apology.

Actually there was also an eye apointment where I was to drive my wife's car in & she was to drive me back & the vehicle lost drive on a duel carriageway.. But I did manage to phone in along with the breakdown service. The clinc was empathic about the situation.

Somtimes stuff gets in the way.
Your health is paramount & I'm sure your surgery can't remember the last two weeks, let alone 24 months?

Last edited:

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
About two years ago I had an appointment booked to see the diabetic nurse, on the day of the appointment I got called into work urgently for a meeting, which ended up with getting made redundant. Yes I missed my appointment, the surgery sent me a letter stating that I must send a letter stating why I missed the appointment, and an apology to the surgery manager. Which I did, but since then I cannot bring myself to go back to the surgery to make an appointment. So I haven't seen anyone about my diabetes for two years. I know its not good. But would be interested to see what people think about the whole situation.

As has been said as far as your doctor's surgery is concerned it's in the distant past and long forgotten so make an appointment by phone or face to face and get your health sorted out I take it they are still supplying your diabetic needs ie insulin test strips etcetera also if you want to go for cgm or libre you have to go through the doctors surgery and seek his/her's help I believe.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Well presumably they're still prescribing your insulin so you're still in their good books! Honestly, you are one in a million of their patients who have missed appointments and received a standard 'telling off' letter. I have missed the odd appointment myself last minute and whilst I do not advocate this, it is not a hanging offence and I'm not sure I would be happy to write a letter of apology for doing it once. Just make an appointment, it is no big deal, nothing to worry about and to YOUR benefit. I suspect you have let it go on so long that you are thinking it is something it is not, THEY won't have given you a second thought in relation to your 2 years ago, missed appointment. I'm surprised they haven't browbeaten you into getting down there though. Go on, make the call. xxx

Reactions: powerley

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey there, I am sure you will not have been the 1st person or last ..... to have missed an appointment .... it happens to the best of us at times .... that's life. I am sure there will have been a lot more than you who have missed an appointment/s in the last 2 years. Make the appointment it is VERY important you do, it is your health. Take care. I wish you well.

Reactions: Chiefy and powerley

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
While I completely understand the impulse to not ever set foot in there again, after being treated like an obstinate child rather than an adult dealing with rather life-changing events... You do need check ups. You could try switching to a different practice?

Reactions: powerley

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
But would be interested to see what people think about the whole situation.

Sorry to hear of redundancy, hopefully as that door closed and better one opened. As for seeing the DN, phone up and make the appointment, they don't bare grudges and in the circumstances, won't be making any judgements.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When they make issues about missed appointments, it is usually the financial aspect that is the main problem.
Missed appts cost the NHS millions every month, via a combination of wasted time, admin, staff pay, etc.etc.
And every so often surgerys run campaigns to try to communicate this. In my surgery the sign on the wall flashes up messages saying 'Did you know, every missed appt costs us £xx' and 'If you miss an appointment, you took the time someone else could have used.'
It always makes me smile, because if you are sitting in the waiting room reading those messages, then... guess wot... you turned up, didn't you?'

Please remember you are not personally responsible for this huge financial deficit. That takes many people, in many places, over many days.
All you are responsible for is one missed appointment - and you contacted them, explained and apologised. Job done. Lesson learned. Time to move on.

Me? I have missed one appt 5 years ago (forgot, due to thinking Wednesday was Tuesday) and I have rung up and changed the times and dates in advance on long standing appts at the endo clinic a couple of time because, you know, life happens.

We all know that sometimes we miss buses, and meetings and shopping lists, and wear our socks inside out. That's life.
I expect the surgery have completely forgotten about it, and if someone there ever does bring the subject up, then you can be perfectly justified in giving them a 1000 yard stare and saying 'the cost of my missed appt has just increased - yet again - because you have wasted part of THIS appt discussing it'.

Reactions: KK123

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
My hospital gave me a number to text if I need to cancel, I think all hospitals do this in Singapore. I get a reminder text about three days beforehand, and another 24hrs before, the last reminder you are asked to confirm Y/N

Reactions: porl69

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
The only way I will miss my next appointment with my neurologist is if I don't answer the phone.

Put a missed appointment down to experience and move on with your life all that happened was your doctor had an extended coffee break got slightly miffed and then forgot it they like you have far more to worry about than you missing an appointment.